Which pump

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
After 2000 miles on bike recieved first visit from the p@£$%^e fairy and changed innertube ok enough only to find my pump isnt the best, well actually broke at the bit that attaches to the valve

so looking to get new compact pump, is it worth getting a co2 pump or will manual do fine, any recomendations?

also when replacing the innertube i checked the tyre for anything protruding but couldnt find anything. found hole on inner tube and its a little slit. could this possible be just conincidence or am i going to ride to work and get a flat by summin in my tyre piercing the tube??.

Have pumped up new innertube in wheel to 100 psi (what i usually have my tyres at) and has stayed inflated. surely if there was something sticking out the tyre it would have gone down now

thanks

Comments

• Maybe. Best to check the outside of tyre. I use a sharp kitchen knife - find a cut, and poke the knife in it. If there's a stone or glass in there the noise is quite distinctive, and you can lever the s0d out.

However, I am the man who defrosted a freezer with a carving knife. And punctured something pressurised, which led to the purchase of a new freezer.

So be careful. Like what I is.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • andy83
    i did check the outside of the tyre and couldnt find anything, im hoping it was something that went through, pierced innertube and fell out

it seemed to deflate VERY quick

i have done nearly 2000 miles on current tyres and they standard bontrager ones, ,maybe time to change
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Well,

For Presta (road) I have a Blackburn AirStick Carbon - well nice works a treat 100 PSI no problems..... (Will do schrader but a bit fiddly to adjust).

Everyday (commuting) I use a Decathlon Clever 900 - pressure gauge and does road and MTB but needs 'screwing on for presta'.

The decathlon is a bit heavy, but as a back/bottom of rucksack item, it's excellent - doubles as a mini track pump too.....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Topeak Pocket Rocket
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    andy83 wrote:
    i have done nearly 2000 miles on current tyres and they standard bontrager ones, ,maybe time to change

They do get thinner and more prone to punctures as they wear.

2000 miles? I do 20 in London on a new set and I've got at least one big cut in them.
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    Blackburn mammoth 2 stage for me.

Done a couple of punctures with it and gets the tyre up quicker than any other I've had before, on mtb or roady.

Bit chunky but they do a smaller one, take a few bit more work to fully inflate II'd expect
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Get a frame pump.

The only reason not to use a frame pump is if you have some unfeasibly light racing snake of a bike whose lines would be ruined by something appearing below the top tube.

If your bike looks good enough that a frame pump will have a serious impact, you'll be a bit silly using it for commuting.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,378
    whyamihere wrote:
    Get a frame pump.

The only reason not to use a frame pump is if you have some unfeasibly light racing snake of a bike whose lines would be ruined by something appearing below the top tube.

If your bike looks good enough that a frame pump will have a serious impact, you'll be a bit silly using it for commuting.

Sorry to hijack, could you recommend one.

I was looking for a frame pump and had thought of this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Zefal_HPX_Classic_Frame_Fit_Pump/5360043670/

Though in the Q&A section of the product info the man from wiggle suggests it wouldn't fit under a top tube :?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • whyamihere
    I use a Park PMP 5 after it got recommended in C+. It's good.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I recommend a lezyne road pump, much lighter than a frame pump and gets to over 100psi quite easily. It`s a joy to use, you will actually look forward to getting a puncture.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • tailwindhome
    whyamihere wrote:
    I use a Park PMP 5 after it got recommended in C+. It's good.

Ta

Currently only £22 at CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=32227
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    I am the man who defrosted a freezer with a carving knife. And punctured something pressurised, which led to the purchase of a new freezer.

+1 :wink:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    whyamihere wrote:
    Get a frame pump...
    +1
    I was looking for a frame pump and had thought of this
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Zefal_HPX_Classic_Frame_Fit_Pump/5360043670/
    Though in the Q&A section of the product info the man from wiggle suggests it wouldn't fit under a top tube :?

They are designed to fit in front of the seat tube, it's a nice long tube (the longer the pump the better, as a general rule) and the angles at each end are acute, so they hold the pump in place. If you mount under the top tube then the angle between it and the head tube is obtuse, so the pump doesn't locate neatly.
    Some frames (eg my Winter Hack) have a peg brazed on to the rear of the head tube to overcome this, and the pumps have a corresponding little socket in the end which fits onto the peg. This lets the pump sit under the top tube and leaves the seat tube free for bottle-cages, D-Lock mounts etc.

I use the same Zefal (cheaper plastic version) on all three bikes- seat tube mounted on two and top-tube on the WH. They are very simple, reliable pumps and the narrow barrel/long stroke means they are effective on high-pressure tyres.

Cheers,
    W.
  • andy83
    Thanks for replies
    whyamihere wrote:
    Get a frame pump.

im not bothered in the slightest about weight so that might be a good option, then its always there, only problem i have is that it would have to go on the top tube as got bottle holders on the downtube and the bar in front of the seat tube

would the one on wiggle that had been recommended.
    I recommend a lezyne road pump, much lighter than a frame pump and gets to over 100psi quite easily. It`s a joy to use, you will actually look forward to getting a puncture.

I doubt that very much
  • wgwarburton
    andy83 wrote:
    ...only problem i have is that it would have to go on the top tube as got bottle holders on the downtube and the bar in front of the seat tube

Pardon?

If you don't have a peg on your head tube, I've read that a zip-tie makes a useable substitute- I presume you would wrap it round the head tube and position it so that the "head" of the tie acts as a peg and holds the pump in place. The other end will work fine without, because the top-tube to seat-tube angle is acute.
    Havn't tried this myself, though.

Cheers,
    W.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    whyamihere's park pump sits under his top tube fine, the ends are squishy. I nearly got one myself but I'm a cheapskate and got a specialized air too road instead. Which is both great and £13 8)

From the spec concept store at the fort.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Word of caution - make sure that whatever you choose is either removable, cheap and nasty, or left in a secure place.

I stupidly left a Topeak Road Morph on my bike on a Sheffield stand, and neadless to say it didn't stay on my bike! You get a warm feeling knowing it was a fellow commuter / cyclist that pinched it. May the P fairy show her full wrath on them!

I now have a cheap Zefal. It's too long / cumbersome to easily carry when off the bike, so I have just covered it in zip ties. If anyone wants it badly enough to go to the trouble of removing all the ties, they are welcome to it. I have a small pair of scissors and spare ties in my saddle wedge in case the P fairy visits! To date it's stayed on my bike untampered with for over 3 months.

Rufus.
  • prawny
    andy83 wrote:
    ...only problem i have is that it would have to go on the top tube as got bottle holders on the downtube and the bar in front of the seat tube

Pardon?

If you don't have a peg on your head tube, I've read that a zip-tie makes a useable substitute- I presume you would wrap it round the head tube and position it so that the "head" of the tie acts as a peg and holds the pump in place. The other end will work fine without, because the top-tube to seat-tube angle is acute. Havn't tried this myself, though.

Cheers,
    W.

Aren't all the angles acute? just to a lesser degree? or am I being daft? The zefal ones would be better against the seat tube though because the ends are plastic.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • wgwarburton
    prawny wrote:
    Aren't all the angles acute? just to a lesser degree? or am I being daft? ...
    Daft, I'm afraid....!

The angles from the seat-tube to the down-tube and top-tube are both acute (ie under ninety degrees) but the head-tube to top-tube & down-tube angles are both obtuse (over ninety degrees).
    I guess there could be (and so probably are!!) are wierd geometry frames with at least one acute head tube angle and a heavily sloped top-tube, but if the head tube & seat tube are to be close to parallel then one of them isn't going to be acute...

Cheers,
    W.
  • prawny
    443px-Bicycle_Frame_Diagram-en.svg.png

Eh? I think we may have our wires crossed buns, I mean putting the pump running underneath the top tube betwixt the head and seat tubes. They're both acute I'm sure of it, and I failed A-level mats.

Do you mean if we put the pump across the top?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • wgwarburton
    prawny wrote:

Eh? I think we may have our wires crossed buns, I mean putting the pump running underneath the top tube betwixt the head and seat tubes. They're both acute I'm sure of it, and I failed A-level mats.

The angle in your diagram between top-tube & head-tube is over 90 degrees, and hence obtuse, rather than acute. The pump will fall out of it, unless there's a peg.

I don't, though that is an option... however if we do that then the angle at the other end will be obtuse, instead :-).

If we assume a traditional 72 degrees parallel frame then the angle inside the frame between the top-tube and seat-tube will be 72 degrees and the inside angle between the top-tube and the head-tube will be 108 degrees (ie >90). The opposing angles (above the tube) will be their complements, so 108 beween seat post & top-tube and 72 between stem & top-tube.

I'm not sure I'm helping, here :-(

Cheers,
    W.
  • tailwindhome
    Now I'm not sure how the pump will sit along the top tube :?

Firstly the afore mentioned pump from Park Tools web site

spr_pmp_felf_20081121_64879.jpg

Cav's training machine

Picture_001alt.jpg

Each have two acute angles at either end of the top tube so the pump will fit in neatly

My bike (Cannondale R600) is more along the lines ot Prawny's diagram.

I'll wait and see how it goes
  • Get a cheap small one, it gets you out of a jam, then use the track pump you have at home. If this is the first time you've used it in 2000 miles then why bother with a fancy one? Did it braek at the valve because you didn't tighten it or were too vigorous? This has happened to me before (both)
  • prawny
    prawny wrote:

The angle in your diagram between top-tube & head-tube is over 90 degrees, and hence obtuse, rather than acute. The pump will fall out of it, unless there's a peg.

I don't, though that is an option... however if we do that then the angle at the other end will be obtuse, instead :-).

If we assume a traditional 72 degrees parallel frame then the angle inside the frame between the top-tube and seat-tube will be 72 degrees and the inside angle between the top-tube and the head-tube will be 108 degrees (ie >90). The opposing angles (above the tube) will be their complements, so 108 beween seat post & top-tube and 72 between stem & top-tube.

I'm not sure I'm helping, here :-(

Cheers,
    W.

Tis ok, I figured out what you meant riding home, I was assuming the down tube and top tube would meet (like on my bikes) but as your a fan of steelies they don't do they.

I get it now though :D
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • whyamihere
    Andy - The Park will fit under your top tube fine, it's where mine lives.

27012009319bx5.jpg

That's my Cannondale, pump not shown. Just tried to get a photo of the pump in-situ on my commuter, but the reflective tape on my top tube is so bright with the flash that nothing else around the top tube area is visible. :D
  • tailwindhome
    Park PMP5 pump, as recommended by WhyamIhere, arrived yesterday from Chain Reactions and it looks a quality bit of kit.

It fits into the frame quite securely and definitely doesn't fall out. It may be possible for someone as clumsy as me to knock it out when lifting out a drinking bottle, but you probably aren't as clumsy as me.

Just need a blue bike to match :lol: :roll: