Avid Elixir 5 185/160

Mad Max
Mad Max Posts: 124
edited December 2009 in MTB general
A Friend of mine has just purchased a Orange crush with the Avid Elixir 5 fitted as standard on the 2010.
He has had the bike about two months and has ridden most weekends. The problem is that he told me the brakes performance was that bad that he had to buy a sett of new pads.( I thought this was very strange) Then about two weeks ago he has had to buy a second pair, Thats three setts of pads in about two months. :shock:
Surely this cant be normal winter wear.

What the hell is going on :? :? :? :?

I have been running Juicy threes for a couple of months longer and the power is increasing.
Please can some one shed some light on this for me. :oops:
RETRO IS THE FUTURE.

Comments

• where is he riding?

Is he actually bedding them in properly?

My elixirs are still on their first pads after several months
  • I have some of the brakes but not fitted them as yet. I had the same problem with the R versions but only on the back. Two lots of pads in the space of two moonths and just on the back. It might be they need alinging. I have been told Avid brakes do not need bleeding hardly.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why is he changing the pads?

is he contaminating them?
    wearing them out?

Or....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mad Max
    nicklouse wrote:
    why is he changing the pads?

is he contaminating them?
    wearing them out?

Or....

He is wearing them down. I know the weather has been bad but that is taking the p*ss.

I also thought that Avids are a fit and forgett brake.
    RETRO IS THE FUTURE.
  • okay, what pads and is he bedding them in
  • Organic or inorganic pads? Avid or 3rd party pads? (EBC/Superstar etc..)
  • Mad Max
    It has got to be a bedding in problem. I have advised him to get the brakes very hot and then cool them down quikly with water.
    RETRO IS THE FUTURE.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've fitted pads on the trail on my Juicys before in wet weather and trashed them in 10/12 miles.Its the bedding in that helps longevity.