Men's sizing...

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Calm down people, calm down, I'm not actually the female version of DDD.

I want a Polaris Quantum jacket, but it appears to be man-shaped. Now, when they say 'waist' in a men's jacket size chart, do they mean your actual waist? Or is that more a hip measurement? How far down from the shoulder do they measure the 'waist' from?

Also, with the chest measurements, is that usually your actual chest measurement? Or is there a bit of leeway? Reason being that according to this size chart, I need an XL on the chest, but I'm concerned this will be massive and tent-like.

Or does anyone know of a ladies' orange hi-viz waterproof?

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Us men aren't smart enough to understand sizing beyond "S", "M", "L", etc. :)
  • Waist is usually waist in jackets. Chest wise can vary between manufactures of course but... I'm snug but not over tight in a medium Gore - perfect for cycling in with max 3 thinish layers but then I don't get that cold. Clinicly 38 inch chest with muscular shoulders. I suspect the waist on the xl would be entertaining on you.

I'd say you could fit a medium perhaps a large dredging up visual memories from the Morpeth.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Can you not get into a shop and try it on?

Failing that - I'd probably be alright in the XL - so if you can remember roughly what I look like, take that as a marker post and adjust accordingly (downwards!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    hey LIT.

I have always measured my waist round just at the top of the hip bone......so just below a womens waist, but above her hips....if you know what i mean..us blokes don't tend to go 'in' above the hip bones as ladies do.

chest measurements i have always measured round at about the normal expected height....and then if i want it to be baggy, add 2 inches. it really does depend on the cut of the garment though....i am almost exaclty a 40" chest, but some 40" garments seem snug, whilst others have a little more room....not exactly helpful i know, but......
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Reason being that according to this size chart, I need an XL on the chest, but I'm concerned this will be massive and tent-like.

Where is DDD to make the obvious quip about 'lucky you' or somesuch :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Another thing you need to be aware of LiT, the shoulders on mens clothing are usually wider than on a ladies so it may not sit right.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm a 42-44 inch chest Lit. I wear 36inch trousers because of the thighs but am actually a 33 - 34.

Mens waist sizing tend to be on the hip (on or just below the love handles) and not the above (like ladies are I think). Though most jackets I don't even bother about checking the waist as the elastic compensates.

You're main concern (if tent like) would be the shoulders, best bet would be to try a mans cycling jacket (similar in dimension) to the one you want to buy.

All that said my Pearl Izumi jacket is large and I thought it was XL...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • But won't the problem with a man's jacket be that it won't be cut very well for the feminine - ahem - shape?

eg fitting the chest may mean the waist is baggy, whereas fitting the waist may give you a look across the chest you're not really after.

Or maybe you are.

Who knows?

Not me, that's for sure.

Don't Assos do some helpfully well designed women's jacket that follows the cut of their women's bib tights? :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Greg66 wrote:
    Don't Assos do some helpfully well designed women's jacket that follows the cut of their women's bib tights? :wink:

I suspect the orange requirement (which I completely agree with) may cause some difficulties...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    you should just get the womens cut, plus you'll get the bonus of pink and fluffy options
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Ah, here's the female version.
  • Clever Pun
    biondino wrote:

wern't you wearing that at the peth recently?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Assos are famed for their stupid women's designs...

And yes, I do want orange.

Hmmm. I think I may have to go and try it on. My fear is that the 'waist' is actually more like a hip measurement, and if that's the case it ain't gonna fit, but it doesn't look too triangular from the site...

I'd love an orange ladies' hi-viz. I really would. But I can't find one.
  • Okay, well, the waist measurement is the minimum diameter that a piece of suspension bridge cable can withstand under the outward pressure of your 6 pack. For example, here is a 32" waist:

fat-belly.jpg

Chest measurement, just like girls - around the ribs, not the moobs, because you don't want to end up with a size too large. Here's a chap wearing a L, whereas clearly he should be wearing a M.

moobs_simon.jpg
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    jesus - does he ice those?????
  • Clever Pun
    PBo wrote:
    jesus - does he ice those?????

during his regular manscaping yes

I feel dirty I even know that word

(he's recently got his hands waxed)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Okay, well, the waist measurement is the minimum diameter that a piece of suspension bridge cable can withstand under the outward pressure of your 6 pack. For example, here is a 32" waist:

fat-belly.jpg

Chest measurement, just like girls - around the ribs, not the moobs, because you don't want to end up with a size too large. Here's a chap wearing a L, whereas clearly he should be wearing a M.

moobs_simon.jpg

Oh well in that case I'll take a small... Wait, if it can hold in a gut it can hold in my actual bones, right?

EDIT: Simon Cowell is an odd shape, isn't he?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm a 42-44 inch chest Lit. I wear 36inch trousers because of the thighs but am actually a 33 - 34.

Mens waist sizing tend to be on the hip (on or just below the love handles) and not the above (like ladies are I think). Though most jackets I don't even bother about checking the waist as the elastic compensates.

You're main concern (if tent like) would be the shoulders, best bet would be to try a mans cycling jacket (similar in dimension) to the one you want to buy.

All that said my Pearl Izumi jacket is large and I thought it was XL...

+1 - I am 42" chest and a 32/33" waist. Have to buy 34" or bigger to get jeans over my thighs and butt.

Anyway - My wife has used my orange Altura jacket for commuting, she is "busty" and consequently the "L" size is fine for her - little bit of roll up on the sleeves though!

I think the XL will be like a tent on you LiT. I suppose you can always take it back.
  • biondino wrote:

I clicked on that, expecting to see the Assos girl....... :oops:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can't offer any advice on sizing other than trying on the jacket in a shop. I bought a Night Vision last weekend and had to buy inshop and used Evans and they pricematched Merlin which meant 30% back in my pocket :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Any good as an alternative? (if available in the uk, that is)
    http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?m ... _id=396369
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I'd love an orange ladies' hi-viz. I really would. But I can't find one.

Yey for orange :).
    Have you had a look at this one? I've been wearing the male version for a while now and i can't fault it, also in orange.
    Couldn't find a picture of the women's orange jacket, but here's the 'mint' one and this is the male version I've got.

Hope that's of some help.
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Can't really help here LiT, it's confusing enough for me. In jerseys, I take a medium from some manufacturers (Primal Wear), and large from others (Owayo, whoever makes them for Kraftwerk, gone with large for my Foska Wallace and Gromit one). I get the same in T-shirts though- generally a large, though some XLs aren't baggy on me.........!
    Orange? Matching the Maxima?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Clever Pun
    StuAff wrote:
    Can't really help here LiT, it's confusing enough for me. In jerseys, I take a medium from some manufacturers (Primal Wear), and large from others (Owayo, whoever makes them for Kraftwerk, gone with large for my Foska Wallace and Gromit one). I get the same in T-shirts though- generally a large, though some XLs aren't baggy on me.........!

now that's just confusing... got to be Italian childrens sizes :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Clever Pun wrote:
    StuAff wrote:

now that's just confusing... got to be Italian childrens sizes :lol:

:lol: Meant aren't too baggy....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Kazz_uk wrote:
    I'd love an orange ladies' hi-viz. I really would. But I can't find one.

Yey for orange :).
    Have you had a look at this one? I've been wearing the male version for a while now and i can't fault it, also in orange.
    Couldn't find a picture of the women's orange jacket, but here's the 'mint' one and this is the male version I've got.

Hope that's of some help.

Oooooh yes it is! Thanks very much, will check it out...

I'm very much girl-shaped y'see, I rang fatbirds.co.uk with my measurements and their response was 'you really ought to just find another jacket that will actually fit you, because this one won't'.

And there's an Evans nearby so I can try one one! Yaaaaaay thanks!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    fatbirds.co.uk - chapeau to them for getting away with that :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Just get the medium and zip it part way up...

:wink:
  • Clever Pun

DDD you hacked Il Principes account?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:

DDD you hacked Il Principes account?

:lol::lol:

You are both very silly. That is not a solution.