Spectating a Grand Tour

G-Bod
G-Bod Posts: 8
edited December 2009 in Pro race
I'm planning on going to watch a couple of mountain stages of next years Giro, I've never been to watch any of the Grand Tours before. Ccould anyone pass on advice ie what time the roads close, is it actually possible to take a car up the various passes and park on the side of the road, if not, is there public transport to get up the (unfortunately I wont be taking my bike)

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks in advance

G-Bod

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In many cases you can drive up the mountain in advance, but the most popular climbs can have every available space taken up by camper vans days before and it can take many hours after the stage to get back down. The routes are generally closed to traffic from the morning of the event - there's often no public transport and your best choice is to ride or walk like everyone else. If you are most specific about what climbs your are interested in people can relay their own experiences - weekend and 'queen' stages tend to be very popular.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • G-Bod
    Thanks Monty,

I'm planning on watching stage 16 the mountain TT which I imagine will get really busy and the following days stage, these are on a Tuesday and wednesday I believe!
  • I went to see the stage on the Kronplatz/Plan de Corones in 2006 when it was shortened because of snow. Didn't see anything, was very disappointing! I was staying in Brunico, which is on the other side of the mountain to the climb and there is a cable car from there (Brunico) to the top of the Kronplatz climb. Should be running on the day of the stage, that's how I got to the top of the climb. Great way to get to the stage!

Not sure about the following stages, but if you stay in Brunico you'll get to see the following stage start. Maybe worth going to see, the Giro stage starts are much more relaxed than at the Tour, great for photos and autographs!
  • G-Bod
    Thanks Greased!! thats really useful information....looks like Brunico would be ideal for what I need!!
  • No worries, hopefully you'll have more luck than me when I was there!

Was thinking of going to the Giro myself, it's that or the Giro, maybe I'll see you there!

And don't forget to post the photos when you get back...