What to do; first road bike 2nd bike idea?!

airbusboy
airbusboy Posts: 231
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
Good Evening all,

Currently looking into buying my first road bike, which i'm sure you will all agree is a difficult decision.. I have been riding mountain bikes for years but recently found out how much i enjoy road riding, also living in london it makes alot of sense and cycling most definitely beats running . I'm happy at spending up to about £1500 (maybe a squeeze more is necessary) and have test rode a few bikes( trek 2.3-2.5 etc) ,and definitely a carbon fan (giant defy).

**thought**

Given the time of year i'm thinking it would be an opportunity to buy a long lasting bike suitable for commuting (possibly?), training and generally pleasant winter rides and then if needs-be 'invest' in a carbon race bike in the summer, potentially for the odd race/sportive. ( making my first bike into my 2nd bike!)

What do people think of this? If so what kind of bikes would people recommend, steel, ti etc?? condor, planet x ??

Or Shall i forget the 1st bike 2nd bike idea and buy a pimpy number now??!!

All advance is appreciated.

AB (apologises for any grammar errors)

***moved into 'buying advice'**
'Ride hard for those who can't.....'

Comments

• milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Find something second hand for about £500. Bank the rest of your cash. If you like road riding, and come summer, if you still fancy a few races and aren't completely happy with the first bike get a new flashy bike with saved money (and other money you've since saved).
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I went for second hand ribble 853 ( still use it in winter) just to ride in winter and see if I was going to carry on, then boutght 2nd hand carbon but these days planet x have and ribble have some very competative carbon bikes also winter so I ould prob advise for ribble winter bike now, then carbon in summer once your sure your going to continue.