Any south Londoners know where this is?

number9
number9 Posts: 440
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
n an age of Big Brother, the nanny state and elf 'n' safety, this cycle path in South London is a very definite sign of the times.

Most cyclists venturing on to the thoroughfare in Elephant and Castle would have been left in little doubt as to who was allowed to go where.

Vigilant workmen used gallons of paint to mark out hundreds of bicycles and 'SLOW' notices along the route on the New Kent Road. A bicycle appears roughly every 7 - 10 feet.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0ZBfqgRJI

Why are the signs facing the cyclist if he's going the wrong way?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-way.html

Comments

• Ah, another Daily Mail article on cycling..

Its interesting the recent activity brought about (rightly) by the Daily Mail article by James Martin. I hear from some who works in the industry that the Daily Mail are over the moon with the traffic generated on their site. You see, online papers generate income by online advertising. Show a high number of hits (who cares if its actually outraged cyclists) and suddenly you're more attractive to online retailers.

Hence the reason, if you remember, rather than become contrite about the article, they have followed it up with more and more anti cycling articles (similar to the one above :? ).

In a twisted way, we are actually the ones creating the 'demand'. :roll: :evil:

So out of principal, I won't be lining the Daily Mail's pockets any more by clicking on links to article in them. :twisted:
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    He has presumabloy just overtaken a numpty pedestrian with a camera who was walking in the lane that he was cycling in before he overtook the pedestrian.

Thus demonstrating that he is a courteous and pedestrian friendly cyclist who clearly has not got annoyed with the fact that his progress has been impeded by a non cyclist in the cycle lane!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    number9 wrote:
    n an age of Big Brother, the nanny state and elf 'n' safety, this cycle path in South London is a very definite sign of the times.

Most cyclists venturing on to the thoroughfare in Elephant and Castle would have been left in little doubt as to who was allowed to go where.

Vigilant workmen used gallons of paint to mark out hundreds of bicycles and 'SLOW' notices along the route on the New Kent Road. A bicycle appears roughly every 7 - 10 feet.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0ZBfqgRJI

Why are the signs facing the cyclist if he's going the wrong way?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-way.html

The signs are not facing the cyclist..... Pedestrians on the left of the bollards, cyclists on the right. The guy in the picture is on the wrong side.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    It's on the New Kent road

just a rough guess
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • nyanza
    nyanza Posts: 68
    Good grief, that is the most lame and tenuous swipe at cyclists you ever possibly imagine. Besides, it looks like the bloke in the picture has swerved around one of the many drain covers that litter cycle lanes.

I'll send them a picture of car overtaking a cyclist by moving onto the other side of the road.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Lame.

And it's a pretty odd looking bike (the painted one). Upturned handlebars? Back-to-front pedals? Oval wheels? And the hubs are off-centre. Look at the length of that top tube! No wonder the guy is having trouble understanding it.
  • Is it a swipe against cyclists? I rather read it as a swipe against the volume of paint used to mark and label the lane (and thereby against the Council, the "elf & safety regs", and by extension NuLabour, illegal immigrants and rising/falling house prices, etc ad nauseam).

The cyclist appears to be featured to underline the pointlessness of the paint markings.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I get the feeling that the photographer was standing in the left lane, so the cyclist had just overtaken him. Perhaps he would have got better paid for a "Killer cyclist mows down innocent photographer" story, but you have to get a bit of anti-cycling in to every story.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I think that's the Westbound side of the New Kent Road. They've just resurfaced the road there and its beautiful and smooth. There's bus lane too so you get a good clear run all the way from Bricklayers to E+C.

Why the hell would anyone want to use that abomination?

PS the path I mean, not the bike.

PPS although the bike doesn't look up to much either :wink:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I get the feeling that the photographer was standing in the left lane, so the cyclist had just overtaken him. Perhaps he would have got better paid for a "Killer cyclist mows down innocent photographer" story, but you have to get a bit of anti-cycling in to every story.

I agree with gregg66 I do not think it is anti cyclist, just highlighting the ridiculous amount of signs painted and fixed.

Even if cyclist was going round the photographer, he has had plenty of time to get back on his own side. As to the drain cover - hell if that was on Maryhill Road, I would feel it was positively luxurious, and not be avoiding it at all.

My opinion is that he is trying to keep away from those yellow an black bollards, they look evil!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    The path is ok for folk who want to trundle along at close to walking pace. There are lots of obstacles which make it dangerous for anyone going at a reasonable pace especially if you need to take evasive action for any reason. These include:

1. Narrow
    2. Lined with bollards
    3. Raised kerb to the left hand side
    4. Loads of driveways/ side roads going across
    5. See that bin in the distance?
    6. Uneven surface

In any case its not even all that long if I remember rightly. No more than 500m max. Its just another poorly thought out cycling facility so that the miserable sods who pay 'road tax' can say ' we spend all this money on paths and cyclists don't even use them'. :roll:
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    It's on the left hand side of the New Kent Road heading West from the Bricklayers Arms roundabout to the Elephant & Castle.

As Kurako says tho they have just resurfaced the road and it's gone from being the worst surface on my 18 mile commute to the best so i stick to the bus lane.
    FCN = 4