Which bike?

huwsspeedster
huwsspeedster Posts: 24
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Currently doing my 25mile trip to work on my mountain bike! 1hr 45mins is too long to really do regularly! Looking for a fast comfy commuter? Have been thinking about a Sportive but not sure which way to go? I am the best part of 17stone so need a strong one!!!
Any advice appriciated!
I have a grand on the cycle scheme!!
Thanks

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,378
    Don't like seeing anyone's post going unanswered

Yes I agree that distance is too long to be doing regularly on an MTB, though for a quick fix put slick tyres on (i used City Jets). I my experience it was worth about 2mph. Doesn't seem like much but soon adds up in minutes saved

GB155, a regular contributor, is 20 odd stone* and rides a Ribble Winter Trainer with no issues

IIRC ribble does cycle to work

Good Luck!!

*half the man he used to be
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    Personally my favourite commuting bikes are racers/audax bikes however for your weight a CX bike with slicks might fit the bill a little better.

Or actually, Gary Fisher are doing some bikes that are their CX frame and wheelset but road tyres and gearing this year!
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There isn't much, if any, difference between the strength of the frame on a CX bike or a proper racer - assuming both are made from the same metals.

I was 16stone (not much lighter now to be honest). I commute on a Giant SCR3 road bike, (now been replaced with the Defy) I have no real complaints about the bike handling my weight + bag.

Don't buy into the whole weight issue by weight conscious svelte 10stone men who can't get their head around anyone weighing more than 12stone. Bikes and the alloy/metal/carbon fibre used to make is strong.

At a grand you could go for any number of bikes, more than we can list and there all, arguably, comparable to each other. A good starting point would be:

Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    Specialized Allez
    Kuota Korsa Lite
    Giant Defy
    Trek 1.2
    Cannondale

Incidentally I also own a carbon fibre bike and have no problems with that despite my weight. So I shouldn't worry too much.

When buying a bike remember to set aside money for:

Helmet
    Lights
    D-lock
    Innertube, pump, tyre levers
    Clothing

And other accessories.

Best advice anyone can give you is to try them out at a shop, get sized properly and go for the one you feel most comfortable with
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    as DDD correctly pointed out road vs CX frame strength are exactly the same, the CX however will have different geometry more hybrid/mtb/roadie that sportive/roadie if that makes sense, it works well for my old back, and still plenty fast when it needs to be.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • boardman any day, they do a nice new cyclocross...
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    25 miles at both ends of a working day at 17 stone and on a mountain bike is impressive. :D I would be pooped. :oops:
    Sorry, not much use on bike advice though other than to say I recently chose a fast hybrid rather than the lower riding position of a road bike due to my early onset middle aged spread.
  • I am 16.5 stone (now!) and I commute on a Specialized Singlecross, fixed, around 30 miles a day. I also have a Trek Madone. Neither give me problems because of my weight, although I do run wheels with a fairly high spoke count, as I find this take my weight better.

I would think that any quality CX or Road bike would give you the comfort and pace you are looking for.
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE
  • Save your durability worries for wheels. Get some made for you (won't cost a bomb - promise!) with min 28 spokes.

Your wheels absorb a lot more punishment than your frame, day in, day out.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    chrishumes wrote:
    boardman any day, they do a nice new cyclocross...

I've experianced their build quality first hand and quality control is NOT their strong point!
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    bigease wrote:
    I am 16.5 stone (now!) and I commute on a Specialized Singlecross, fixed, around 30 miles a day. I also have a Trek Madone. Neither give me problems because of my weight, although I do run wheels with a fairly high spoke count, as I find this take my weight better.

I would think that any quality CX or Road bike would give you the comfort and pace you are looking for.

In your photo, how do you get your bike to stand up with nothing supporting it.... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kona Jake/ Jake the Snake / Major Jake etc depending on budget
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    As Greg says, the wheels will take the punishment, so some good, strong handbuilts, built specifically to your weight will help with the comfort (especially important over longer distances if you want to do sportives). Pete Matthews and Harry Rowlands are two names of wheelbuilders that are often mentioned.

CX bikes are good commuters - I have the Kona Jake which Salsajake mentioned. They'l be faster than mtbs if you put slick tyres (rather than cross-specific tyres on them) oer your commuting distance. (Have to say though, 25 miles on a mtb in 1.45 is not bad at all :) ).

There are some very nice CX bikes reviewed in this month's Cycling Plus. It's well worth buying; you'll get a very good idea what CX bikes are all about. And, it's for some of the reasons mentioned in that article, and because I have one myself, that, if you want to do sportives, I'd aim for a road bike, rather than a CX.

The front brake squeal on CX bikes (due to the type of brakes they use - cantilever brakes, as opposed to calipers on "true" road bikes) is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a tad annoying. I suspect it's my set up, and I'm fiddling around with it atm, but it's a common problem. My own experience is that caliper brakes are stronger than cantis, particularly in the wet. You'll find sharp or long descents in most UK sportives and, if it's wet, I would rather have caliper brakes than cantis.

Also, gearing-wise, you'll be better of with a 50/34 outer/inner ring combination than a more standard cross gearing of 46/36 or 46/38 because (a) you'll have easier gears for the hills, and (b) bigger gears for the flatter sections.

As mentioned above, Ribble's road bikes are worth looking, as is the Boardman range. You'll get something nice for your budget. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Have a look at the Genesis Croix de Fer CX bike. Steel frame, loads of strength and a smooth ride. Disc brakes for reliable stopping in all weathers. I am very pleased with mine, but have changed tyres to 28mm Vittoria Randonneurs and fitted mudguards/rack.
    The riding position is similar to my old hybrid but gives the option of using the 'drop' bits of the bars for more speed downhill!
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • DonDaddyD. That Magic that is!! (Otherwise known as Paint Shop Pro!), The bottom peddle was actually on a brick.
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE