Giro to DC

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2009 in Pro race
They've signed an agreement to start the Giro in DC in 2012

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    iainf72 wrote:

Oh FFS! Where will all this end? Prologue on the international space station? Construct a sentence using these three words satan,sold and soul.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    wicked wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Oh FFS! Where will all this end? Prologue on the international space station? Construct a sentence using these three words satan,sold and soul.

Are you kidding? Cycling sold it's soul around about 1903. The entire sport only exists because of headline grabbing stunts like this.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, the Tour was created to sell newspapers. With 400km stages on unsealed roads it was lunacy. But it's settled down since then. The Giro should keep its Italian heritage, there's no need to sell stages to the highest bidder since the country has THE perfect geography for a race, plenty of mountains, a scenic coastline, charming villages and stunning cities. The Italian tourist board should pay to keep the race at home.

I suspect Zomegnan just wants to race on American soil to steal the Tour of California's thunder, he's bound to be concerned that a growing race on America's west coast could steal good riders in May.
  • It hurts the real fans as the riders are not going to be riding sharpish for a few days after flying all the way back to Italy. Road cycling is European - going to the US with the second most prestigious stage race is a total sell out. I hope the French have more sense.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    it's a good idea. The adverse reaction is likely from the usual grouping of Armstong haters on here... this idea was floated 20 years ago for Canada. I think it's great and will get cycling reported more widely worldwide. Jetlag is the same for everybody or will Aurelio claim it affects different riders differently!? The Giro needs to compete directly with the Tour of California given Cali's organisers are now in their face, moving cali tour to May to clash with the Giro and compete for attention...Zomegan will rightly fear the Giro will start going the way of the Vuelta over the next decade-the move to September trashed the Vuelta IMO... it was on a par with the Giro in 1980s...was considered a very big win...now it is firmly lowest of the 3 and cali is now snapping at their heals....so get the big picture folks...drop the anti-yank stuff...cycling is a business!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I reckon DC is a bit far away - that is my only issue. I reckon Holland is a bit too far away for the Giro too.

London wasn't too bad for the Tour, as all they had to do was nip across the channel and have a stage there.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Jetlag is the same for everybody. The Giro needs to compete directly with the Tour of California given Cali's organisers are now in their face

I think you may be from the US so your opinion is to e expected. As for jetlag, my point is that, do you think the riders will be racing as hard, in the 2-3 days after flying, as they would be if they hadn't flown...this affects the viewing entertainment.

As for TofCal rivalling the Giro...that is just laughable. There is no way that EU fans will care much about the TofC. I hardly watch any of it when it is on. The riders that count will choose the Giro over the California.

Anyway, this is a tentative agreement - nothing comfirmed. Hopefully they will see sense.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Good to see Dave_1 getting nearly all his favourite topics into this, regardless of their relevance.

Personally I think this is a stupid idea, but I understand why RCS have done it. As usual though, it's the riders and support staff who'll suffer the most as they have to cope with the time differences and large amount of travel.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

As for TofCal rivalling the Giro...that is just laughable. There is no way that EU fans will care much about the TofC. I hardly watch any of it when it is on. The riders that count will choose the Giro over the California.

Is Scotland in the US? :wink:

Tour of California is a good race. You'll get a lot of people who'll be at the Tour doing it so I think you're underestimating how interesting it'll be for Europeans. Nibali will be there, wouldn't bet against the Schlecks doing it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Posibly, however the parcours is not to my liking...the Sclecks will be sticking to the same programme so given the TofC has moved dates, that would be a reason not to do it. But I haven't seen any quotes from them on the Giro or TofC yet so cannot say for sure.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • By 2012, The Tour of Cali should be on the downward slide. Has no relevance, IMO.

As for the concept, I find it daring, but extreme.
    It may well backire and leave Zomegnan with egg on his face, if all the sport's major players give it a miss, because they don't fancy a +6000 mile transfer

I'm not sure why this obvious flaw in thinking should only be evident to Lance haters.
    Something to do with a reality check, maybe? :?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    The US is a big market and one that isn't interested in the Giro (yet..).

It makes sense in that respect.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    It's certainly a crazy plan, but not surprising given the transfers and conditions Zomegnan has already inflicted upon the riders in recent years.

What's more enlightening about this thread is the hostility of some folk to even the concept of trying to take cycling to the US market. "England for the English", "Cycling for the Euros", and all that?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    iainf72 wrote:
    Is Scotland in the US? :wink:
    Posibly

What do you for a living again? I hope you're not a geographer :lol:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Jetlag is the same for everybody. The Giro needs to compete directly with the Tour of California given Cali's organisers are now in their face

I think you may be from the US so your opinion is to e expected. As for jetlag, my point is that, do you think the riders will be racing as hard, in the 2-3 days after flying, as they would be if they hadn't flown...this affects the viewing entertainment.

Anyway, this is a tentative agreement - nothing comfirmed. Hopefully they will see sense.

... some of the best riders will be heading to Tour of Cali and the Giro organisers are concerned likely..IMO this is fact even you will agree with... hopefully you will overcome your anti American feelings. I am not a yank I assure you
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Look, no matter how many good riders do Cali, its still on at a godawful hour, its available parcours is not a tenth of that the Giro could call on (although Big Bear will be a good stage) and once LA retires (again) the soft US money will flow away again.

Dave's idea that the Giro is on a downward slide like the Vuelta is not up to his usual historical analysis. The Giro survives/prospers because of the Tifosi (no matter what Mr Z craves in the way of internationalisation) and they only give a sh1t if the best Italians are there, which they will be. The Vuelta struggles cos no-one in Spain gives a toss

Strava is not Zen.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    There are two very different arguments going on here.

1. Is the the Tour of California going to prosper. In my opinion it seems to have legs and may start to really impact the Giro in the coming years. This is no Tour of Missouri, it could become like an early season Dauphine.

2. Whether its a good idea to start the Giro in DC. It ain't. Its a stupid stunt and the Giro is becoming the I'm a celebrity... of the cycling schedule. It will be all gimmicks and B listers if it continues with crap like this.

USA Dave, this has nothing to do with Lance Armstrong.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Come 2012. No Lance, No Levi. No Chris.
    If no US rider impacts upon the Euro scene, during that time, it'll be all down to Tyler Farrar and possibly, by then Taylor Phinney, to prop up Cali.
    A lot of the US cycling fanbase may well wash away, like sea froth on the beach.

As for the US being a big cycling market, it isn't, it's relatively small, but cash rich.

If I were looking to go places in 2012, the UK offers are far more sensible and lucrative option.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I had to check it wasn't April.

My Italian isn't great, but I presume they'll be having 3 or 4 stages over the pond then a transfer and a rest day ??
  • They're just talking. They haven't signed anything yet. The article just tells about an Italian delegation going to DC to have a talk with the local Mayor and they're acting real chummy and all. Doesn't mean much actually.
    The Tour de France people also took a trip to Quebec City once and they were received with wide open arms and we all know what happened in the end: nothing.