Knocked off last night.... (Ely, Cambs)

fenboy369
fenboy369 Posts: 425
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Got taken out on the A10/A142 BP Garage round-about last night. :cry:
Came up to the round about, looked right, cars stopped and a stream of cars going down the road I've come from. Nice. Checked the next exit on, they are all stopped, good. My exit is clear too, wicked, we can go for it.
Next I know I'm on the floor with a lady holding my head, (she was a Neuro nurse from Addenbrookes and was brilliant).
According to Paramedics a van hit my back wheel at about 20mph and took me off. Where he came from I dont know, he could have been que jumping, but I just dont know.
Police have his details, but wont pass them on to me yet.
Ambulance crew cut my clothes/rucksack off (thankfully only top half!) and I spent the next 5 hours on a Spinal Board with a neck brace on. Wicked when you are busting for a pee :?
Bikes back wheel is tachoed and the rim is cracked, dont know about the frame yet.
Me, heavy bruising to left elbow, very sore shoulders, cuts/abraisions to left elbow/side. Basically feel like I've fallen down a very long flight of stairs. And very shaken.
Hmmm. Vans eh?
'11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
'11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
'09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
'07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8

Comments

• number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    Nasty. Could have been worse. GWS.
  • Ouch, sounds nasty. Hope you get well soon- not a nice time of year to be battered and bruised. :(
  • Eeep. Glad you're OK-ish. Presumably there were witnesses? Get on to the police before they lose their notes or something.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    My sympathy- don't bein too much of a rushto get back to work etc.

I did and am back on sick again
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Glad to hear you are okay! That sounds like a nasty one and would have scared me. I hope the plod can find WVM and any witnesses to find out what happened.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Tis the season it seems. Do you cycle up the A10?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Not so good mate. Hope you get quick recovery!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • V glad it wasn't worse - take it easy and eat restorative mince pies with mulled wine :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nasty...get well quickly.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    :shock: Get well soon.

I feel I am becoming privileged not to have been knocked off recently!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I know that spot – people drive like maniacs there, I even get overtaken when going at 60mph with the car (60mph limit)

Did you go up the A10? There are not that many alternative routes to get to Ely from Cambs
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Bad luck fella but good to hear you'll mend.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Yowser! Get better dude!

There really seems to have been a spate of this lately! :(
  • Ouch. Sorry to hear that Fenboy. Get well soon
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Christ. Heal up fast, mate.

If the paramedics knew that he hit you from behind at 20mph, it seems that you at least have witnesses who saw the incident even if you didn't.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ouch! Wishing you a speedy recovery! :?
  • Sounds nasty, fenboy. Get better soon and thank heavens for nurses!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ouch, get well soon
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Nasty.

A10's a lethal road, even in a car.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • slowfen
    slowfen Posts: 312
    GWS

Its a crap roundabout, normally I try and avoid it, too many people overtake the queues
    Hills? what are they
  • Are you now NurofenBoy369?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • ouch. Get well soon.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Fenboy - GWS - all the best. I was perhaps 10 minutes behind you in a car as I was coming back from Sutton.. Good to hear it wasn't any worse...
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • Cheers for all the GWS's. Been trying to contact the Police all day. Cant get hold of anyone. They are cr@p.
    Nurofenboy, lol! Ow, it hurts to chuckle...
    Dont normally go that way, but I got the train home instead of biking all the way. A10 is normally ok, its the roundabouts.
    Several people have FaceBooked me and said they saw me on the floor. Most people thought I was dead, seeing my back wheel and the ammount of people and lights.
    Anyway, bedtime now, I feel very tired....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Cheers for all the GWS's. Been trying to contact the Police all day. Cant get hold of anyone. They are cr@p.

What? :shock: Is it that no-one will pick up the 'phone? Can you get down there in person and say that if unless someone speaks to you asap to tell you what's going on, you want to speak to the Chief Constable otherwise you're reporting it to the Police Complaints Authority? Sorry, thinking out loud a bit.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Police side of the story has been this....
    I remember a PCSO was sent to the scene. She said "WTF am I suposed to do here on my own then? Bloody hell!" Paramedic told her I was still consious. "Oh" she said.
    When I had been scrapped into the ambulance a Police man came in and asked if he could speak to me. "Name" and "Address" was all he said before he got out.
    Called the local non emegency line Tuesday am. It took 15 mins to be answered. They had no info but sudjested to go to the local station. Which we done. Man at front desk had no idea about any details or where my bike was. He took me out the back to the cycle shed to have a look.
    When I told him thats my bike he said that a lot of the coppers would be upset it had been claimed as it looked really nice! What were they going to do with it? I suddenly realise why it hadnt been 'booked in'....
    Anyway, no details about van driver etc.... so I called again today, twice, and still no details available. They have said that they contacted my local plod to get the officer in charge to sort something out.
    What a crock of sh1t. And to think that I pay my council tax for that bunch of feckless retards.
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    Sewinman wrote:
    :shock: Get well soon.

I feel I am becoming privileged not to have been knocked off recently!

Yeah me too hope i'm not tempting fate!

Sound's quite nasty Fenboy,get well soon. :wink:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Police side of the story has been this....
    I remember a PCSO was sent to the scene. She said "WTF am I suposed to do here on my own then? Bloody hell!" Paramedic told her I was still consious. "Oh" she said.
    When I had been scrapped into the ambulance a Police man came in and asked if he could speak to me. "Name" and "Address" was all he said before he got out.
    Called the local non emegency line Tuesday am. It took 15 mins to be answered. They had no info but sudjested to go to the local station. Which we done. Man at front desk had no idea about any details or where my bike was. He took me out the back to the cycle shed to have a look.
    When I told him thats my bike he said that a lot of the coppers would be upset it had been claimed as it looked really nice! What were they going to do with it? I suddenly realise why it hadnt been 'booked in'....
    Anyway, no details about van driver etc.... so I called again today, twice, and still no details available. They have said that they contacted my local plod to get the officer in charge to sort something out.
    What a crock of sh1t. And to think that I pay my council tax for that bunch of feckless retards.

My sympathy. I'm just healing from my crash a couple of weeks ago. I got the same treatment - spinal board, taken to hospital etc. Still bruised and battered. One recommendation - get some arnica tablets or cream (you can get the cream from Boots), it works wonders helping bruising to go down. Other than the usual paracetomol and ibuprofen that is.

It's strange that the police won't give you the driver's details. They came to hospital to take my statement and gave me their shoulder numbers, 999 reference number, driver's name and ph number on a piece of paper. However they won't give me the names or contact details of witnesses until they have completed their investigations. They won't even pass my number to the witnesses for them to contact me. I've got the number of 1 guy, but they took statements from 2 other cyclists and a lorry driver.

Unfortunately whilst you're lying on the tarmac in a neck brace half concussed you're not in a position to get witness details on the scene yourself....

If you ever manage to find out who drove into you, get Russell, Jones and Walker on the case for compensation.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    All the best for a speedy recovery.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    cjcp wrote:
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Cheers for all the GWS's. Been trying to contact the Police all day. Cant get hold of anyone. They are cr@p.

What? :shock: Is it that no-one will pick up the 'phone? Can you get down there in person and say that if unless someone speaks to you asap to tell you what's going on, you want to speak to the Chief Constable otherwise you're reporting it to the Police Complaints Authority? Sorry, thinking out loud a bit.

Or more accurately, go to a police station and ask for the duty Inspector. The Chief Constable will not be there, and even if he is, you won't see him - it's the equivalent of going into a bank and asking to speak to the CEO.

If you get no joy with the duty Inspector, ask for the contact details for the Professional Standards department. They oversee complaints against your local police force. Write to them if you want to "go formal." You can still expect to be passed around the houses, mind.

The PCA were disbanded in 2004 and replaced by the Independent Police Complaints Commission. The IPCC will a) not give a s*** as the complaint is one of poor performance rather than individual misconduct and b) simply refer your complaint back to the Prof Stds department of your local police force to be dealt with locally.

Hope this helps (and guess what I used to do for a living...)
    Rules are for fools.