BORED.

Sheptastic
Sheptastic Posts: 298
edited December 2009 in Amateur race
This winter is going very slowly and i'm struggling to motivate myself for those long slow rides. My 1st season of road racing seems a long way off (formerly a rower), currently worried i'll be fat and slow by my 1st race! How do you get through the winter when youtube repeats of the GTs become boring?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Remind yourself that it's only 12 weeks to your first race in early March and you'd better do some quality training before then! :wink:

You could always try something a bit different at this time of year - I did an MTB enduro at Thetford yesterday which was a blast and far more enjoyable than the usual winter fare of club runs and turbo training.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Bronzie wrote:
    Remind yourself that it's only 12 weeks to your first race in early March and you'd better do some quality training before then! :wink:

You could always try something a bit different at this time of year - I did an MTB enduro at Thetford yesterday which was a blast and far more enjoyable than the usual winter fare of club runs and turbo training.

Bollox.... I forgot all about that... :evil: :evil:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Thanks, great idea, however nothing i can do about it now, i have the worlds worst chest infection. looks like i'm sitting on my arse for 2 weeks getting fat!
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Nice, just in time for christmas!

I'm going to spice it up by having a 3 week training block involving roughly 1200km :):):)

Also you can still do hard efforts over winter to spice things up, don't overdo it and go into race mode, but intervals will keep your legs awake.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have always thought that learning to conquer boredom(i.e. the trainer dungeon, etc.)
    was as much a part of training as the ACTUAL riding. Learning to be at ease with you
    and yourself alone is a good thing. When I'm riding by myself I'm talking to myself, solving the worlds problems, getting rid of anger, all that kind of stuff. I've had people ride up behind me(silently) and then ask "Who the hell are you talking to?". Myself, I guess.
    Anyway it breaks up the boredom.
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    I decided to tackle my training apathy by taking up hill running. Trouble is that 2 years on I've hardly touched a bike.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned