The Turbo sweats

gert_lush
gert_lush Posts: 634
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Since the big firey ball has long since disappeared from our lives, and been replaced by vast amounts of water falling from the sky I have taken to using the turbo trainer a few times a week just for an hour at a time to try and keep some sort of fitness going.

As all who have used one will know it leaves you a tad on the warm side and no matter how many windows open, fans etc you always sweat buckets. Being the geeky type I thought I should find out how much fluid I actually lost in an hour session so I weighed myself (in the nud) did an hours session (with clothes on!) and then weighed myself again without taking any fluid onboard

1.2KG! so 1.2 litres, I couldn’t believe it was so much, that’s definitely more than I normally drink in the hour, maybe I should take it outside and train on the pavement to keep cooler! Or just MTFU and go out in the dark wind and rain and do some proper riding!
FCN 8 mainly
FCN 4 sometimes

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Absolutely! :D
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yep.

Even if you drink a lot more, you're fighting a losing battle there, because your body cannot absorb water as fast as you sweat. As you progressively drink more, you'll reach a point where you are wasting water because you cannot use it and release the excess via the bathroom. Adding salt to your fluids aids hydration, allowing you to absorb slightly more and drinking in the 90 minutes before the session will obviously give you an advantage.

As for the heat - I don't sweat at all on my rollers and I have 2 fans: 1 pointed at my chest/head from the front of the bike and another pointing at my legs at an upward angle from the side. Sometimes they're not even on full blast as it can get too cold! :shock: (I've got these: [LINK])

If you wear a wet tshirt or wrap a wet towel around your head, due to evaporative cooling, you'll get a wind chill effect, making the fan seem 3 or 4 times more effective. Careful though - you can sometimes go too far and replicate the actual harsh conditions you were trying to avoid by staying in! :lol:
  • seems maybe I need to Man The Fan Up then! :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bhima - how hard are you riding on the rollers though ? If I was spinning along I'd barely be breaking sweat - but doing a steady pace - the sweat pours off me.
  • Bhima
    cougie wrote:
    Bhima - how hard are you riding on the rollers though ? If I was spinning along I'd barely be breaking sweat - but doing a steady pace - the sweat pours off me.

Trust me, i'm riding VERY hard. :lol:

Short intervals are difficult to actually do because they usually consist of me spinning out a 50x11 gear at 85 kph easily but there's serious resistance for anything longer than a 5 minute all-out effort. I've been doing 20 minute and 40 minute non-stop intervals, holding about 50kph, which is about 10 mile TT pace.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Bhima wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Trust me, i'm riding VERY hard. :lol:

Short intervals are difficult to actually do because they usually consist of me spinning out a 50x11 gear at 85 kph easily but there's serious resistance for anything longer than a 5 minute all-out effort. I've been doing 20 minute and 40 minute non-stop intervals, holding about 50kph, which is about 10 mile TT pace.

Eh Bhima that mileage in your sig is not for this year is it?

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I only use mine in the winter and then in the garage. Man, I still sweat but it's generally cool enough to keep it to reasonable levels.

Here's a little video I put together last year. Just messing about really and no proper regime on that night, just trying to make a short film.

winter training on the turbo trainer
    FCN = 4
  • Bhima
    itboffin wrote:

No, not milage, kilometers. Yeah, it's from 2009.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I sweat like a loon on the turbo.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Bhima wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

No, not milage, kilometers. Yeah, it's from 2009.

Er mods can you ban this person from commuting please, move on Bhima there's nothing for you too see here, it all very boring talk of hi-viz and bad drivers, boring totally, oh look naked pics of VP over on cake stop :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Put one of those "bra" things over your bike - it'll rust if its steel!
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Bhima wrote:
    Yep.

Even if you drink a lot more, you're fighting a losing battle there, because your body cannot absorb water as fast as you sweat. As you progressively drink more, you'll reach a point where you are wasting water because you cannot use it and release the excess via the bathroom.

WTF???? If you release the excess via the bathroom it has been in your blood stream and therefore if your body needs it it will retain it! If you pee it out you have enough on board. How exactly do we "use" water??
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough