How to run a bike shop......

always_tyred
always_tyred Posts: 4,965
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Just moved offices. Two visits to the new lunchtime bike shop -

Visit 1 - to purchase a couple of gear cables - cable ends thrown in, together with a SRAM chain link, because you didn't have a pack in stock and I was worried about getting home.

Visit 2 - to get a replacement bolt that fell off ( :oops: :oops: ) also thrown in gratis.

Result? I I "brought forward" a small purchase, and I WILL be back.

So, thanks to Alpine Bikes for showing us how it should be done.

(Contrast that to a big shiny bike shop of some repute in Edinburgh who absolutely refuse to give any advice in regard to the part I bought from you at the weekend. Sorry chaps, but "bring it in and we'll fix it for you" isn't too helpful. Its okay though, I fixed it myself but the reason for the problem is a secret you'll have to figure out yourselves. The only reason I go to you now because there is ample parking on a Saturday.)

Comments

• Oooh, what did you get?

Alpine bikes seemed pretty good when I was trundling round looking for a tyre to replace one which had exploded. They actually had something within the realms of possibility for a commute roadie.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Just moved offices. Two visits to the new lunchtime bike shop -

Visit 1 - to purchase a couple of gear cables - cable ends thrown in, together with a SRAM chain link, because you didn't have a pack in stock and I was worried about getting home.

Visit 2 - to get a replacement bolt that fell off ( :oops: :oops: ) also thrown in gratis.

Result? I I "brought forward" a small purchase, and I WILL be back.

So, thanks to Alpine Bikes for showing us how it should be done.

(Contrast that to a big shiny bike shop of some repute in Edinburgh who absolutely refuse to give any advice in regard to the part I bought from you at the weekend. Sorry chaps, but "bring it in and we'll fix it for you" isn't too helpful. Its okay though, I fixed it myself but the reason for the problem is a secret you'll have to figure out yourselves. The only reason I go to you now because there is ample parking on a Saturday.)

I have to say that Alpine bikes swapped me a disc brake adapter and a star fangled nut for a packet of chocolate hobnobs..... top guys.

also the coop....hmmm mixed feelings...nearest bike shop to my house...so handy for i need this today stuff, but as you say can be very unhelpful at times....

that said, they did let me use their workshop once....i fitted a new fork to my bike, but left the steerer slightly too long. didn't realise until my way home, so popped in and they said...we are too busy to help you, but if you are comfortable doing it yourself, help yourself....heres the steerer cutting guide and a hacksaw....allington keys for removing stem....workbench.

much obliged thanks!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • See, it makes a difference when bike shop folk are nice. Seems rarer and rarer though.