Which panniers / rucksack combo....?

sportbilly1976
sportbilly1976 Posts: 524
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Ok,

Up until now I have always just used a shoulder bag for a change of clothes, but due to an increase in workload I am having to re-think my arrangement. Currently I have one bag over one shoulder and a laptop bag over the other (both over my head btw), but it is rather uncomfotable and probably unsafe.

so I'm looking to get some panniers for my work clothes and a rucksack to take my laptop in (it is a 15.4" screen & weighs a bit so i will have this on my back).

What do people recommend (from experience) as to me they all look much the same...

budget - not sure tbh but prob around £50-70 for the lot.....

thanks.

Comments

• I don't see why you would need panniers and a rucksack when panniers will do all of what you need. Quite a few modern panniers have built-in shoulder straps and will accomodate laptops easily. There are plenty to choose from. Get the loads off your back, you will sweat less.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • I have this pannier - expensive but REALLY good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Altura-Urban-Dr ... B000P1ROLM
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mugs
    mugs Posts: 46
    I can recommend the Altura Arran 36's, I got a set with my commuter and they swallow my laptop, charger, change of clothes, small load of shopping from Tescos, assorted tools and have room to spare. Seem very well made too and come in at ~£35 if you shop around (the slightly larger 46's are only about a fiver more, but I find the 36s plenty big enough).

I have a courier bag as well but since getting the panniers I never use it. Sometimes I'll put my stuff in it but then just shove the whole bag into a pannier anyway - means I can just take it out and walk into work with it, but it's definitely better to have panniers IMO.
  • BiggerBoat,

The reason for this is that I was under the impression that the vibration through the wheels to the bag would damage the laptop....

cheers for the info guys - will have a look at those mentioned.
  • by the way... this rack: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp? ... rc=froogle allows you to screw a Cateye LD1100 rear light into it. It's the one I have and find that facility very useful.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Ortlieb classic tourers - totally waterproof and pretty much bombproof. Well worth the cost. Can't imagine why you would want a bag on your back once the panniers are fitted. If you don't already have mudguards, the rear rack will help keep road juice off your ass.
  • cheers guys...

does carrying a laptop in these though damage the pc in any way due to the vibration / knocks coming through the wheel & frame from the surface / holes in the roads?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    cheers guys...

does carrying a laptop in these though damage the pc in any way due to the vibration / knocks coming through the wheel & frame from the surface / holes in the roads?

Probably not. If concerned you could buy a neoprene laptop cover (e.g. Crumpler)
  • I have been carrying my laptop in my rear ortlieb panniers virtually every day on my 11 mile each way commute for the past three months. Laptop has not been damaged at all. I recommend the ortliebs since they are completely waterproof (important for laptop) and even when I have been completely soaked from head to foot, the insides of the ortliebs have been completely dry.
  • Bear77
    Bear77 Posts: 60
    I used to use a Ortlieb office bag and it was superb. You can get a laptop insert for it.

http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/or ... -1338.html

pricey but worth it. Unfortunatley doesn't fit on my folder.
    The revolution will not be televised
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    I have had a set of Karrimors since 1986, still going strong, I also bought a set of Carradice when I bought a Hewitt a few years back, the Karrimors I used for touring and commuting, the Carradice for communting. Both recommended.

Do they still make Karrimor panniers?