Bought a Ridgeback Flight 04

chrishumes
chrishumes Posts: 227
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
RIght guys,

ive been on here a while thinking what to get (road/hybrid etc). I decided on a hybrid (flat bar road bike). I then went through the options of bikes around the £1000 mark (Giant Rapid/Trek fx), and have bought a Ridgeback Flight 04. Its a 09 model, same as the 2010, but got it about £200 cheaper.

Anyone got one of these? they seem good value for money and fit the bill for me - Lightish frame, carbon fork, good disc brakes, sealed hub so low maintenance.

Any good points/bad points to look out for?

cheers

Comments

• Change the pedals to something like M520 SPDs, those toe-clips that come with the bike will get very tiresome in London traffic.

Also surprised you don't get a carbon seatpost for a £1000 bike. So I'd upgrade that too.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Only bad point is that is not a proper road bike and not a hybrid.

So problem is, in 6 months time, if you catch the cycling bug you will want to upgrade to a proper road bike.

And it is not a hybrid either so you won’t really be able to go off-roads that much unless you change the tyres to something a bit wider.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cheers guys

im getting fitted some spd sl pedals, and bar ends, and looking into carbon seat posts - they seem expensive though - any ideas on where to get one at a decent cost. ?

i know where your coming from on the road/hybrid issue. ive figured that if i like cycling i will get a decent road bike next year as well, but keep this for commuting - believe me ive spent 4 months thinking of what to get!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    in any case I am sure you will enjoy it - just don't get too sad about the weather, it will get better :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It should be fine off road, with maybe chunkier tyres added. Just like a flat barred cross bike, but with better brakes!

I would consider getting spd pedals rather than spd-SL - a lot easier to use in traffic in my experience so better for a commuting bike.

Carbon post shouldn't cost much - have a look on ebay, or Ribble / Probikekit etc. Just make sure you get the diameter right (apologies if that is stating the bleeding obvious :oops: )
  • no mate, i know nothing, so any advice is good!

cannot wait to get it now!