Putney Bridge

Chunkers1980
Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Anyone cycle across Putney Bridge regularly?
Notice any time it rains the road seems to fall apart?
This morning after heavy rain there were MASSIVE holes in the tarmac, which by lunch were patched up. The whole road is just a mess and a patchwork of what seem like temporary fixes including a huge metal plate!
I think it may be time it was resurfaced… What council is responsible for it? H&F or Wandsworth?

Comments

• It's not just Putney Bridge. I've seen some massive holes open up since the Big Rain we've just had. Mostly they're in the same spots that had massive holes after the snow and ice cleared earlier this year. Poor filings, I'd guess.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Wandsworth. It's a nightmare because of the number of busses which churn up the tarmac, not helped by the pointless filling in of holes - which then disintegrate at the first sight of rain. Apparently they're implementing a northbound cycle-lane which might improve the surface, though I'm not sure how that's going to work.

To be honest I'm pretty fed up with the ghastly state of the roads, full stop. There are stretches on my commute that are so bad it's necessary to stand up. God knows how much damage that is doing to the bike.
  • W1 wrote:
    God knows how much damage that is doing to the bike.

The bike can take it.

My lower back's a different matter though.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • W1 wrote:
    Apparently they're implementing a northbound cycle-lane which might improve the surface, though I'm not sure how that's going to work.

Any info on this anywhere on the net? Sounds interesting....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Putney Bridge is in a disgraceful condition in both conditions. I've come off in this weather when filtering across from the bus lane to turn down the LRR. I hit a pothole and lost the front end.

Does the same or separate, but equally carefree, council take responsibility for the state of the New King's Road?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    given how fast it deteriorates and is repatch I never list it on fill that hole, the stretch from putney bridge to parsons green on the King Road however!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Today's potholes were insane - glad they filled them quickly at least!!
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    The potholes are bad, but what about the sheets of metal they put over them. Slippery as hell in the rain.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    cjcp wrote:
    Putney Bridge is in a disgraceful condition in both conditions. I've come off in this weather when filtering across from the bus lane to turn down the LRR. I hit a pothole and lost the front end.

Does the same or separate, but equally carefree, council take responsibility for the state of the New King's Road?

I think that's Hammersmith and Fulham. That stretch is also appalling, particularly from Putney Bridge to Parsons Green, and especially the cycle lane.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    blu3cat wrote:
    The potholes are bad, but what about the sheets of metal they put over them. Slippery as hell in the rain.

Quite. You've got to stay right in the bus lane, but give yourself enough time and space to avoid the pothole/crater/gateway to the centre of the earth on the right just as you crest the bridge.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Where do us tax payers stand on road quality? if the pavement is a mess you can and should phone the local council and they're meant to fix it, clearly the same doesn't apply for roads otherwise http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ wouldn't exist.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, it's pretty awful. Especially when the holes are full of water! Have nearly come acropper in the wet when traversing the line of craters demarking the lanes just before the lights... Will take a bit more care this evening.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    MTFU the lot of you townies at least you can see the road and said potholes, i'm using the force.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    itboffin wrote:
    MTFU the lot of you townies at least you can see the road and said potholes, i'm using the force.

Except townies have to deal with Buses & stuff - real obstacles. The countryside is all soft verges. The worst thing that happens is a cow jack-knifes and causes a tailback or a flat hoof or something. :wink:
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • itboffin
    blu3cat wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Except townies have to deal with Buses & stuff - real obstacles. The countryside is all soft verges. The worst thing that happens is a cow jack-knifes and causes a tailback or a flat hoof or something. :wink:

Pah you don't know your born, it's brutal out here, those badgers are killers, killers I tell you!