Got the modding bug?

Dan Dare
Dan Dare Posts: 367
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi I'm new to the forum, and apart from having a BMX and a mountain bikes as a kid I'm new to 'proper' MTB'ing too. I bought a Specialized Hardrock disc 2010 back in August as I wanted to improve my general fitness, join some friends on the trails and save some money on petrol! I've been commuting to work on the bike ever since (it's only 3.5 miles each way :) ) and I've enjoyed the trails at Coed Llandegla and Gisburn forest along with some up in the Peak district and my local spots at Delamere forest.

Anyway, to my point. Straight out of the box the bike was great and the commute is a breeze, even the first few times out at Delamere the bike performed well enough (even following friends on bikes much more suited to the conditions) It was after my first ride out in the Peaks (Ladybower) and a run out at Gisburn that I realised I was being limited by a couple of things. My brakes (I had Tektro mechanical discs) and the Suntour forks (80mm coil sprung). I had already changed the pedals for some flat DMR v8's as the plastic ones that came with the bike looked pretty lame, and it was then that I got myself some Avid Juicy three hydraulic disc brakes, and now I've changed the forks too for some Rock Shox Tora 318 solo air. It feels awesome over the rough stuff now 8) I thought I was bad with my car but I'm getting as bad with the bike! I probably should of just bought a Rockhopper in the first place :roll: But then again where is the fun in that! :lol: (oh and I've also got myself a cheap but blinding P7 torch for some night rides, mounted it to the bars using my old reflector clamps 8) )

So anyone else been bitten by the bug?

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I would think 99.9% of the folks on here have the same bug :wink:

Glad you're enjoying it.
  • Dan Dare
    GHill wrote:

No doubt, just didn't think I'd get it so soon! :lol:
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    it takes minutes to get bitten again!
    at least now i can afford it unlike when i was younger lol
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    I have the mod bug in my blood, I have haven't had an unmodified car or bike for over 10 years.

I've just been persuaded not to upgrade the wheels on my bike, but it is an area you should look at next.
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    Dan, we are on the same path but your going faster than me!

I got the same bike ('09 version) in june. changed the peddles (DMR V8, the same as you) and also the the tryres and it has coped admirably with everything i've thrown at it but after some very long, very rocky rides in N wales i'm very aware that i need a better fork and guess what: settled on the Tora as well: wierd!

only thing is i've worn out the whole drivetrain, so thats eaten into the fork budget for now :cry: fitted the new chainrings last night: shiney.
  • GHill wrote:

Glad you're enjoying it.

I will second that from my experience it only gets worse. All the best
    So Far!
  • GHill wrote:

Yep, It's all part of it, I honestly can't believe my wolf-ridge is still all standard parts after two months...really need to get on to that!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    GHill wrote:

Yep, It's all part of it, I honestly can't believe my wolf-ridge is still all standard parts after two months...really need to get on to that!

Are you feeling a bit under the weather?
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    Dan Dare wrote:
    Hi I'm new to the forum, and apart from having a BMX and a mountain bikes as a kid I'm new to 'proper' MTB'ing too. I bought a Specialized Hardrock disc 2010 back in August as I wanted to improve my general fitness, join some friends on the trails and save some money on petrol! I've been commuting to work on the bike ever since (it's only 3.5 miles each way :) ) and I've enjoyed the trails at Coed Llandegla and Gisburn forest along with some up in the Peak district and my local spots at Delamere forest.

Anyway, to my point. Straight out of the box the bike was great and the commute is a breeze, even the first few times out at Delamere the bike performed well enough (even following friends on bikes much more suited to the conditions) It was after my first ride out in the Peaks (Ladybower) and a run out at Gisburn that I realised I was being limited by a couple of things. My brakes (I had Tektro mechanical discs) and the Suntour forks (80mm coil sprung). I had already changed the pedals for some flat DMR v8's as the plastic ones that came with the bike looked pretty lame, and it was then that I got myself some Avid Juicy three hydraulic disc brakes, and now I've changed the forks too for some Rock Shox Tora 318 solo air. It feels awesome over the rough stuff now 8) I thought I was bad with my car but I'm getting as bad with the bike! I probably should of just bought a Rockhopper in the first place :roll: But then again where is the fun in that! :lol: (oh and I've also got myself a cheap but blinding P7 torch for some night rides, mounted it to the bars using my old reflector clamps 8) )

UMMM yeah im obssesed with modding my bike. :D
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • Dan Dare
    DamonC wrote:

I've just been persuaded not to upgrade the wheels on my bike, but it is an area you should look at next.

Cheers, they're on my 'To do' list :wink:
    tsenior wrote:
    Dan, we are on the same path but your going faster than me!

I got the same bike ('09 version) in june. changed the peddles (DMR V8, the same as you) and also the the tryres and it has coped admirably with everything i've thrown at it but after some very long, very rocky rides in N wales i'm very aware that i need a better fork and guess what: settled on the Tora as well: wierd!

only thing is i've worn out the whole drivetrain, so thats eaten into the fork budget for now :cry: fitted the new chainrings last night: shiney.

Hi mate, great minds think alike hey? :lol: I'm still running the original tyres on mine (done nearly 600 miles now :) ) They're LK Fast traks, good for the commute and hard packed trails but a bit crap in the muddy stuff so they're next to be changed I think! Don't think you can go wrong with the Tora fork for the price TBH. I got mine on Wiggle (click me), and there are always discount codes for more money off :)
    nwmlarge wrote:
    it takes minutes to get bitten again!
    at least now i can afford it unlike when i was younger lol

Hi mate, I recognise your username from over on e36coupe.com, I'm dan323ci over there :)
    Turrican wrote:

UMMM yeah im obssesed with modding my bike. :D

I can see myself getting that way :lol:

• Dan Dare
    Here's a few photos!

First ride (I've removed the reflectors now :wink: )
    6254_238998350704_892605704_7740423_3297346_n.jpg

Out in the Peak district
    14336_321107065704_892605704_9285908_3248145_n.jpg

14336_321107110704_892605704_9285913_860865_n.jpg

A wet afternoon at Gisburn
    15149_347922775704_892605704_9688476_8317176_n.jpg

New brakes the MTE P7 and the Tora's!
    15149_353978385704_892605704_9766397_4853342_n.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg
  • Toras look good on bike , what next?
    So Far!
  • Dan Dare
    estevens wrote:
    Toras look good on bike , what next?

Cheers, I reckon some more substantial tyres and some locking handlebar grips!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Upgrading stock bikes is for beginners.

Real mountainbikers build from the frame up. No more price point parts!
  • Dan Dare
    Alex wrote:

Awesome, maybe one day I'll be a real mountainbiker too! :wink:
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Alex wrote:

Ordered my frame this morning, should arrive next week, feels like graduation now you have said that :P
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    house , car , entertainment system , girlfriends - they've all been modified.
    as for bike ?
    no wife , no kids , adult salary - oh my , you can imagine the money im spashing out
    on my felt at the moment.
    :lol:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I wouldn't bother with new wheels until you have destroyed the old ones.

The only original parts on my bike are the seat, head stem, bars, grips, crank and chain rings. To be fair at least 50% of the spend was replacing failed components, but I got the modding bug when I transplanted a full sus frame earlier in the year.

The only problem you get is geometry.

I quite like the idea of modding the wife.
    Where can I get a more sex less complaining mod?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Dan Dare wrote:

Oh god yes, nothing I own stays standard. Bikes, motorbikes, guitars, computers, if you can take bits off I do it. It's a disease, but, it does mean I get 2 hobbys for the price of one- mountain biking AND fannying about with mountain bikes :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    in the 1st year I've changed

Pedals
    Seat
    Bars
    Stem
    Grips twice
    Forks
    front wheel
    tyres

Still more to do, when funds allow
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • it's when you realise your nice bike is too nice to go to the shops/into town on so buy a rat bike... then you get a-pimpin' until that is too nice. I'm about to start another road bike...

You also end up with odd side projects like my completely white inbred (see sig)
  • Dan Dare
    it's when you realise your nice bike is too nice to go to the shops/into town on so buy a rat bike... then you get a-pimpin' until that is too nice. I'm about to start another road bike...

You also end up with odd side projects like my completely white inbred (see sig)

The all white project looks pretty cool, won't hide the dirt too well though :lol:

I'm on the lookout for my next purchase as my rear tyre is getting a bit low on tread and is pretty useless on anything but hard packed trails. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices a Panaracer Fire XC pro, a Panaracer Rampage or a Maxxis ADvantage. Decisions decisons...
  • rampage... my personal favourite tyre..
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    Dan, guess what? you got the same tyres i used to have!

VERY fast on hardpack and hardstanding but treacherous everywhere else.

I got the fire XC pro (snazzy red walls) given to me for free, theyre pretty good on most surfaces (not clayey mud though)

although if you go for those our bikes will then be even more similar :wink:
  • Dan Dare
    Well I've gone for the Rampage, the centre section looks like it won't be too draggy on the commute and the rest of the tyre looks knobbly enough for the forests! Although I could always keep the Fast trak LK for Mon-Fri and change the tyre for the trails on the weekends (I'm almost F1 quick at tyre changes now as I've had so many punctures! ) I'll try the Panaracer out first though.
  • if you're running a pair of them run them in opposite directions, ie the square face should point forwards on the front and rearwards on the back, so you get good braking with the front wheel and good traction with the rear.
  • Dan Dare
    if you're running a pair of them run them in opposite directions, ie the square face should point forwards on the front and rearwards on the back, so you get good braking with the front wheel and good traction with the rear.

Cheers for the tip :) I'm just replacing the rear for now but the front won't be far behind!
  • leon69
    leon69 Posts: 53
    GHill wrote:

Glad you're enjoying it.

To be honist harf of my love for MTB is swoping stuff out taking it to bits and putting it back to gether :P

I have a landcruiser (big 4x4) and in there forums we call this "man and his truck time" witch is priceless

So man and his bike time priceless, be it tricking your rig out or just giving it a wash :D
    If you dont bleed your not trying ...
  • beany123
    beany123 Posts: 133
    mate, I found my 04 marin alpine trail in the garage 4 weeks ago not touched it in 3yrs, all i can eat sleep and think about now is my bike and what bits i can buy to trick her up, ive totally stripped it down and creating list after list of bits i want!! my 35 week pregnant missis is goin spare cos im more bothered with what crank, headset, brakes, bb, forks, saddles etc etc to buy than her and the comin baby, but hey thats what its all about eh??!! like the look of them forks
    Giant Trance 1

Live to ride
  • Dan Dare
    beany123 wrote:
    mate, I found my 04 marin alpine trail in the garage 4 weeks ago not touched it in 3yrs, all i can eat sleep and think about now is my bike and what bits i can buy to trick her up, ive totally stripped it down and creating list after list of bits i want!! my 35 week pregnant missis is goin spare cos im more bothered with what crank, headset, brakes, bb, forks, saddles etc etc to buy than her and the comin baby, but hey thats what its all about eh??!! like the look of them forks

Haha Sounds like you've got it bad! The forks have been great so far although I've only done some local rides nothing too punishing yet. Fitted the Rampage rear tyre today, just in time for the snow! I rode into work this afternoon, no problems, the snow was nice and crunchy. Looking outside now though the snow seems to have gone rock hard and shiney like an ice rink. Coluld be an interesting ride home later!