Thanks to a driver

verloren
verloren Posts: 337
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I know they won't read this, but I wanted to say thanks anyway to the person driving the red Toyota Yaris on the way in to Southampton this morning. Fantastic job of moving over to make space for me, even when I switched from kerb to centerline. I'd definitely ride near you again!

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
'10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
'08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :shock: :shock: A driver was courteous? What was wrong with him/her? Should be reported for dangerous driving :D
  • verloren
    It did confuse me a little, to be honest, but in a good way. I wonder how the police would react if I went in and reported the person for good driving :)

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It's always nice when that happens :lol: A little extra courtsey goes a long way.

I always maintain the majority of cars give me no troubleat all, the only ones I remember are those that get too close, are too aggressive, or that very rare occasion you're just encountered, those show me a little extra courtsey and give me some room.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • You can't trust them, probably a day off from cycling. I was in the car last night, and the look I got from a cyclist at the lights when I shouted that his rear light was off, until he realised what I'd said, he looked as though I'd just insulted his mother.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Rich158 wrote:
    It's always nice when that happens :lol: A little extra courtsey goes a long way.

I always maintain the majority of cars give me no troubleat all, the only ones I remember are those that get too close, are too aggressive, or that very rare occasion you're just encountered, those show me a little extra courtsey and give me some room.
    I think you're spot-on.
  • Are you sure they weren't just turning right without indicating? :lol:
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Roastie wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

I always maintain the majority of cars give me no trouble at all, the only ones I remember are those that get too close, are too aggressive, or that very rare occasion you're just encountered, those show me a little extra courtsey and give me some room.
    I think you're spot-on.

+1

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    verloren wrote:
    I know they won't read this, but I wanted to say thanks anyway to the person driving the red Toyota Yaris on the way in to Southampton this morning. Fantastic job of moving over to make space for me, even when I switched from kerb to centerline. I'd definitely ride near you again!

You've grassed him up now.. The society of nasty evil motorists will be taking disciplinary action against hinm/her for letting the standards drop.

#If they allow this sort of behaviour, it may start to spread. It needs to be stamped out immediately
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Makes me wonder where my "Anti-rants Here" thread went. Buried by rants, probably :(
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Roastie wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

I think you're spot-on.

Unless they are diving Skoda's! :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I find that the number of bad drivers that cut you up or pass too close is about the same as the number of drivers that hang back and give you plenty of room/ dont over take when you indicate right. But here is the big diferance.

when a car passes inches from your elbow you think " dam drivers" and react.
    when a car cuts you up you break/ manover to miss the car.

when a car is driven well you dont need to do anything, so its easly forgotten.

I try to give a little thums up to driver that show me some respect on the road, one so i remember it and it keeps my outlook bright and 2 so that the driver knows that it was a nice thing to do and i did notice.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    marchant wrote:
    Makes me wonder where my "Anti-rants Here" thread went. Buried by rants, probably :(

I'm not going to rant about your Auntie. she's a lovely lady
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • verloren
    Agreed, Bikerbaboon - I do sometimes wonder about the right gesture to make, though, as my wobbly cycling can make even a thumbs-up look rather aggressive at times!

• camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    i always give a wave.
    afew weeks ago WVM was brilliant. Going down Hagley road into Birmingham 40mph limit, downhill so i am doing 30 mph in bus lane, he hung on my rear 3/4 for half a mile and then when a bus stopped in front i looked over my shoulder and he dropped back even more and waved me out. felt like a guardian angel. really bizarre i know but he must be a van driver who cycles.
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    I find that the number of bad drivers that cut you up or pass too close is about the same as the number of drivers that hang back and give you plenty of room/ dont over take when you indicate right. But here is the big diferance.

when a car passes inches from your elbow you think " dam drivers" and react.
    when a car cuts you up you break/ manover to miss the car.

when a car is driven well you dont need to do anything, so its easly forgotten.

I try to give a little thums up to driver that show me some respect on the road, one so i remember it and it keeps my outlook bright and 2 so that the driver knows that it was a nice thing to do and i did notice.

+1 Good outlook. :)
  • I'm doing my level best to give Audi drivers a good name since buying my A4 a couple of weeks ago.. AND I'm especially courteous to cyclists. :wink:

I have to admit that I have seen some stunned expressions when I've given bikes lots of room , or waited patiently, or waved them through junctions :D

I think they see the 4 rings and think "C0ck!" :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    C0ck rings?
  • biondino wrote:
    C0ck rings?

you're typing on the wrong forum again mate....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • verloren
    biondino wrote:
    C0ck rings?

No thanks, but it's kind of you to offer.

• WVM doing his best Austin Powers 968-point turn in a narrow street, pateintly left his front wheels on the kerb to let me pass behind. Well done chap, I hope you managed to get it round eventually; I waved an acknowledgment, honest.
    They can't all be cyclists on their day off can they?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    You know it must be a week for thanking people we normally wouldn't. I did the very same thing on Saturday with the secretary of the league I referee in. The two teams were fantastic, the home club officials were brilliant (clean dressing room, drink at half time, food and beer after the match and generally jolly nice chaps as Jake would say)

It's not often the referee thanks the clubs for a good game. Nice to do once in a while. :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men