Trek 7.2 Brake Pads worn out in 1 month - is this normal?

mig.gentry
mig.gentry Posts: 2
edited December 2009 in The workshop
Hey all

I just purchased a brand new Trek 7.2fx and for the last month have been commuting through London to work on it.

The shop I bought it from provide a free 1 month service, so today I took it in.

It turns out that the reason my brakes have been feeling a little soft (alot actually) is that the brake pads (both sets) have completely worn out, in ONE MONTH!

The guy at the shop said that in this type of weather (that'll be winter!) there is an increase in wear. Whilst I can believe this, I don't believe that they should only last one month. Is this really going to cost me £20 a month in brake pads!

It's not a long commute, 6 miles each way, so maybe 200ish miles in a month (allowing for me taking the tube when the weather was really bad). I wouldn't say I'm particulalry harsh on the brakes, but there are alot of pedestrians etc.. in London.

Any comments, suggestion, ways I can reduce my wear?

M

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does seem excessive for 200 miles - but dirt can kill them quick. Some pads last better than others - have a look at Kool STop pads.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Yeah I've gone through a set of pads in 5-6 weeks, half of that wear was in one ride (60-odd miles) on a filthy drizzly day.

+1 for Kool Stops.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I've worn through a set in a week before. Did to a tad more than 200 miles in that week, mind.
  • Check the pads yourself. I had the same problem when i took my Trek back to the dealer for the free service. I told them not to bother with the pads, and i'd do it myself. Pads were fine though, the cables just needed tensioning. It's a free service so they need to get a little cash from you. I do 80 miles a week, and i change my pads every 4-6 months. It's an easy job.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Yup pads can easily wear out in these conditions and the factoory supplied ones might not be much cop anyway.

I change mine around every 3 months as i live on hilly roads or sooner if they need it.

Worth checking if they need a clean as well as if its really crappy i have seen gunk build up in the grooves and reduce effectiveness .
    FCN 3/5/9