HOW MUCH? (weight!)

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited December 2009 in MTB general
the other day i weighed my rear wheel sans tyre and tube, i didnt however remove the cassette, it weighed in at .... 1800 G (aproxx) i know it had the cassette on, but you can get whole wheelsets that weigh that much, its not right, surely? how much does my cassette weigh? and if not, well, i feel some new wheels coming along...
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    what cassete have you got?
    or remove it and weigh it

and did you leavr the tube and tyre on aswelll?
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Being a GT it's more than likely got a SRAM cassette (or maybe a Deore), they are not really light weight, change to an XT, or XTR if you have cash to splash. That wheelset will be quite porky though as an XCR is quite a tuff style HT, plus you rarely get light wheels on complete bikes.
  • joshtp
    not sure about the casette, came with me bike, and it was weighed without tyre, tube...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • my old wheelset was much the same, rigida zac 2000, rear was 1800g and front 1200, good solid wheel set though, took a lot of abuse but was so heavy,
    i got the xero session free ride wheel set of woollyhatshop which at 2kg set were a lot lighter lol and have been very good! cant complain for £85!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Disc rotor on too? QR?!

Given that some cassettes can weigh 400g easily, a steel QR skewer 100g, and a disc rotor say 150g...

You can take 500g at least of what you weighed.
  • joshtp
    supersonic wrote:
    Disc rotor on too? QR?!

Given that some cassettes can weigh 400g easily, a steel QR skewer 100g, and a disc rotor say 150g...

You can take 500g at least of what you weighed.
    good thought! still seems heavy tho....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    1200g for a rear wheel ain't bad at all, especially one designed to be strong.

For example:

Shimano SLX rear on a 719 rim with PG spokes.

384g + 470g + 240g (est) + 30g for nipples = 1126g

Plus a bit more because they never come to what the individual bits weigh!