Tektro Auriga Comp Disc Brakes... Help

JaySmitt
JaySmitt Posts: 34
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I'm trying to fit some Tektro Auriga Comp Disc Brakes that came with the bike the back rake is already fitted but I can't get the front one onto the disc because the silver piston has a very small gap. Does anyone know how I can release the pressure so the gap is wider?
GT Aggressor XC 3 <-- Nicked : (
Carrera Kraken

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Just prise them apart gently using a tyre lever or flat screwdriver
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    push it back with a clean flat head screwdriver... i think
  • Photo2.jpg

The piston sticking out will not budge.
    Carrera Kraken
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Push harder. Real hard. Cover the screwdriver in a cloth so you don't damage the piston.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    If you are completely sure it won't move,it may be that there is a little too much brake fluid inside it. Unscrew the resevouir(spelling?) cap a little and let a drop or two of the brake fluid out. Then push back the pistons.
  • I did manage to push the piston using a flathead with cloth but the opposite piston then stuck out. Rather than take a risk I'm just going to take it too Halfords tomorrow, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Carrera Kraken
  • supersonic
    Ah, if that happens you need to jam the other piston down.
  • Cheers for trying to help me but I'm gonna leave it to someone who knows what they're doing. I'll just make sure I peek over there shoulder so I can see what he does.
    Carrera Kraken
  • supersonic
    What if the Halfords mechanic is better than the one from his LBS?!

He is better taking it back to where he bought it.
  • If they damage it I'll get my money back for sure or at least an replacement.
    Carrera Kraken
  • Disc brakes are sorted now, went for a ride on my new GT Aggressor XC3 really nice bike gotta be a bargain for only £300.
    Carrera Kraken
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    It just sounded like too much fluid in the system, if you just bought the bike take it back and let them sort it out. If not open the top up screw then open the pistons, them bleed if you need to. Nothing difficult anyone who with hydro brakes should know how to do this as it isn't that hard and will say a lot of cash over the life of the bike, which you can spend on bike bling :D
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    These Tektros do have a bit of a design "feature", because the master cylinders are the same on both sides, the reservoir lid is on the back instead of the top. Now, you're supposed to bleed them using a wee hole in the top and their kit, but if you do, the bellows in the reservoir stays expanded- so the reservoir itself ends up small, and eventually, the bellows will be fully expanded. Then, if you push too much fluid in, you have a little air spring in the reservoir. So, though it's not how Tektro would recommend it, I reckon it's best to bleed by taking the lid off. Which is a total faff but works better. Just watch you don't damage the tiny bolts!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Northwind wrote:
    These Tektros do have a bit of a design "feature", because the master cylinders are the same on both sides, the reservoir lid is on the back instead of the top. Now, you're supposed to bleed them using a wee hole in the top and their kit, but if you do, the bellows in the reservoir stays expanded- so the reservoir itself ends up small, and eventually, the bellows will be fully expanded. Then, if you push too much fluid in, you have a little air spring in the reservoir. So, though it's not how Tektro would recommend it, I reckon it's best to bleed by taking the lid off. Which is a total faff but works better. Just watch you don't damage the tiny bolts!

You rekon? I found with mine, that after bleeding the convention way through the hole on the top both down then up, putting the screw back in the top and pushing more fluid in work fine for getting the levers back to a mininmal pull.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Yup... It'll make them work- they bleed perfectly- but that's not all there is to it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Trail-blazer
    Trail-blazer Posts: 129
    edited July 2010
    Northwind wrote:

I used this method succesfully tonight as I didn't have the proper tektro service kit and it worked for me. :)
    I had my sig deleted and all I got was this snide replacement. Not happy. :(
  • Northwind
    I got some from the hub at glentress, they were 25p each, they were quite surprised to find out they were tektro dealers mind as it went through another distributer. It goes through Upgrade who do Lezyne, etc. I might possibly still have the part number somewhere though tbh I might not, I'd need to check.
    Uncompromising extremist