Cracked Rim - is this terminal?

markshaw77
markshaw77 Posts: 437
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi all

I was cleaning my bike this evening and when i cleaned the rims of all the accumulated rubbish, I found several spots on the rear rim where it looks like the rim is cracked around the spoke - almost as if the spoke is "pulling through" the rim.

I can't get the images to display properly (it's too late for my little brain!!) so I have posted them at: http://gallery.me.com/markshaw77#100024

Are these cracks the end of this rim?

If yes:
- Are they safe to ride until I get some new ones?
- Would it still be ok to use the wheel as a spare for my turbo (less weight bearing?)?
- Any tips for new wheels? :)
[I have a new Scott CR1 on order which will come with Aksiums, so if I am quick I may be able to see if I can get a good upgrade price for some more bling wheels and put the Aksiums on my commuter!!]

If no:
- what, if anything, can i do to stop them getting worse?
- how much longer are they likely to last before causing serious issues?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Comments

• markshaw77 wrote:
    Are these cracks the end of this rim?

If yes:
    - Are they safe to ride until I get some new ones?
    - Would it still be ok to use the wheel as a spare for my turbo (less weight bearing?)?
    - Any tips for new wheels? :)
    [I have a new Scott CR1 on order which will come with Aksiums, so if I am quick I may be able to see if I can get a good upgrade price for some more bling wheels and put the Aksiums on my commuter!!]

I'd say

- not really, but then, chances are that you've been riding on them like this for a while, so they must be able to survive a bit of riding in this state. I wouldn't chance it meself.
    - possibly, assuming the turbo supports the bike by the rear QR. Possibly. Never heard of anyone trying this, though.
    - budget?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    terminal, dont wait to long.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • like others I'd not trust that wheel.
  • terminal. i had a similar thing when my bike was in the turbo trainer for a year. lbs said they had never seen anything like it. now i've seen it twice. it is only cheap for a rim replacement, if you do it yourself that is.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    New wheel required. Don't ride on it. I'd change the front too, I'd have no faith in that either.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    The Alex Rims i had were truley awful.

I wouldn't ride on those.
  • Thanks for the replies - that's pretty much what I thought too!! They are just the stock wheels that came with the bike, so I suppose they have done pretty well to last the 5k miles they have done on London's shoddy roads in the last year!

Any ideas what might have caused it? Pothholes/impact or something else?

As for replacements/upgrades, I am definitely leaning towards upgrading the wheels on the new bike and putting the Aksiums onto the commuter - I was thinking of doing that in the longer term anyway, so I guess this has just made the decision for me!!

So, budget would be probably £250-£350, so I guess that covers things like Fulcrum Racing 5's, Easton EA50/EA70, Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, Mavic Cosmic Elite - any thoughts/recommendations?

I will give the guys at Epic a call and see what deals they can do...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Definitley on the way out - but I have a rim thats got a 5mm crack in it on my hack bike and its been there for a couple of years at least. I check it after every ride to make sure its not got worse and its on the list of 'things to do'.....
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    BentMikey wrote:
    New wheel required. Don't ride on it. I'd change the front too, I'd have no faith in that either.

Surely new rim is all that is neded.

There is nothing to suggest hub is knackered, so a new rim and possibly new spokes
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    spen666 wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:

There is nothing to suggest hub is knackered, so a new rim and possibly new spokes

Why would you use old spokes with a new rim?

Bob
  • BentMikey wrote:
    A rear wheel takes more punishment and has to withstand uneven spoke tension. The front is worth keeping an eye on but may not need replacing.

I've had this happen on Mavic rims too - nothing sinister about Alex rims per se.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    beverick wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:

Bob

If the spokes are ok, then why replace them, that is a waste of money and resources
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    beverick wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:

Bob

If the spokes are ok, then why replace them, that is a waste of money and resources
    No bike shop will relace a wheel with old spokes. There seems to be an understanding that unleading a spoke and then re-tensioning it can cause it to fail, even through this happens once per revolution during normal use.

If you want to re-use a spoke (which I've never had a problem doing) you have to do it yourself.