CO2 inflator question

pst88
pst88 Posts: 621
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I have a C02 inflater with a valve to control how fast the gas comes out and inflates the tyre. This is the first time I've used it so I screwed it on my tyre valve, opened the inflator valve and inflated the tyre then stopped the flow when I felt like it was at the right pressure. Now I probably have half a cannister left still attached to the inflater. My question is is it OK to leave this cannister attach to the inflater for next time I want it? Once you pierce the cannister are you supposed to use it all at once? Is there a risk it'll explode in my bag?
Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I tend to use pretty much a whole canister and that's on 700x23's... that should get you to around 100psi. You will need to top up with a track pump soon anyway.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Its fine to store it in your bag
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    by now the gas will have escaped form the open cannister. generaly they are one shot jobs. ( you might get lucky and get another top up later in hte ride if you need it.) as for exploding in your bag its not a risk.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Thanks for the replies everyone! All the gas has gone now cos I was dicking about with the little bit left in. I probably would've used a whole cannister if I'd started from a fully deflated tyre but I actually started it with a minipump, realised I wasn't getting anywhere then switched to C02 to finish it off. Lets hope I don't need to top up the tyre on my way home! I was impressed at how fast it actually inflated the tyre though. Certainly is an expensive way to fill a tyre but it beats using a mini pump!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • il_principe
    edited December 2009
    pst88 wrote:
    tyre on my way home! I was impressed at how fast it actually inflated the tyre though. Certainly is an expensive way to fill a tyre but it beats using a mini pump!

Well they can be found fairly cheaply
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    pst88 wrote:
    tyre on my way home! I was impressed at how fast it actually inflated the tyre though. Certainly is an expensive way to fill a tyre but it beats using a mini pump!

Well posted on that link! That's where I get my replacements.

And yes I'd leave a half-used cannister in my bag too.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Which inflator would you recommend, or are they all much of a muchness?
  • I have the Genuine Innovations AirChuck SL:

airchuck-sl.jpg

And it's not bad at all (plus it's tiny and light).
  • il_principe
    I have the Genuine Innovations AirChuck SL:

And it's not bad at all (plus it's tiny and light).

+1 for the Airchuck.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Shame they don't use Helium for refill bulbs. At least you could have some fun with the dregs in the cannister :D
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Thanks for the recommendations. Airchuck SL purchased from Tredz.co.uk for £14.44 and free postage. Job is a good 'un.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    amnezia wrote:

But, according to my Giant CO2 Inflator instructions, you are not supposed to leave it there for long. Apparently the CO2 powder will harden the rubber seal and the inflator will leak.
  • skins2
    skins2 Posts: 78
    fnegroni wrote:
    amnezia wrote:

But, according to my Giant CO2 Inflator instructions, you are not supposed to leave it there for long. Apparently the CO2 powder will harden the rubber seal and the inflator will leak.

What is CO2 powder?

The refill cartridges in that link can they *really* not be used for Innovations inflators or do they fit OK? I need non-threaded ones.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    pst88 wrote:

Cheers for link, just ordered 30!! That should cover all of 2010!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • pst88 wrote:

Cheers for link, just ordered 30!! That should cover all of 2010!!

i've got 10 and thus far in two years I've had one fairy visit.....
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Skins2 wrote:
    fnegroni wrote:
    amnezia wrote:

What is CO2 powder?

Co2 powder, aka Dry Ice.

This snippet of information (from the Genuine Innovations website) might help understand why:
    As the liquid CO2 is ejected from the cartridge, it 'boils' and changes phase into its gaseous state. As more and more liquid boils down, the vapor pressure remains constant until the liquid is boiled off. After this time, the vapor pressure drops precipitously until all the gas is discharged from the cylinder.

Generally, during actuation of CO2 gas delivery systems, if the gas is discharged with the cylinder in the 'up' position, only gas is dispelled from the cartridge. However, if the gas is discharged with the cylinder in the 'down' position, and with gravity affecting the liquid CO2, along with the gas being dispelled, some liquid CO2 is also ejected. This liquid CO2 instantly turns to dry ice, sublimating quickly into a gaseous state. This property of actuation is useful in some applications where increased gas pressure is desired.

The problem mentioned by Giant might be due to the fact that once the canister is pierced, liquid CO2 might escape the canister, sublimating into dry ice at the point of seal. In the long term this constant stream of dry ice might harden the seal, rendering it useless.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    So are cannisters supposed to be produced to a standard? I've got an SKS jobby and some unbranded threaded cartridges, only the thread on the cartridges must be longer than allowed for by the inflator as it was nigh on impossible to get the cannister to pierce.