Ale-Jet still greater than Little Cowboy for now

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited December 2009 in Pro race
One incredible record that will be very difficult to break is the following held by Petacchi.

4 stage wins in the Tour
6 stage wins in the Giro
5 stage wins in the Vuelta

I guess it may well come when Cavendish has the stamina for three grand tours but for now it is a superb record.

Reuters
610x.jpg

Photo by: Harrie Lemeer / Jaak Decoster
1242809704Cavendish_Mark.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Ah, but Cav ain't asthmatic.

At least I hope not!
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, he was coached by Michele Ferrari back then.

He may be as dodgy as coaches get but the arch preparatore can be credited with improving Petacchi's position on the bike, giving him a much lower position on the bike that allowed him to significantly improve his aerodynamics.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I think we should all salute this man

ferpet.jpg
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    That's Giancarlo Ferretin
  • Lampre DS said recently that the goal is for Petacchi to race all three Grand Tours in 2010.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Lampre DS said recently that the goal is for Petacchi to race all three Grand Tours in 2010.

You negelected to mention that he also said "due to my hopes of otherwise winning anything at a GT this year..."
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    At Cavendish's current age, Petacchi only had a stage of the Tour of Langkawi to his name.

I don't really want to knock Petacchi as he was very dominant 2003-2005, but when the Italians have the best sprinter (him or Cipollini), they do tend to fill up the Giro with lots and lots of sprint stages (I think AP won 9 in 2004), which distorts the figures a bit..

2003 was also the only year he won Tour stages, which is a fairly poor career return for someone of his abilities.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    One incredible record that will be very difficult to break is the following held by Petacchi.

4 stage wins in the Tour
    6 stage wins in the Giro
    5 stage wins in the Vuelta

I guess it may well come when Cavendish has the stamina for three grand tours but for now it is a superb record.

Reuters
    610x.jpg

Photo by: Harrie Lemeer / Jaak Decoster
    1242809704Cavendish_Mark.jpg

Stamina? How many of those 3 GTs did Ale finish?

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    calvjones wrote:

One - the Vuelta.
    Giro - missed time limit on stage 18 (along with about 30 others)
    Tour - abandoned after stage 7.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

One - the Vuelta.
    Giro - missed time limit on stage 18 (along with about 30 others)
    Tour - abandoned after stage 7.

Respec'

To be fair, I suspect I'd be outside the Giro time limit a while before Stage 18...

Strava is not Zen.