Stockwell-Tooting dragstrip - contenders for the crown!

Citizen Smith
Citizen Smith Posts: 336
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I think there are a few of us who ride this patch and as much as DDD would like to think this is his road, I'm sure there are plenty of us who would counter this argument.

So out of curiosity, who else lays down a thick layer of awesome (or not as the case may be) on this stretch?

For ease of identification (against SCR rules I know), I ride a grey GT hybrid w/ barends, silver mudguards and pannier rack. I have a red Vaude rucksack & red helmet and my winter jacket is a black/white Wilier/Castelli job. I also have matching black Castelli gloves & overshoes (natch).

Oh and I go as far as Tooting Broadway and then I hanger left down Mitcham Rd for a short distance.
"Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sorry. Not me. My thick layer of awesome goes down on the Old Kent Road. Or at least it did until I got run over...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'll leave you underlings to battle it out like the common rabble you are.

Once one of you is worthy enough to stand out from the rest, or ride ahead as it were. I may slow down out of my Nirvana of freedom, which is the empty road ahead, and entertain you once more. Be sure in the knowing that this entertainment will end you and any joy you once had riding a bike.

So says DondaddyD.

DrDoom_Head.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I go down that way most days. I'm either on the red + black Univega roadie or grey Univega MTB ( keepin it in the family ) .

I tend to leave Tooting around 7:30 in the morning. Going back normally any time between 6:30 and 8pm.

Judging by the descriptions on here I think I've seen Cafewanda a few times but that's about it.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'll leave you underlings to battle it out like the common rabble you are.

I may slow down out of my Nirvana of freedom,
    So says DondaddyD.

Nirvana of Freedom - Is that the technical term for blowing up after riding 100 metres at 20 mph??
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I can't say I'm any kind of awesome between Balham and Stockwell given my inexperience, but I'm giving it my best shot (in a very slow, learning to crawl, kind of way :oops: ).

:D

In any event, everybody passes by me in a blur, even when they are pootling :(
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I ride that way from City as far as Balham (turn left onto Ritherdon Road a couple of hundred yards before Tooting Bec). There's a pic in my tag - bike is an old black Ridgeback MTB with slicks, Bianchi blue/green graphics. I'm usually in baggies, with tights on at the moment and usually a red or blue cycling jacket. I've been less than awesome of late, but am rediscovering some form. On a bad day you might catch me on the good bike, in which case you have no chance!
  • DonDaddyD
    MatHammond wrote:
    I ride that way from City as far as Balham (turn left onto Ritherdon Road a couple of hundred yards before Tooting Bec). There's a pic in my tag - bike is an old black Ridgeback MTB with slicks, Bianchi blue/green graphics. I'm usually in baggies, with tights on at the moment and usually a red or blue cycling jacket. I've been less than awesome of late, but am rediscovering some form. On a bad day you might catch me on the good bike, in which case you have no chance!

Hmph, you may cause me concern.

No matter...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

No matter...

Is that your way of throwing down the gauntlet? :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Cafewanda wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

No matter...

Is that your way of throwing down the gauntlet? :wink:

He's all out :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I do that way in and out too, ninja stylee clothing on a celeste bianchi.

Struggling for fitness at the moment :cry:
    FCN = 4
  • DonDaddyD
    On the 'drag strip' going from Tooting Bec to Balham

I hit 31.8mph

This a new top speed, beyond the previous 30.5 I achieved a few weeks back.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It was indeed fast this morning - I hit just under 30 on the stretch towards Clapham Common tube and I had a couple of gears to spare, didn't even realise I was shifting until I checked the speedo. Could mean pain tonight though...
  • Hmm, I to also use the "Drag Strip", depending on where I'm working that is so I'm not out on it daily.

Join (or exit in the evening) opposite the Waitrose and ride it along to Stockwell before turning off up South Lambeth Road.

Spotting me shouldn't be to difficult as I have a reflective skull with my FCN written on (discrete eh?) on my backpack, you might be able to spot it shortly after I overtake and disappear over the horizon :twisted:

I have meet DDD along there before a couple of times but haven't seen any other SCRers that I'm aware of. The "game" along there is much better then the A23 through Streatham/Brixton, hence I altered my routes a few months back :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5