Accident involving cyclist in Birmingham

Breathless Commuter Man
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I rode past an accident this morning. The police were already there. It didn't look like a cyclist had been hurt (a bike was pulled over to the side of the road, but seemed to be in perfect condition). Someone has just said that there is the cyclist is under a bus. Anybody know anything. I recognise the bike dark hardtail mountain bike with two black paniers, I think that he is a guy in his lates forties early fifties? Anybody "brummie" commuters know anything?
FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro

Comments

• Should have said its in the city centre where the A34 meets the A38.
    FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    There was an unusually high volume of traffic this morning, I'm guessing this is why. Didn;t see anything myself, I don't go that way.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Hope the guy is ok. At least they managed to get him stabilised enought to get to hospital so fingers crossed. My sister in law died after getting trapped under the wheels of a bus so this has brought back some nasty memories :(
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • The island is still closed. I really don't like that island the traffic just goes far too fast. My thoughts go out to him and his family. I'm certainly going to be taking the ride home extremely carefully tonight! This is the first time I've heard of someone getting hurt on my commute, it's shook me up despite not seeing it.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Shook me up a bit when I heard about it, a girl at work went past the site on the bus and saw a white sheet covered in blood.

Brings it home a bit, until now in my head people only get knocked down in London.

Hope the chap is ok.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    Hope he's okay - as there are so few of us cycling into the centre of Brum at any one time we can't afford to lose too many...
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    It's on the cover of the Birmingham Mail now, haven't read it, someone at work told me.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I've just looked at the Birmimgham Mail web site. Looks like he didn't make it - very sad news indeed. :cry:

Here's the link:

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top- ... -25356204/
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • prawny
    RIP :(
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Dreadfull news.

RIP & Condolencies to all concerned.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Commiserations from me. :(
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Awful news; condolences to his family.
    FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    very very sad news :cry:

RIP
  • Very sad news, had my mom on the phone panicking when she heard a cyclist had been hit. Condolences to the mans family and lets all keep our open a little wider..
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Condolences to his family.

Looks like the bus hit him from behind, then ran him over.

Note to self: stay away from buses: at all times, wait behind a bus or if a bus is approaching, let bus overtake.

Unfortunately my rule is a template; I may substitute BUS with ANY VEHICLE.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    RIP

Stay safe everyone
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • RIP - very sad :(
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    RIP

Very dangerous island. i have to tackle it about once a week going to see family. The cars and buses go really fast, especially coming from the motorway / dual carriage way. you really need to pelt it round, and give out some real speed to be safe round there, glad i dont commute that way everyday
  • prawny
    I used it once the first time I ever rode into town, it scared the crap out of me. I've not been that way since. Cars come tearing down the fly-over about 50mph. A bloke at work comes in by bus round that roundabout and he said his bus has hit a cyclist before there.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • andy83
    it really is a dangerous route

as mad as it sounds i actually feel safer going through town, past selfridges, and follow the road straight to the dual carriage way, and end up at the matalan island, then continue forward onto road leading to perry barr

when coming from perry barr way back into town i tend to wait til some traffic goes from where i am and then at least cars / buses tearing up from the fly over dont carry on if there is cars. not the safest of ways but best for this area, if your a bike on your own likely to get hit.

There is a massive problem in birmingham of insufficient cycle lanes. best route i take is when i go to walsall, only cos vast majority of jouney is cycle lanes
  • prawny
    I come through kingstanding into perry barr and then turn off the a34 before I get to that island and go through the back streets into the city centre, much less traffic. I never go the other side of town though I'm quite lucky. The traffic isn't too bad and although there's no cycle lanes the driving is acceptable.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • andy83
    as i say i only travel that way visiting family, luckily im over the other side of birmingham and commute through the country lanes

i work shifts so its annoying i hardly get anyone to race so when i do get chance i hate to lose.

sometimes if im off work ill cycle into town to try some SCR, am i weird? i work 3 long days a week and one usually at weekend so i get 3 off in week

the other day i was riding steady and took a corner wide cos was slippy and no cars near me, then a cheeky cyclist tried to cut up the inside of me, when i saw him i just pedalled hard and sure enough left him in my dust :D
  • Rest in Peace.

My thoughts are with his family and friends. Terrible news.