Sore hand

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
On the way home last night, after Skoda incident, I clouted what I assume was a vicious "invisible" pothole (Battersea Park Drive past Latchmere, before the railway bridge; will check it out tonight with camera and report to TFL).

The bike took it quite hard, but being a fairly robust beast, it simply transmitted all the force directly into my right hand - more exactly the outside of my palm. It was a bit sore last night, but I didn't think much of it; or at least not until I had to stop working because I couldn't bear to hold the mouse. Then I put some ice on it...

This morning it all felt ok, until I got on the bike and found I could hardly hold the handlebars normally without excruciating pain. I considered turning back to take the car, but decided against it and rode with sort of "gibbon grip" using my fingers to hold on the bars. Fortunately my front brake is on the left so I could ride sort of normally, if slower.

:( Any idea what I've done to myself? :?:

Comments

• R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I had this last week (although not as extreme as you). Owing to all the puddles, I couldn't pick out the potholes and took a few hits.

It sounds a bit like a bruise/sprain, and took a week to feel better for me. My front brake is on the right, and I felt crippled by it :oops:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Lots of silly little bones in the middle of your hand - I understand it's not that hard to fracture some of them. Hope it's nothing like that!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Me too. :( But it is sore - riding home tonight is going to be a b*stard.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Roastie wrote:
    On the way home last night, after Skoda incident, I clouted what I assume was a vicious "invisible" pothole (Battersea Park Drive past Latchmere, before the railway bridge; will check it out tonight with camera and report to TFL).

The bike took it quite hard, but being a fairly robust beast, it simply transmitted all the force directly into my right hand - more exactly the outside of my palm. It was a bit sore last night, but I didn't think much of it; or at least not until I had to stop working because I couldn't bear to hold the mouse. Then I put some ice on it...

This morning it all felt ok, until I got on the bike and found I could hardly hold the handlebars normally without excruciating pain. I considered turning back to take the car, but decided against it and rode with sort of "gibbon grip" using my fingers to hold on the bars. Fortunately my front brake is on the left so I could ride sort of normally, if slower.

:( Any idea what I've done to myself? :?: