The best part currently on your bike..and why?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Following on from the "worst thing on your bike" thread...

me? my brakes.
The Saints a sooo powerful and controllable its unbelievable. Plus they're piss easy to bleed, easy to service and I've never had the "shing" problem of warped disks.

I've tried quite a few brakes in my time, and these will take a bit of beating!!

you?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hmmm, virtually everything "just works", just like it was tricky to choose the worst part. This is my only proper bike, so I've got nothing to compare it to, but I'd say the Reba Race forks, light, stiff, smoooooth. I'd be quite happy to never have Fox if I could get a fork like this on future bikes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    lyrik on the enduro. is the best fork ever.
    joplin on the enduro is the best seatpost ever
    sunline bars and stem on the enduro are the best bars and stem ever.
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    Would it be wrong to say "me"? but failing that, the front wheel, barely ever have to true it which is nice compared to the rear :evil:
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I think for me it has to be my brakes, HOPE mono mini and M4 with floating rotors and added blue bling.

2009_10270007.jpg

2009_10270008.jpg

I have never had a single issue with these brakes, so so simple to bleed, maintain and repair, and like bigbenj says never had the 'shing' problem.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Not sure what to choose.

Probably the new wheels, dt xr4.2D white rims, white hope hubs and sapim cx-ray spokes in silver. Very light stiff and so bling.
  • scale20
    hope do white hubs??

have I missed this one?? 8) 8)

Pics please I need to see them :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • No, i stripped and painted them, the front one still needs the lacquer but i'll do a pic of the rear once my housemate gets in from work and i can use his decent camera...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Time Alium pedals heavy and fugly but the best pedals I have ever used they just work no matter what the conditions
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • scale20
    No, i stripped and painted them, the front one still needs the lacquer but i'll do a pic of the rear once my housemate gets in from work and i can use his decent camera...

Wah, you had me excited then :lol::lol:

Be interesting to see them though. 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • got the photos, need to pop dinner on the will make a WIP thread 8)

the rear weighs 835g without cassette, skewer or rim tape (but i use duck tape)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    everything made by hope or thomson, Thomspon stem and seatpost (OK so not much to go wrong with those) but the hope BB and pro II hubs have been, and continue to be great, they just keep going.

Worst would be the race face BB (and i ve now sheared my third extractor cap FFS!!) and the avid juicy carbons -neither are bad but they re just so much more tempramental than anything else!!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'd say my Hope headset, I've never touched it in 18 months and it still feels silky smooth.

Or, the Orange Bikes 'Special Equipment' badge on the front of it!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Probably the frame (Fuel Ex 8 ).
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    bails87 wrote:
    Hmmm, virtually everything "just works", just like it was tricky to choose the worst part. This is my only proper bike, so I've got nothing to compare it to, but I'd say the Reba Race forks, light, stiff, smoooooth. I'd be quite happy to never have Fox if I could get a fork like this on future bikes.

+1 My rebas are a in a completely differnet league to my Marzocchi EXRs - and this is high praise indeed. Fantastic product, smoother, stiffer and easy to live with, = Win Win Win.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not sure. Either the maxle rev u-turns (comfy yet accurate) , the traversee wheels (light yet strong), the gravity dropper (great yet heavy and ugly) or, hey, just the frame. It's all pretty good really, and pretty complementary, so there's not really bits that stand out.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Pics for you:

4167205403_5801a6ac9b_m.jpg

4167205395_090aa44d53.jpg

4167205387_3221143392_m.jpg

4167970456_900de04926_m.jpg

the WIP thread is here
  • Grease, lube and maintenance. Soz :oops:

'Money can't buy' team issue saddle otherwise - colour matched and comfy as hell :wink:
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Crank Bros cobalt xc wheels; look the biz, nice and light so I really felt the difference straight away and I have never had to true them yet .
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    The frame on my Anthem, it's a little piece of loverleeness :D
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Hmmmm my list is endless, almost.

Every Shimano Chainset I've ever owned, all the abuse a 16st ham-fisted rider can give them without a single malfunction.

Shimano DX flats for being just as tough.

My old '08 888 RC3 WC's, for being blingly and brilliant.

Pro II's, I've had 3 pairs on various bikes and have never let me down, the cassett carriers are a bit soft (I know they do steel ones, but you can't have them OE) but other than that, they're tough work nicely.

729's on my DH bike, a true as the day they were made.

My Cove Shocker frame for be SOOOOOO much fun to ride, stupidly quick, good looking and having a dirty name!
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    My Surly Instigator forks, so in love with them that I am even buying a black frame at xmas to match! :shock:

I just love the precise stiffness of the forks, can throw my front end at anything without having to worry about them at all, my frame on the other hand... :wink:
  • Wololo
    Wololo Posts: 36
    My King Kikapu has a fox Vanilla RLC fork set to 100mm. Amazing fork for a short travel full susser to have...
  • other than the frame, clearly, it has to be the White Industries freewheel. Absolutely gorgeous bit of kit. Just had its teeth replaced after 5 years hard service, still running as smoothly and clicky as ever.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    my mavic 717's on my fuel ex. There only non stock parts. much lighter than the bontrager wheels that came with it
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • The IFT: Up until the weekend I would have said the Fox F100RLC - a great smooth and light fork, but they've developed an intermittent and annoying bit of movement again (feels a bit like a loose headset) which was 'fixed' at the last service (£99!) just 3 months ago. So now I say the wheel (hope hoops) love the look of the hubs, the weight and the nice rachet noise they make (I actually miss that noise when riding other bikes!)

The Wolf Ridge The frame and suspension design are amazing, perfect geometry for me and hardly any bob whatsoever, but still very responsive over bumps. You can punish it and it just comes back for more.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    all the small things ...

mr hyde - either the bombproof FSA pig headset or the totally subjective but all important contact points (24seven bb delux saddle / ODI rogue grips / azonic fusion pedals)

trailstar - similar - 24seven BB delux saddle or DMR V8s

having said that - both my rides are self built so i only chose bits (apart from the dodgy forks on my second bike) that i liked or that worked well for me and the way i ride

slainte 8) rob
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Ooh I forgot!

Chris King headset!!

So good I forgot all about it! Which is the best praise you can give a headset IMHO!
  • well said and very true.
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • Black Chilli Speed Kings, KCNC parts and the Ritchey foam grips tick all the boxes for my use.
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • the Cane Creek tank ll headset on my Bullet - solid bit of kit.........or my Middleburn RS7 crankset. And on my Orange evo8 its got to be the curve in the seat stays......
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.