• 4899-17800-full-eos-34.jpg

What do you all think?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    CAAD9
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Think it's going to have to be either the Trek 1.5 or Giant Defy2 simply because I can't get 2009 models on sale price with the cycle 2 work scheme.

Anybody got one?

Also, if you had the choice - compact or triple? Pros & Cons?

www.royles.biz

CAAD9 on Cycle to work...

Give them a ring, ask for Dan. Tell him Alex recommended them...

CAAD9 out of my price range on that website. Got to stick with a budget of £850 for the cycle 2 work scheme.

By the way, general question for any bike I'll get, compact or triple? Also as a beginner, what would be better suited to me?

Did you ring up and speak to Dan?

They'll be able to sort something, website is just a guide...
  • Nah, opted for another local bike shop. I get an employee discount before the scheme is applied, so the value I get is pretty good. So I opted not to follow it up.

Any info on the Ridley?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited December 2009
    i can honestly say i look in a few bike shops regularly purely because i like seeing different bikes and what stuff is about. most of it very good when getting towards the £1000 end and above. going to a bike shop only seems to guarantee one thing, you will pay a hefty price. shop about and keep an open mind. its worth looking at the boardman range for a few comparisons if you havent already. if you have and dont like them thats fine but value seems to scream out at me. the boardman team is £799 in your range. the colour schemes are understated which could put you off. then go and buy a planet x which looks very good value or caad 9 .
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    CAAD9
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doesn't seem to be much information out there for both the Ridley and the Wilier. Are they reliable, durable bikes that perform well?

Ridley Eos - £850
    Wilier Escape Xenon - £799

Are they recommended for sportives, general training and commuting?

Also still considering the Giant Defy 2 at £825
  • on the double/triple debate, I was a 6 month MTB enthusiast before getting my first Roadie, and so far never found a hill worthy of a triple.

Go double, work a bit harder.

(ofc Im as amature as it gets. People with more experience might have a different view )
    exercise.png
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Think it's going to have to be either the Trek 1.5 or Giant Defy2 simply because I can't get 2009 models on sale price with the cycle 2 work scheme.

Anybody got one?

Yes you can. I queried this with cyclescheme. They have no rules about not being able to buy at discount prices. The shop know you have a £1000 to spend - so hike the price back up. Cyclescheme charge the shop 10% of the voucher price - so just offer them an 10%
    Have the email from cyclescheme if you want to PM me.

FWIW - don't think any the bikes are bad buys - I would go for the wilier - but you are doing the right thing by trying as many as you can.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Wilier (somebody has to shout over the CAADs)! :lol:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
  • Anonymous
    matthew h wrote:

CAAD9
  • prod_21208.jpg
    +1
  • Ignore that, CAAD9..
  • Went to try a CAAD9 due to the number of supporters it has - just didn't feel comfortable for me.

However the Ridley Eos was, but does anyone rate this bike? Don't want to buy something that is up to the job, want to make sure it's a wise investment. Can get the Ridley knocked down to £765...
  • Anonymous
    Went to try a CAAD9 due to the number of supporters it has - just didn't feel comfortable for me.

However the Ridley Eos was, but does anyone rate this bike? Don't want to buy something that is up to the job, want to make sure it's a wise investment. Can get the Ridley knocked down to £765...

Try yoga until you get comfortable enough for a CAAD9

Alternatively try the more relaxed CAAD8...
  • road_runner12 find a Cube stockist and give it a go you will not regret it.
  • Thank you all for your comments so far. Still very keen on the Ridley. Anyone know where I can find a full and detailed spec on the Eos - the website and catalogue only seem to give the basics.

Also, anyone out there got any experience of riding Ridleys?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    kingrollo wrote:

Anybody got one?

Yes you can. I queried this with cyclescheme. They have no rules about not being able to buy at discount prices. The shop know you have a £1000 to spend - so hike the price back up. Cyclescheme charge the shop 10% of the voucher price - so just offer them an 10%
    Have the email from cyclescheme if you want to PM me.

FWIW - don't think any the bikes are bad buys - I would go for the wilier - but you are doing the right thing by trying as many as you can.

It's not against Cyclesheme and the others rules to have a discounted bike but those schemes are the reason you can't get a discount. They basically skim off 10% for doing nothing so the shop can't afford a discount. If more employers knew they can buy direct (or weren't too lazy) bikes through C2W would be even cheaper for their employees.
  • Right, here's an update. Decided that I'm going to stick with my LBS that stock Giant, Wilier and Ridley.

Have narrowed it down to:

Wilier Escape Xenon - £720
    Ridley Eos - £765
    Giant Defy 2 - £743

Thing is, looking at specifications I'm not knowledgable enough to know what justifies the extra expense between bikes. I'm aware of the gearsets such as the Tiagra, as I wasn't comfortable with the Sora, but don't know much about the Campag Xenon.

With other components, I couldn't tell you which justify the price difference - please help!
  • m8 tbh with what you have on the table, go with which one you like the look of nothing between the models; btw good prices quoted.

I would go for the Wilier first, then the Ridley if that failed the ride test and finally the Giant if I were in your shoes.
  • Thanks for that. What are the Xenon shifters and gearsets like?