More Lance

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2009 in Pro race
2 more years

and no more "independant" dope testing

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE5B ... ws&rpc=401
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    'Silly speculation'? :roll: Didn't think it would be long before independent testibng bit the dust.
  • micron wrote:
    'Silly speculation'? :roll: Didn't think it would be long before independent testibng bit the dust.
    Did it ever even start?
    Nearly five months after Lance Armstrong announced with great fanfare that he was returning to cycling and would subject himself to a strict and transparent individual antidoping program, that program has been abandoned without ever beginning.

Don Catlin, the prominent antidoping scientist who was supposed to run Armstrong’s program, said Wednesday that they had decided earlier in the day to part ways, without Catlin’s analyzing a single blood or urine sample from Armstrong.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/sport ... cling.html
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Perhaps I should have said 'total transparency' :lol:
  • iainf72
    It was a year ago "that" Lance interview was in Pro Cycling.

I think I've still got the issue kicking around the house.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    It was a year ago "that" Lance interview was in Pro Cycling.

I think I've still got the issue kicking around the house.
    And today's Bikeradar news story is...

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/l ... ears-24329
  • maltiv
    maltiv Posts: 34
    "Of course we're missing a great champion like Alberto Contador but we'll still have the same chances of winning."

That makes sense. The team is the same, except that they are missing the guy who actually won and who is by far the best stage racer in the world, yet they have "the same" chances of winning. Hmm.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Just don't tell him about Malcolm Elliott :? :D
  • iain_j wrote:
    Just don't tell him about Malcolm Elliott :? :D

Or Jeannie Longo. She's stiil winning races at 103 years of age!
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    maltiv wrote:
    "Of course we're missing a great champion like Alberto Contador but we'll still have the same chances of winning."

That makes sense. The team is the same, except that they are missing the guy who actually won and who is by far the best stage racer in the world, yet they have "the same" chances of winning. Hmm.

Why is it that everything LA says is taken and dissected down to the last period, comma,
    and dotted I? All the anti LA crowd seems to think that all his words come from "on high".
    He's not allowed to make stupid, ignorant, or just pain wrong comments like the rest of
    humanity(including you and I). He must be held to higher standards than the people who judge him??? Try to remember that he is simply a man. Nothing more.

Mountains from molehills. :roll: :roll:
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    For the 2nd time in a row. I agree with dennis. Perhaps I'm ill :0)

What's interesting is that Lance went from the big boom announcement of total transparency and slowly chips away at it. First the Don Caitlin thing wasn't working, so he canned it. The Astana internal testing was used as the fallback from this. Now it seems the internal testing is going too.

One things for sure, he can no longer claim to be the most tested athlete in the world. Not sure how he could in the first place mind you.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    Why is it that everything LA says is taken and dissected down to the last period, comma,
    and dotted I? All the anti LA crowd seems to think that all his words come from "on high".
    He's not allowed to make stupid, ignorant, or just pain wrong comments like the rest of
    humanity(including you and I). He must be held to higher standards than the people who judge him??? Try to remember that he is simply a man. Nothing more.

Haven't we been over this a MILLION TIMES BEFORE? It's a cycling forum. We talk about cycling. Lance Armstrong is a cyclist. Ergo, we talk about Lance Armstrong. It's not complicated.

If we follow Dennis's reasoning all the way, nobody in the world would ever have a conversation about anything, because ultimately we're all going to die and nothing is important and we all may as well top ourselves right now. Still, a bit of peace and quiet would be nice, I'll admit that.
  • dennisn
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Haven't we been over this a MILLION TIMES BEFORE? It's a cycling forum. We talk about cycling. Lance Armstrong is a cyclist. Ergo, we talk about Lance Armstrong. It's not complicated.

If we follow Dennis's reasoning all the way, nobody in the world would ever have a conversation about anything, because ultimately we're all going to die and nothing is important and we all may as well top ourselves right now. Still, a bit of peace and quiet would be nice, I'll admit that.

I would admit to not being all that interested in what LA says, in apparent sharp contrast with the rest of the world. Maybe, if he was a friend or we were close, I might be more inclined to pick up on what he's saying, but his constant this and that to the press or whomever will listen is just too much. I like this forum because I feel like I'm having conversation and debate(or arguments) with friends. I guess my problem is that I'm NOT
    having a conversation with LA so I really can't get much of a feel for what he says or who he is any more than I can get a feel for who Boy George is. If you get my meaning?
    Everything that, so called, celeb's say seems so "prepackaged".
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Did I read that right? Dennis would like a feel of Boy George? :shock:

I'm sure that can be arranged Dennis.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    2 more years

Fantastic :)
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:

My mother in law knows his mum (Boy Georges, not Dennis) quite well so I could set the wheels in motion if you like?
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

My mother in law knows his mum (Boy Georges, not Dennis) quite well so I could set the wheels in motion if you like?

I can tell THAT was the wrong person to use as an example.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Dennis does have a point though his every utterance is dissected way beyond its importance. Indeed by doing so many posters are doing exactly what they say they want to avoid and thats give him all the limelight and make him centre of attention.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • maltiv
    maltiv Posts: 34
    dennisn wrote:
    maltiv wrote:

Nice reaction from a comment that wasn't even Lance hating, just pointing out a stupid statement. Would've pointed that out no matter who said it. But you're probably just a troll anyway, I don't think anyone are this retarded in reality.
  • dennisn
    maltiv wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    maltiv wrote:

Nice reaction from a comment that wasn't even Lance hating, just pointing out a stupid statement. Would've pointed that out no matter who said it. But you're probably just a troll anyway, I don't think anyone are this retarded in reality.

Sorry, thought I detected just a hint of sarcasm in your post, and is my habit, I jumped all over it.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Dennis does have a point though his every utterance is dissected way beyond its importance. Indeed by doing so many posters are doing exactly what they say they want to avoid and thats give him all the limelight and make him centre of attention.

OK, I guess I was a bit cranky when I posted my reply to Dennis, but I think my point is valid. We talk about lots of cyclists on here, and we often dissect quotes sentence by sentence, looking for snippets of info and trying to read between the lines. I think all fans of musicians, actors, sportspeople etc do the same thing. It's not exclusive to cycling or Armstrong.

Just look at the threads about Wiggins. That one sentence about Wigan is being brought up months later. We do the same for Cavendish, Boonen, Contador... lots of riders. So why is when we talk about Armstrong, someone invariably chips in with a comment about the "anti-Lance crowd" and all that crap? It winds me up, as does any crap about "fanboys".

People can say negative things about any cyclist in the world and no-one bats an eyelid. Say something even mildly negative about Armstrong and within three posts, someone is guaranteed to accuse you of having an agenda.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

OK, I guess I was a bit cranky when I posted my reply to Dennis, but I think my point is valid. We talk about lots of cyclists on here, and we often dissect quotes sentence by sentence, looking for snippets of info and trying to read between the lines. I think all fans of musicians, actors, sportspeople etc do the same thing. It's not exclusive to cycling or Armstrong.

Just look at the threads about Wiggins. That one sentence about Wigan is being brought up months later. We do the same for Cavendish, Boonen, Contador... lots of riders. So why is when we talk about Armstrong, someone invariably chips in with a comment about the "anti-Lance crowd" and all that crap? It winds me up, as does any crap about "fanboys".

People can say negative things about any cyclist in the world and no-one bats an eyelid. Say something even mildly negative about Armstrong and within three posts, someone is guaranteed to accuse you of having an agenda.

You and i both know that when it comes to Armstrong no other cycllist in here comes close to getting the attention and scrutiny of comment that he does. Its way way way out of proportion and you try to justify it by saying all cyclists get commented upon yea now and again they do but with LA its incessant and very very boring.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !