NSD Powerball!

JayKingFunk
JayKingFunk Posts: 411
edited January 2010 in MTB general
...is amazing!!

I recently got one from my girlfriend for my birthday and its excellent.

Its basically an exercise device that you rotate in your hand. It works with a gyro and is super effective and very addictive. Really strengthens your hands, wrists, arms and forearms.

The better you get the more resistance there is and it has an LCD that measures your highest RPM etc.

I've only been using it for a few days and I've noticed a massive difference, great for reducing 'arm pump' on long bumpy rides!!!

Have a look:

http://www.powerballs.com/

J!
I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!

Comments

• ive got one too. great fun . got it up to 12k but my forearm was bursting
  • ive got the neon version - great in the dark!! but the strings are both past their best by date.... found that 'scoobies' the plastic bracelet bands kids swap with each other make a good replacement . :)
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Good fun! Got mine up to 12600 but can only hold it there for 2 seconds tops. It gets pretty intense when it spins fast.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they have displays now do they?

mine did not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Theres a technique for starting it without the string on youtube but I can't quite get it yet!

You can buy them with and without screens now!!
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Got one after a bad wrist sprain last year left my wrist a lot weaker. Really helped build it up again.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm still waiting for someone to lower the tone, doesn't normally take this long.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    myopic wrote:
    Got one after a bad wrist sprain last year left my wrist a lot weaker. Really helped build it up again.

I've got a different exercise you can try, although some reports say it can lead to blindness. I've found no such problems though ... :D
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    bails87 wrote:
    I'm still waiting for someone to lower the tone, doesn't normally take this long.....

done! bet they flood in now :lol:
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    :lol: didn't see that coming, but I should have
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • They get boring after a while, lost the string to mine, can still start it without but I cba.
  • I bought a Powerball (with LCD screen) after mangling my wrist / forearm in a BMX crash and finding it took many weeks to heal, and still felt very weak

the Powerball was excellent at strengthening my injury and getting it back to normal

must admit, I don't use it now, but its there if anther injury occurs....
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • what i really want - just for sheer looks is the stainless steel version - looks like a work of art.......
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • i have the nsd white addition, so addictive, but annoyed cause i cant quite reach 12k, managed 11986, so 14 off. argh!
  • i have the nsd white addition, so addictive, but annoyed cause i cant quite reach 12k, managed 11986, so 14 off. argh!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I used one very sparingly for a week and by the end of the week my wrists were so screwed I couldn't ride for a few days, not used it since. Only used it a couple of times a day for a couple of minutes, seemed like tendinitis was developing.
  • I can play with mine just by rubbing it across the lino in my kitchen...burt as for the powerball, i found the scooby doos work well - the red strings are too short for me. Ha ha ha
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    They get boring after a while, lost the string to mine, can still start it without but I cba.

Its just the idea of exercise you hate!
  • mcflyss
    mcflyss Posts: 257
    Got mine today, gr8!!!! love it
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    what to get for my non cycling older brother for his birthday. powerball is great exercise for stirring a stir fry :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i have had one for about a year.

lost the string, but it is quite easy to start without once you get the knack...

the lcd screen stopped working about 6 months ago, so i have no idea how many rpms i get!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    If you don't have one, I'm sure there are ways you can ahem 'improvise'...... :lol:
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    Had mine since christmas can only manage a poor 10589. Which is your strongest hand or can you equal your highest score with both arms?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Just one look at the video of the world record holder made me realise this device is not for me. Was amusing in the office for about 3 days though.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • 11920 rpm is my highest so far!