Stupid crash, 2.5m before the end of my morning commute

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
The bike shed at work has been "off limits" for two months now for H&S reasons. So this morning was the first use in a long time, and so the concrete path leading up to it had not been used for a long time; and it was slick with a coating of moss and general wet muck.

So, literally at walking pace, the front wheel darted out from under me and I was down. Fortunately I was able to get my hand down so no real damage apart from a grazed knee, unfortunately it was on the hand that was hurt earlier this week so it is now excruciatingly sore.

Misery.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    And what will be the third thing to happen? Watch out!!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Oh Dude no! Sorry to hear it - hope you heal up soon! Same kinda thing happened to me a few years back, last round-a-bout by office, diesel spillage = down I go :-(
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Roastie if you want time off work just call in sick like normal people do. Goodness! :wink:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Roastie wrote:
    The bike shed at work has been "off limits" for two months now for H&S reasons. So this morning was the first use in a long time, and so the concrete path leading up to it had not been used for a long time; and it was slick with a coating of moss and general wet muck.

So, literally at walking pace, the front wheel darted out from under me and I was down. Fortunately I was able to get my hand down so no real damage apart from a grazed knee, unfortunately it was on the hand that was hurt earlier this week so it is now excruciatingly sore.

Misery.

Well whatever you do don't mention it at work or the H&S people will ban the shed again.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    So you're earning your name! When we met, someone told me that a "roastie" is a road rash type graze, is it not? I've got a couple of "roasties" on my left knee and right elbow still from the accident.

Any hope you feel better soon...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Roastie wrote:

Misery.

Oh the Irony. Bad luck fella.
  • Sorry to hear about that and glad you are okay, it happens to the best of us. Am I sick for thinking this is still a little funny? How many times do I have to resist the urge to unclip my helmet 100 metres before ending my journey. Mrs. boat finished a long ride and promptly fell over in our drive :P
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • Roastie
    Thanks for the sympathies!
    I clouted the self same "pothole repair" that cause the hand injury in the first place last night (coming back from the shops), which caused a fair deal of pain, so I'm hoping I've had my quota now.

Cafewanda: Sympathy. I'm a guy, all I really want is sympathy. ;)

will: Yeah, I can imagine that they'd just ban people cycling to work or something equally stupid and knee jerk.

Headhunter: Yep! Stacked it once at 48mph - hence the nick :o.
  • Roastie wrote:
    Stacked it once at 48mph - hence the nick :o.

That was some hill... or on a velodrome?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited December 2009
    Roastie wrote:

Whichever, it's gonna sting a bit.
    There was a hill just west of swindon that I used to get up to 50. That is until I nearly got wiped out by a tractor exiting a concealed entrance. Adrenaline rush and a half...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Roastie wrote:
    Thanks for the sympathies!
    I clouted the self same "pothole repair" that cause the hand injury in the first place last night (coming back from the shops), which caused a fair deal of pain, so I'm hoping I've had my quota now.

Cafewanda: Sympathy. I'm a guy, all I really want is sympathy. ;)

will: Yeah, I can imagine that they'd just ban people cycling to work or something equally stupid and knee jerk.

Headhunter: Yep! Stacked it once at 48mph - hence the nick :o.
    If that was the steps to/from the car park, or the steps into the office, the safety officer would probably be regarded as negligent, no?
  • Roastie
    Roastie wrote:

Hill. South Africa. Quite a big one. Long straight sections. Good for +50 pretty much whenever.
  • Roastie wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

Hill. South Africa. Quite a big one. Long straight sections. Good for +50 pretty much whenever.

Sweet! There is one hill near parents home that is roman straight but awesomely steep - bitch to climb. Nice speeds on it too. Must have been quite a roastie too going that fast..
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wow, not sure I've seen over 36mph yet, 50 must be hairy, specially a tractor moment!

To the OP, if it makes you feel better I had two clipless moments this morning, on my arse twice!
  • Roastie
    If that was the steps to/from the car park, or the steps into the office, the safety officer would probably be regarded as negligent, no?
    To the contrary, I expect would somehow end up being found negligent in the "investigation" and threatened with disciplinary action. Not worth upsetting the hornets.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Trip or fall at work?
    www.injurylawyers4u.co.uk

Though with your recent track record they'd only crash into you whilst chasing your ambulance, so probably best not ;)

Rest up and do mention to someone that they may want to give the path a clean before someone gets seriously hurt - that way you've registered the problem and if it happens again they definitely are in the wrong.
    us0.png
  • Roastie
    Must have been quite a roastie too going that fast..
    Yebo! Tip of my nose, much of top lip, chin, both forearms, both palms (gloves obliterated), all fingertips except one, *rse (big chunk), patches on the outsides of both thighs, most of the skin off outside of left calf, new Time shoes trashed, glasses slightly grazed, helmet escaped with not a scratch.
  • Roastie wrote:
    Must have been quite a roastie too going that fast..
    Yebo! Tip of my nose, much of top lip, chin, both forearms, both palms (gloves obliterated), all fingertips except one, *rse (big chunk), patches on the outsides of both thighs, most of the skin off outside of left calf, new Time shoes trashed, glasses slightly grazed, helmet escaped with not a scratch.

Holy sh*t that sounds horrendous! :shock:
  • Roastie
    Holy sh*t that sounds horrendous! :shock:
    It was quite. A mate of mine had to bascially nurse me for a week until the wounds stopped weeping, changing dressings and stuff. It was another week until I was able to more around by myself with anything approaching normality.

In that time we made a painful trip to the bike shop and I bought all the bits required to fix the bike, and got it ready to roll.

Then, first ride out stacked it again over an unseen fallen branch. :roll:

But worst of all, it was a week before the start of Uni, so I missed the Orientation Week and spent my first few days still wrapped in dressings. Chicks dig scars, but just pity the walking wounded.
  • Cafewanda
    Alright Roastie. You now have oodles of sympathy from me :)
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Alright Roastie. You now have oodles of sympathy from me :)

Come on, he's a big guy he can take it - poor ickle handy wandy ;D
  • Cafewanda
    MM, :P :P

I'm in a good mood today as it's the Office Ball tonight. Please note 'ball' NOT party. We does things proper, we does 8).

..... and as is usual on these occasions everyone wants everything done before we slope off early to get ready :x :roll:
  • FeynmanC
    Cafewanda wrote:
    MM, :P :P

I'm in a good mood today as it's the Office Ball tonight

Have you got a nice new frock to wear?

Oh, wait...Frocks are for Parties - GOWNS are for balls!

Make sure you leave before midnight in case you turn into a pumpkin, or sommink like that
    us0.png
  • Cafewanda
    This old burd has been forced into what's called a 'cocktail' dress :roll: Dunno what was wrong with my old trousers and a cardy :) Already in pumpkin mode :lol:
  • FeynmanC
    A "cocktail" dress eh? Got some FMS's to go with that, or are you a LBD and DM's chick, like my good lady wife?
    us0.png
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    This old burd has been forced into what's called a 'cocktail' dress :roll: Dunno what was wrong with my old trousers and a cardy :) Already in pumpkin mode :lol:

Is it a normal "dress" size and therefore floor length gown for you ? :D
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Thank god you didn't scratch your helmet. :oops:
    Now that would have been a nasty accident. :shock: