It's good to be back!

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
After a tentative try on the spin machines at the gym yesterday to see how my body would react to cycling again, I decided to ride in for the 1st time this morning, since the accident.

I was going to avoid Old Kent Road and try to limp to work along side roads, then I though why the f**k should I? You have to confront your demons, so I did OKR and crossed the junction where I was mercilessly mown down just 2 weeks ago.

I can still feel the bruising in my hip joint and it's hard to stand on the left pedal and mash it up hills out of the saddle, but actually I feel less pain and aching than I have done over the past couple of weeks just walking from the bus stop to the office. I suppose the non-impact nature of cycling helps a bit, whereas walking puts more pressure on the hip joint. Next stop, back to running as well, but I think that could be some time off...

Anyway, I have to say, it's fantastic to be back in the saddle.
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Yay, good for you!!!!
  • Welcome back!
  • Good to hear!
    Seems like a quick return.
  • Headhuunter
    King Donut wrote:
    Good to hear!

Yes, I'm healing quite quickly. Got physio tomorrow. There's definitely still damage and bruising to my left hip joint though and I think I tore a muscle(s) and/or ligament(s) as certain weight bearing activity is almost impossible still. For example putting all my weight on my left hip joint/muscles when putting on a pair of trousers (pulling them up the right leg, lifting the right foot off the ground) is very, very painful and I either have to sit down to do it or lean heavily on something. I suppose this is a similar mechanism to standing on the pedals, out of the saddle which is also quite difficult. I also tried to do "the plank" at the gym yesterday (a core muscle exercise, if anyone's familiar with it) which was quite difficult, so I think I've damaged something in the core of the hip joint itself...
  • King Donut wrote:
    Good to hear!

Yes, I'm healing quite quickly. Got physio tomorrow. There's definitely still damage and bruising to my left hip joint though and I think I tore a muscle(s) and/or ligament(s) as certain weight bearing activity is almost impossible still. For example putting all my weight on my left hip joint/muscles when putting on a pair of trousers (pulling them up the right leg, lifting the right foot off the ground) is very, very painful and I either have to sit down to do it or lean heavily on something. I suppose this is a similar mechanism to standing on the pedals, out of the saddle which is also quite difficult. I also tried to do "the plank" at the gym yesterday (a core muscle exercise, if anyone's familiar with it) which was quite difficult, so I think I've damaged something in the core of the hip joint itself...

Well good on you for getting straight back out there. Listen to the Physio obviously as they'll know your limits.

A friend is just coming back after another cyclist took him out on Bishopsgate and I know he's apprehensive. Must be hard to go past the location every day so well done!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Don't overdo it, no SCR!
  • Good for you!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Nice one Headhunter!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Rock on dude!
  • well done mate :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good skills. Take it easy. Until someone overtakes you... :)

It hurts at the best of times when I do The Plank (about twice a year), so I wouldn't worry about it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    cjcp wrote:
    Good skills. Take it easy. Until someone overtakes you... :)

It hurts at the best of times when I do The Plank (about twice a year), so I wouldn't worry about it.

That's the thing. I just can't take people passing me. No matter how much it hurts, I just can't let it happen! :)

Bit disappointed about my inability to do the plank. I used to be able to hold it for ages and used to do it resting on one leg then the other, but now it's just too painful. I suppose it'll get easier eventually though
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The plank is a killer, but as I have always thought, becuase it hurts, it must be doing good. Was a time I could barely hold it for 30s, a few weeks ago I was up to about 2mins, but did hurt, sadly I will now have slipped back, but "look forward" to the pain it will give me in new year when I start back.

So good on you getting back in there, and getting on a commute. Will still be a few weeks for me.

Good tip about doing it one leg, and will bear this in mind when I try it....

Good on you SCRing too, but as the rest have said, take it easy, the speed will come back soon enough. Consider the time as your winter break and then unleash the awesome in the spring!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Headhuunter
    The plank is a killer, but as I have always thought, becuase it hurts, it must be doing good. Was a time I could barely hold it for 30s, a few weeks ago I was up to about 2mins, but did hurt, sadly I will now have slipped back, but "look forward" to the pain it will give me in new year when I start back.

So good on you getting back in there, and getting on a commute. Will still be a few weeks for me.

Good tip about doing it one leg, and will bear this in mind when I try it....

Good on you SCRing too, but as the rest have said, take it easy, the speed will come back soon enough. Consider the time as your winter break and then unleash the awesome in the spring!!

Doing it on 1 leg, ie 1 foot raised, makes it harder and therefore strengthens your core even more. I also used to raise 1 leg and then bring it round to my side (bending the knee), then back round and the same with the other, but for the moment I can't do that so I think I must've torn a muscle or ligament or something because the difference in ability is dramatic since the accident.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Welcome back!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game