forks

gareth79
gareth79 Posts: 66
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
im just wondering on how to justify the maximum fork for a frame ???? (hardtail) is there any way of measuring ? is it to do with the chainstay being 100% level ?
The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked.

Comments

• Wololo
    Wololo Posts: 36
    I saw somewhere else that you have a Landrover Tahora. I believe it has an 80mm fork. I dare say you could get away with 100mm, but I wouldn't push it any further than that.

However, having seen the standard of your posts elsewhere, I imagine a 130mm+ fork will be finding its way onto your frame very soon...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it has nothing to do with chainstays.

give us the make and model and will give some ideas.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yeah your right but the forks i have are 100mm i just want to get sum new ones for my next frame but would probably put them on the tahora to kill it hahahaha i cant remember what forks i had on it i took them off the same day i got the bike
    The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked.
  • ive got a landrover tahora at the miniute but getting the NS surge or the azonic steelhead pro not sure yet , im one of them people who bend the rules of geometry im thinkin if i get the surge ill get pikes? or if i get the azonic ill go for totems ?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    gareth79 wrote:
    ive got a landrover tahora at the miniute but getting the NS surge or the azonic steelhead pro not sure yet , im one of them people who bend the rules of geometry im thinkin if i get the surge ill get pikes? or if i get the azonic ill go for totems ?
    totems and oikes are very, very different forks, totems are huge freeride forks, pikes, aggresive Am forks. i had a tahora once, id put no more than 120 on there, you wont "bend the rules of geo" youl just bend yourself, dont bother, buy a new frame for the new forks, and sell, the landie, of maybe keep it for a town hack.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • haha yeah i would probably end up dead , well the surge says itll take upto 160mm forks max , so would 20mm+ on the totems make a difference? im gonna melt the landie down and make a seatpost out of it :D oh yeah the azonic steelhead pro ive read that someone has 200mm forks on that !!!!!!!
  • pikes are baby freeride forks for freeride hardtails and short travel FS bikes, they're more than tough enough. The rev is the am fork which is a fair chunk lighter.
  • just looked at the Rock Shox Revelation Team Dual Air Forks 2010 mmmmmmmmmmm there nice i should of said im looking for one with a maxel as i keep snappin qr's :oops:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    gareth79 wrote:
    haha yeah i would probably end up dead , well the surge says itll take upto 160mm forks max , so would 20mm+ on the totems make a difference? im gonna melt the landie down and make a seatpost out of it :D oh yeah the azonic steelhead pro ive read that someone has 200mm forks on that !!!!!!!
    yes, 20mm more will make a dif, itll ruin your warrenty, ruin the sorted handling, probably snap the bike, and if they say 160 MAX they mean 160 MAX they have tested it and 160 is the most travel it will accept before it becomes dangerouse.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • gareth79 wrote:
    haha yeah i would probably end up dead , well the surge says itll take upto 160mm forks max , so would 20mm+ on the totems make a difference? im gonna melt the landie down and make a seatpost out of it :D oh yeah the azonic steelhead pro ive read that someone has 200mm forks on that !!!!!!!
    yes, 20mm more will make a dif, itll ruin your warrenty, ruin the sorted handling, probably snap the bike, and if they say 160 MAX they mean 160 MAX they have tested it and 160 is the most travel it will accept before it becomes dangerouse.
    ok i supose that does make sence
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    People talk about geometry as if you can't mess with it, but look at Cotic, the Soul runs like a race bike at 100mm, like a tough XC bike at 120mm, and like a perfect trail bike at 140mm. Then with the exact same geometry on the BFe, fire in a set of 160mm Lyrics or somesuch and go and do the megavalanche. Not all bikes suffer.

Not that this matters if you snap the head tube clean off or fold the main frame in half by fitting a fork too long for the frame to physically deal with. Someone told me a line once, which I like- if you add a lot of extra travel to a bike, if you actually needed the travel you'll break it, if it doesn't break you never needed the extra fork :wink: It's not quite true like, i put longer forks in mine not because I wanted 140mm of impact soaking, I just wanted to slack the bike off, but it's still generally quite accurate. If you're riding the bike hard you can't take liberties with it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    People talk about geometry as if you can't mess with it, but look at Cotic, the Soul runs like a race bike at 100mm, like a tough XC bike at 120mm, and like a perfect trail bike at 140mm. Then with the exact same geometry on the BFe, fire in a set of 160mm Lyrics or somesuch and go and do the megavalanche. Not all bikes suffer.

Not that this matters if you snap the head tube clean off or fold the main frame in half by fitting a fork too long for the frame to physically deal with. Someone told me a line once, which I like- if you add a lot of extra travel to a bike, if you actually needed the travel you'll break it, if it doesn't break you never needed the extra fork :wink: It's not quite true like, i put longer forks in mine not because I wanted 140mm of impact soaking, I just wanted to slack the bike off, but it's still generally quite accurate. If you're riding the bike hard you can't take liberties with it.
    thats all i wanna do make the front end higher not to jump of canary warf doing a flare ....... although that would be cool lol
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Adding longer forks has other effects too - slacker head and seat angles (and with the latter sat further behind the bottom bracket), higher bottom bracket, longer front centre, longer wheelbase.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Some bikes do go a bit wrong :lol: The opposite of what I was saying can apply, like, I had an On One Scandal. Nice bike, warrantied for up to 130mm of fork but when I put my 130mms in it, it rode a bit like it was pissed. Went downhill very well but it felt long and floppy and the seatpost was so slacked off I felt like i was sat behind the wheel. (On One fans get a bit upset sometimes when I say that, the other side was that at 100mm, it was fantastic- incredibly light, cheap and comfy)

But then my Idrive actually rides better with 140mm in it than it does with the 130mm it was designed for. And so did my Kraken, with 130mm instead of 120mm. Funny old world.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Some bikes do go a bit wrong :lol: The opposite of what I was saying can apply, like, I had an On One Scandal. Nice bike, warrantied for up to 130mm of fork but when I put my 130mms in it, it rode a bit like it was pissed. Went downhill very well but it felt long and floppy and the seatpost was so slacked off I felt like i was sat behind the wheel. (On One fans get a bit upset sometimes when I say that, the other side was that at 100mm, it was fantastic- incredibly light, cheap and comfy)

But then my Idrive actually rides better with 140mm in it than it does with the 130mm it was designed for. And so did my Kraken, with 130mm instead of 120mm. Funny old world.
    hahaha i get ya well if i do ,do a crazy concoction of bike parts ill post em on here and if i get hurt in the process too ill post that to haha <<<<<<<<<< is 10000000% gonna get the ns surge :D went to red planet saw the orange p thing well nice welding n tube job :shock: jus wernt me so ima go for the polish lol
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    The Azonic Steelhead Pro is a DJ frame and designed for 100mm forks.
    The guy that put 200mm, probably put it just for that picture.

Also if you want to put Totems, cheap alternative is the DMR Exalt, which can take
    150-170mm forks so 10mm more shouldn't be a problem for a 3.1kg, 4130 frame.

And how the f*** a local guy runs his 150mm Drop Dff qr forks on his low end
    Trek 3900 2007, which originaly came with 70mm forks. That's insane. :shock:
  • just for the record... I find the NS Surge handles and rides way better at 160mm.

Adjust the Uturn on my domains every now and then to try it out but you just get chucked over the front end, even with 140mm.
    I also find it easier to climb with 160mm!

Its worth noting that (IMO) the Surge is a proper play bike... its heavy, strong and built to go downwards....
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    just for the record... I find the NS Surge handles and rides way better at 160mm.

Adjust the Uturn on my domains every now and then to try it out but you just get chucked over the front end, even with 140mm.

Its worth noting that (IMO) the Surge is a proper play bike... its heavy, strong and built to go downwards....
    i like the sound of downwards :lol: so hows your surge ????? any regrets ????
  • gareth79 wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    just for the record... I find the NS Surge handles and rides way better at 160mm.

i like the sound of downwards :lol: so hows your surge ????? any regrets ????
    Not one at all... bloody brilliant bike, built like a bloody tank!

BUT, I am now building a more trail friendly HT so I can ride a wider variety of trails :)
  • love it :D im jus not sure on color though :(
  • gareth79
    you have PM back mate.