London query: Cycle parking on/near Horseferry Road

ejls2
ejls2 Posts: 322
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I've got a meeting later today at one of the offices on Horseferry Road. Does anyone know whether there is any good public cycle parking nearby or has it all been removed due to security concerns? Seems like there are a lot of government offices down there!

Cheers,

Ed

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    be careful about leaving bike locked to railings - they can be removed by police round there!!
  • There's usually an exclusion zone of about half a mile around major gov buildings for security reasons (eg for Horseguard's Ave you have to park at Charing Cross). I would only park your bike on an official bike rack, that way you know it's authorised.
  • ejls2
    Thanks both. I found some racks right across from where I was going which were almost empty. There was a notable absence of bikes locked to railings though! Cheers for the advice,

Ed
  • Hi, I've come too late to this discussion to be useful to you this time...but in case of future reference: I DO work at one of the "government offices" on Horseferry Rd (corner of Marsham St, you can probably work out which :wink: ). Have often parked outside the building for hours at a time if forgotten pass to get in the works bike shed/intending only to pop into the office on a weekend--I just lock the bike to a road sign, no problem.

Basically Whitehall is the security-conscious bit, and tends to have notices up warning you against parking bikes (I also had a cop telling me not to park there). Westminster (Victoria St & hinterlands) is more relaxed: just don't go locking to any property that tells you not to (ie it's about building management not wanting their gaff cluttered/damaged by bikes, not the terrorist threat) .
  • ejls2
    Thank you for this 'Transport' related advice ;-)! I will remember it in future.

All the best,

Ed