Best Turbo Trainer for £150 ?

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Evening all, its been a while since I have been here, however I have come asking for your help.

As the title really, whats the Best Turbo Trainer for £150 ?
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'd suggest not spending anywhere near that kind of money, unless you've already used a turbo regularly - it's quite possibly the most boring cycling possible.

I bought a Tacx Mag trainer from ebay two years ago for £30 bargain I thought, i'll use it whenever it rains, in reality I used half a dozen times in first year and a few more this year due to an injury.

In a word BORING

Ebay is you're friend Gaz
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I found all the cheap ones dont ride right. Theres little or no resistance. :?

I bought a Giant one that had been reduced to clear from Peter Hansfords, £120 at the time. Was ok, as IT says boring so used a portable DVD player infront of it to play vids and music.

I think now I would rather have a Wattbike. :P No tyres getting worn out either and a more comfortabke ride.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Yeah, I wouldn't spend that kinda money on one, unless you're absolutely sure you've got the dedication to use it.

I had one once, and it got used for about a week, and then sat unused for 2 years.
    Keep an eye out on the classifieds, look for fluid or magnetic resistance types for reduced noise (so you stand some sort of chance of comfortably watching TV at the same time).

Should be able to pick something fairly decent up for less than half that.
  • gb155
    I appreacite your comments about them being boring but I NEED to ride 7 days a week now, I hyave to fight for every single lbs I lose and having a disabled wife means I just cant get out at the weekends like before, this is my ONLY option , I think im going with a Tacx Satori High Power TBH

• Get into it Gaz, good stuff. It's easy to decide to shed the pounds when the sun starts to appear but the man who makes this decision at the beginning of winter... well, that man has steely determination. Ok, its not nearly as much fun as tearing down some welsh single track or dancing on the pedals towards the top of the Alps but if your looking to loose weight and don't want to be sharing sweat with the gym gorilla's this a pretty good option. I live in london and was training for the Transalp Challenge this year and due to the amount of miles I had to do I had no choice but to use a turbo trainer. I wasn't expecting to but I really enjoyed it. I was never under any illusion that it was just for anything else but fitness but boy did I shed some pounds, and my VO2 max skyrocketed. I used to do around 90-120 mins a session, 4-5- times a week and in 3 months I was really fit. I would suggest also getting the box set of The Wire, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers, e.t.c. otherwise it will become a bit (ok, goddamn insanely) tedious. Get hold of a decent HRM too so you track your progress and map and plan your sessions, getting involved in the science of it gets you more involved too. Between the Box sets and the HRM monitor you can easily find ways to enjoy your turboing, it is what you make it. I used a Gist Magnetic trainer on Bikeradar's recommendation and it's been great, check it out below.

Best of luck mate. :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... etic-28812
  • gb155
    warraxe wrote:
    Get into it Gaz, good stuff. It's easy to decide to shed the pounds when the sun starts to appear but the man who makes this decision at the beginning of winter... well, that man has steely determination. Ok, its not nearly as much fun as tearing down some welsh single track or dancing on the pedals towards the top of the Alps but if your looking to loose weight and don't want to be sharing sweat with the gym gorilla's this a pretty good option. I live in london and was training for the Transalp Challenge this year and due to the amount of miles I had to do I had no choice but to use a turbo trainer. I wasn't expecting to but I really enjoyed it. I was never under any illusion that it was just for anything else but fitness but boy did I shed some pounds, and my VO2 max skyrocketed. I used to do around 90-120 mins a session, 4-5- times a week and in 3 months I was really fit. I would suggest also getting the box set of The Wire, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers, e.t.c. otherwise it will become a bit (ok, goddamn insanely) tedious. Get hold of a decent HRM too so you track your progress and map and plan your sessions, getting involved in the science of it gets you more involved too. Between the Box sets and the HRM monitor you can easily find ways to enjoy your turboing, it is what you make it. I used a Gist Magnetic trainer on Bikeradar's recommendation and it's been great, check it out below.

Best of luck mate. :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... etic-28812

Cheers mate, Im only 1 stone away from my 20 stone target, a little over 18 months into cycle commuting, but this I feel will give me the extra I need, I WANT to ride 7 days, but sometimes home life doesnt allow, If I enjoy this then by next winter im getting a Virtual reality one that you plug into a PC :D

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    hey gaz, ask in the Buying advice roadie area. In this section most people are into hybrids and the like :lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • An ex Iron man/triathlete I know says that any turbo trainer which isn't made by Tacx will drive you and your neighbours mad with the noise.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    An ex Iron man/triathlete I know says that any turbo trainer which isn't made by Tacx will drive you and your neighbours mad with the noise.

Rubbish :roll:
    More problems but still living....
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Hi Gaz, the Tacx Satori seems to be pretty well rated in the roadie threads, so may be one to consider around your budget. :D
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Tacx_Satori_High_Power_Folding_Magnetic_Turbo_Trainer/5360026401/
    Cycling weakly
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    Cheers mate, Im only 1 stone away from my 20 stone target, a little over 18 months into cycle commuting, but this I feel will give me the extra I need, I WANT to ride 7 days, but sometimes home life doesnt allow, If I enjoy this then by next winter im getting a Virtual reality one that you plug into a PC :D

Top man. Well done.

My advice on TT? Do not need bells and whistles. In fact mine is stuck on '10' - I change how hard it is by changing gears. This has the advantage of :-

(1) one less thing to think about
    (2) after your one hour session (or whatever) distance covered equates to work done

Borrowed a mates all singing one. Waste of time - too much to think about.

But do get a heart rate monitor
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."