Knog LED Lights

ChillyGetsTrilly
ChillyGetsTrilly Posts: 75
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Anyone seen/heard of these nifty things? An Aussie company is up for a design award for their LED Bike lights. cool little things if i do say so myself.

check em out: http://www.knog.com.au/Product.aspx?productId=160

oh and the design contest is here (you can vote if you'd like): http://www.wallpaper.com/readers-poll-2010/

8)

Comments

• RossMu
    RossMu Posts: 59
    I like the look of them. I already have a semi-decent front light, but think I might get a frog and point it just in front of the front tyre, to give me a better range of visibility.
  • yeah not a bad idea. they're supposedly super flexible and easy to place. not to mention verrrry bright
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    There brilliant - used mine for about a year or so. never let me down and never leaked in water - batteries last for ages too. Used to go through a set of lights every year!
  • They're very good, especially if you have limited room on the bars, odd shaped seat-posts etc etc and don't need to cycle in rural unlit streets. Inexpensive to boot.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    good set of lights, very flexible placement and takes 2 secs to pop them on or off. slightly expensive tho.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    They stopped working after a couple of yokel wet rides, the rubber casing doesn't fully seal from real man's rain, none of that pansy London drizzle.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Mine works faultlessly. I have one on the back of my mountain bike with no rear mud guard, gets covered in rain and mud all the time. So much so that you can't see the LEDs any more and I have to wash it before going back on road.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    They are OK as a backup - I've got a Toad up front, long battery life, bright ish, but I'd recommend some more serious lights as the main ones.
  • number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    I've got the bar end light, pretty good.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Planet X are doing some lights that seem pretty similar - Skullyz I think ?

They seem nice - but only as back up to another set, I'd not trust any light by itself.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I have 3 of these, 2 front and 1 rear, great as back up lights, bright, snazzy and cool.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • number9
    You usually see Knogs or similar as lights attached to the back of the rucksack. I love these, they give a good impression of size, if that makes sense.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I have a Toad, a Frog and a Skink. All very fit for purpose, though not bright enough for off-road/rural riding. I did notice that my Skink, which had suffered two 2-hour journeys on my bike rack in the rain, started turning itself on for a few hours after I got home, but it seems fine now.
  • I have a Gekko for the rear which I bought as I was frustrated with my Cateye falling off/dropping to pieces on the rough stuff off road.

It's good in terms of durability and not falling off. Can't comment on how it looks as I'm never behind myself when it's on!

As for commuting use, it's probably OK as a back-up. Don't know about the fronts.
  • Have a pair as back up lights and for getting 'caught out late lights'. Very nifty and a great design. Seem really bright for the size of them.
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    Weird innit. Some people say they're great...some say terrible. Not much middle ground.

I've got 6 or 7 of them...the design is elegantly simple and I buy into that. I've lost 2 due to water damage and as such:

Myself and a small tube of bathroom sealant spent a nice afternoon sealing the little fekkers into their silicone gloves. I can't change the batteries in them now, without getting a bit messy or at least, complicated. But they are so little and lightweight...how can i say no.

In terms of safety - they're not "bright" unless you're right in the firing line, but they do tick the 'legal' box.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Tey're far better than anything by Crapeye. No stupid mount required. Yeah they don't last for ever but they're perfect for city commuting and can be easily attached to bags/clothing etc as well as bikes.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    They're pretty good and they actually look nice (unlike 99% of bike lights which are so incredibly ugly I can't bring myself to use them except on my hack... I'm a designer, I can't help it :shock: ).

I use Gekkos front and rear, with a couple of Frogs as additional lights.

Good for lit city streets, naff outside the town though, they're not bright enough.

PS

I detest the way that the Knog website is written. Just tell me what the light does, what features it has, what batteries it takes etc. Don't give me some bollocks about Yeti fighting Bigfoot - the lack of real information just puts me off.
  • they're great as a backup, wouldn't use them as sole lights though.

I quite like the cateye lights though, the mounts are good (i get free warranty replacements as i work in a bike shop) until they snap. Most of my lights just get zip tied onto bikes though, it's easier that way.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    PS

I detest the way that the Knog website is written. Just tell me what the light does, what features it has, what batteries it takes etc. Don't give me some bollocks about Yeti fighting Bigfoot - the lack of real information just puts me off.

Tell me about it. I clicked on one light and expected to see run time but instead some plonker has written "boobs boobs boobs"

:roll: Yeah the guy that wrote it. :roll:
  • Saw one attached to a rear hub a couple of weeks back.

I've have said that it was the poor man's* tyrefly, but they aren't exactly cheap!

*and the rider was female ... details, details
  • duncedunce wrote:
    Saw one attached to a rear hub a couple of weeks back.

I've have said that it was the poor man's* tyrefly, but they aren't exactly cheap!

*and the rider was female ... details, details

I'd attached my Frog to my rear hub last winter. Took it off in the summer and am now dithering about whether it is appropriate or sensible to put it back. Is it legal (as it would be flashing forward part of the time, albeit largely obscured by the frame)? Is it helpful or will it confuse drivers as it is an unexpected and unfamiliar position - so doesn't help identify me as a bike?

I've also got a Gekko on the front as a flashing back up to my constant beam front light.

Both are very easy to attach and take off, and can be fitted almost anywhere. Seem reliable and have good run time. Also good, bright lights (which is kinda important).

And I'm with the other comments about "CrapEye". My rear bounced off its fitting never to be seen again. I dropped myfront from about 3 feet yesterday - no visible damage but it doesn't work any more :cry: (a google shows this is a fairly common problem) and that was a £60 light when new, though they're a bit cheaper now. You could bounce a Knog like a rubber ball and I bet it would still work.

I've got a
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • number9
    I've got a

brand new combine harvester?
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Thing is with the cateye 610s is that the mounts work best if you have to side the light in sideways. The mounts where you drop them in from above seem to launch them out I notice.