What makes a 'Pro?'

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited December 2009 in Pro race
It is off season, so time to muse, but one thought that I want to share and air is:

'What makes a 'Pro?'

Is it:
1. Ego
2. Character
3. Bloody mindedness
4. Just talent and a combination of 1- 3 above?

For me, Hinault had all 4 qualities.

Who were/are your favourites under this heading, and why?
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cavendish definitely fits those criteria.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    NervexProf wrote:
    It is off season, so time to muse, but one thought that I want to share and air is:

'What makes a 'Pro?'

Is it:
    1. Ego
    2. Character
    3. Bloody mindedness
    4. Just talent and a combination of 1- 3 above?

For me, Hinault had all 4 qualities.

Who were/are your favourites under this heading, and why?

Definately talent without that then you will never be a Pro. Mix in the different levels of talent with determination and effort and phsyical ability and you have the succesful pro. As far as ego goes dont think that matters to much as there are good examples of succesful egotistical cyclist and less so.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    - Self-discipline to get riding almost every day and keep a good diet.
    - Ability to suffer, ride through the pain barrier and enjoy it.
    - Bike control
    - Power, obviously
    - Knowledge of tactics and other riders.
    - Also, It helps if you follow the rules too. ;)
  • A pro licence...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • A good doctor :wink:

:P
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • NervexProf
    Thanks for replies to date - it strikes me that a Pro has but a 10 year career, and that, ironically, those 10 years will define his whole life, warts 'n all!

What we often forget, I think, is the tempo, intensity of media concentration that Pro's face today- instance Pantani, Lemond, and no less Lance Armstrong.

It is no wonder that depression is a factor in ending what at one time seemed a fabled career.

Seems a very tough life-style to me!
  • NervexProf wrote:
    Thanks for replies to date - it strikes me that a Pro has but a 10 year career, and that, ironically, those 10 years will define his whole life, warts 'n all!

What we often forget, I think, is the tempo, intensity of media concentration that Pro's face today- instance Pantani, Lemond, and no less Lance Armstrong.

It is no wonder that depression is a factor in ending what at one time seemed a fabled career.

You've just hit the nail on the head about why pro's have doped
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    NervexProf wrote:

But it isn't just seasoned veterans who dope. What is the average career length for a moderately talented pro? Maybe four or five years? They dope too. Look at that guy who just got a 20 year ban... he was a neo-pro!
  • NervexProf
    afx237vi wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:

But it isn't just seasoned veterans who dope. What is the average career length for a moderately talented pro? Maybe four or five years? They dope too. Look at that guy who just got a 20 year ban... he was a neo-pro!

afx - I would rather we kept off the doping issue on this topic, if you don;t mind?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    NervexProf wrote:
    afx - I would rather we kept off the doping issue on this topic, if you don;t mind?

No problem.

As for your question, I think that if you get paid to ride a bike, then you can call yourself a pro :wink:

I think the characteristics you mentioned are good to describe patrons like Hinault or Voigt, but I think I have just as much admiration for the lesser guys too... the ones who slog around Belgium riding for not much money in a Topsport Vlaanderen jersey. Guts not glory!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I thought PRO was about money. :wink::wink:
  • NervexProf
    afx237vi wrote:
    NervexProf wrote:

No problem.

As for your question, I think that if you get paid to ride a bike, then you can call yourself a pro :wink:

I think the characteristics you mentioned are good to describe patrons like Hinault or Voigt, but I think I have just as much admiration for the lesser guys too... the ones who slog around Belgium riding for not much money in a Topsport Vlaanderen jersey. Guts not glory!

Many thanks afx - I agree with your thoughts, notably in the case of Voigt.

It is easy to forget that the peleton comprises of so many guts and glory guys, many who will never be rich, or famous, but cyclists of an extra-ordinary character, nonetheless.
  • NervexProf
    Musing a little further, noting replies - I recall the famous Luis Ocana v Eddy Merckx battle in 1971 - see here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc5te542 ... re=related

This reflects, perhaps more dramatically then, than today, the raw, pure suffering of great talents, battling against each other over many stages.

My view is that this is no longer so today - too much science, team radios and playing the averages!

I could be wrong though, am I ?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    a real pro will be on a salary you can live on and put savings away from, progression year on year on the salary scale, absolutely no bike and jersey only teams.., a pension provided by the team? Given many of them get made redudant at 32 or 35 and have little back up plan, real pro teams should likely push older riders to pay into something that will help them post cycling when their career comes to an end financial planning/post racing career planning, e.g. further education, open uni or whatever, make sure the person will not be without skills and means to survive away from the pro bike world.