faulty P7 from DX :(

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited December 2009 in MTB general
So... it's a torch. Having charged the batteries until the charger lights green... and pressed the single button on the end... I get zero lumens. Which makes it very uneconomical per pound spent!
I am emailing DX but they want a SKU number and pictures, and I have neither yet. One is easily solvable, no idea where I'd get the SKU number as it doesn't appear on my sales email from them.

Everything purchased from the following recomendation:
http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bike_lights_review_led.html

Any thoughts anyone?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are both ends tightened ?
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    They'll send you a returns number to send it back.

In the meantime...take it to pieces. It is usually a silly part of the build process that lets them down. If you can find that silly thing...you're sorted.

They pretty much disassemble quite easily.

Don't trash it though - They'll want it back in a reasonable state. They also tend to ask you to check their forum for ideas before you send it back...so consider this "Checking the forum" :)
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

This is a link to a bike light. Find your light on their site. The SKU is at the end.

It is basically the "product number"
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    SKU for the torch on the link you posted is 12325 :wink:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • A process of elimation I'm afraid starting with a dumb question - are you sure the battery is in right way round? I ask cause one of my torches came with the instruction sticker the wrong way round.

Also - are you sure the battery isnt a duffer(probably unlikely if the charger turns green)? Can you check the voltage somehow?

IME tho the most likely fixable problem is the tail cap. You can check this by putting the battery in the right way (+ nearest the led) dont put the tail cap on and shorting the bare metal end of the battery and a bare part of the torch metalwork. eg use a scissors to touch the - end of the battery and simulateanously the threads on the body with moderate pressure to make sure of good connections. Dont worry - this is what the tail switch does : it connects - to the torch body. If you dont see any light and the battery is ok I'd recommend sending it back as removing the LED / pug and resoldering requires an element of skill brute force and at least an adverterous spirit :)

If the above does get results then the tail switch is fixable with easy diy.

Let us know!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    the oolarity stickers were the wrong way around =D what a torch!! Pictures of these supportong my minewts in the what lights thread soon.
    Thanks for your help guys