Aluminuim frame storage...

Whytepeak
Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
edited December 2009 in MTB general
I've got an alu frame that I'm keeping for a build next spring, and want to keep it out of the way...

But is storing it in a damp garage, an environment not dissimilar to being outside, the right think to do? - I've little space to store it in the house, and was wondering if the frame would come to any harm hung up in there for a while...

Sorry for the repetative subject of my topics... :roll:

Thanks for your help...
Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1

Comments

• I'm no expert but I keep my Trek 6700 which is aluminum over winter in my Dad's garage, so far no problem and have been doing this for a few years now.
  • My Aluminum framed commute bike which I bought in Nov 2006 is left out in the garden in all weathers, apart from a simple tarpaulin over it. It hasn't corroded yet :lol:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I heard that aluminium bikes corrode from the inside so one day when you are riding your coat of paint it will collapse in a heap......
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • I heard that aluminium bikes corrode from the inside so one day when you are riding your coat of paint it will collapse in a heap......

Wow, I hope so, what better words of advice to upgrading to a carbon framed bike :D
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Whytepeak
    Thanks guys, so it should be fine, but it may disintegrate mid-ride. :?

Father Faff
    I heard they become weaker at the welds over time - all this folk lore, I don't know :roll: .
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Aluminium oxidises, it self seals in effect, as soon bare metal is revealed it oxidises and protects the metal underneath it. I think father faff is thinking of steel frames, which can rust from the inside because the inside isn't protected by paint.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Whytepeak
    bails87 wrote:
    Aluminium oxidises, it self seals in effect, as soon bare metal is revealed it oxidises and protects the metal underneath it. I think father faff is thinking of steel frames, which can rust from the inside because the inside isn't protected by paint.

But surely the product 'aluminium oxide' must be a result of a reaction between the oxygen in the air, and the bare aluminium. So it must still corrode the aluminium, and the welds will become weaker. But I know I'm just being picky now :roll: .

I'll probably just store it there anyhow, seems to be the genral consensus...
  • Father Faff
    I'm sure I have read that aluminium is the shortest lasting frame material..... I suppose the way to test this is to have an alu bike, a steel bike, a carbon bike, a titanium bike, a ..er....bamboo bike, and a...er...er....er....magnesium bike (very rare I think because magnesium dissolves on contact with water or hydrogen or something).

Good excuse to have a few bikes in the damp shed if it is all in aid of scientifc research.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Whytepeak
    Hmmm, I'm a bit sceptical of that.

There would be a many variables to control, but I don't see how that is a hypothesis that applies to mtb frames.
    Good excuse to have a few bikes in the damp shed if it is all in aid of scientifc research.

I'll do that :lol: .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Aluminium does indead form a protective oxide layer. This does not precipitate through the material as it can with some steels. The same goes for titanium too, the outer layer is not actual titanium, but very hard salt - these are in fact ceramics.

The environmnet can play a part ie salt water from roads can eat into the aluminium. But generally rain water poses no problems and that tough layer will suffice.

Nothing to worry about. Unless you live in the sea.
  • Meh, aluminium oxide is insoluble enough not to worry about.

As for magnesium, a) it's very soft so no one would make one without alloying it to aluminium. b) it doesn't react with water, the oxide coating is too stable to react with water before it is steam.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The mag frames that Merida and Saracen (probably the same people lol) made were proofed on the inside to prevent corrosion.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    A frame should be fine in a garage, I would be concernec if it were under salt water with a current running through it. It is the vibration and impacts that harden an ally frame that cause stress fractures.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Father Faff
    I'm sure I remember in a chemistry class at school the teached stickng a line of magnesium in some kind of gas, possibly it was pure oxygen, and the thing exploded with a blinding white light?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It burns brightly when you put it in a hot flame. So more likely it was over a bunsen burner.

There are metals that react like that with water, caesium is one I think, and sodium?

If it reacted like that with oxygen, then you'd never see the reaction, because it would have reacted already with the oxygen in the air.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I've got a GT Avalance 1.0 frame in my garage which is aluminium. (Unfinished Project) And I've had it in there a while. As long as you keep the frame off the ground it should be fine. I've got mine on a fold out single bike wall mount that does the trick. :)
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    supersonic wrote:
    Nothing to worry about. Unless you live in the sea.

:lol: If Kevin Costner ever takes up the sport he is screwed...

Good to know my frame isn't going to disintegrate on me :D
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Magnesium does react with water, producing hydrogen, but if it has paint it should be fine. Aluminium reacts with water too, but not so easily as magnesium. Just don't go getting a francium frame, stripping the paint off and riding it in the rain. You'd blow up half of England.
  • Magnesium does not react with water at room temperature in any exciting way, the hydroxide layer is too insoluble, you get a very small amount of hydrogen, but it's a very slow process fairly quickly stopped by the hydroxide, very freshly made finely divided magnesium will react with water as there is enough surface area without the hydroxide on it. It does react with steam however as the extra heat will overcome the initial activation barrier.

What is really nasty however is mercury on aluminium, the aluminium dissolves into the mercury, then precipitates on the mercury-air boundary as aluminium oxide, which easily falls off, so the mercury will eat through it.