Cyclists slagged off in the Spectator

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
This week's Spectator has a quite comical posh girl ranting against cyclists 'Lycra-clad assasins on wheels'

"Being subjected to 'bicycle chat' is even worse than hearing people talk about their toddlers or their newfound faith ..."

Comments

• Isn't this cycle-friendly and cyclist Boris Johnson's (former) magazine?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Boris used to edit it, but he rarely even contributes articles these days.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Clearly BoJo left no influence on the direction or opinion of said publication on termination of his employment........
  • number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    Under the blonde buffoon much worse stuff was printed. Boris employed Taki, who wrote that "black men are thugs who breed like flies".

I can't see anything on the Spectator website?
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    *COUGH!!* Private eye is better *COUGH!!!* :wink:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    bice wrote:
    This week's Spectator has a quite comical posh girl ranting against cyclists 'Lycra-clad assasins on wheels'

"Being subjected to 'bicycle chat' is even worse than hearing people talk about their toddlers or their newfound faith ..."

She's not, actually, like, wrong, though, is she?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    biondino wrote:
    bice wrote:

She's not, actually, like, wrong, though, is she?

Depends on the company...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I don't know, my toddler is quite a little darling.

Why only yesterday she did just the cutest thing... :P
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    bice wrote:
    You actually read the Speccy?

I thought it was for posh people (and wannabes) to remind them how much better than the plebian masses they really are.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    bice wrote:

If that is their version of slaggin off cyclists, then I can live with that.

Its actually true
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    bice wrote:

It seems you have taken offence to one persons opinion ...

why complain on here why don't you send in a email .. but still no doubt you will win letter of the week ...

All because a Lass got the better of you ...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Simon E wrote:
    I thought it was for posh people (and wannabes) to remind them how much better than the plebian masses they really are.
    You thought wrong then. It's a good read, and a refreshing change from the BBC / Gaurdian / Independent news agenda that seems to have taken over the country these days. It's not entirely right wing facism most weeks, although anything that gives a home to Boris, Charles Moore and others of that ilk is bound to have a slant - up to you if that slant parallels your own view on life and the world as we know it.

It's a jolly good laugh in places, but I wouldn't claim it's better, or worse, than Private Eye - that's like comparing chalk and yellow bicycles. Hello and Take A Break it ain't though; the articles & reviews are a level or two above what you might find in those mags.

There are worse ways to spend a Thursday night than on the settee with a bottle of Cabo Svignun [sic] & this week's Spectator, chuntering about the state of the world to a disinterested lefty wife doing her 6th form marking & lesson planning. It's good to have your own views confirmed from time to time; The Speccy is a good place to do it.

8)