Cycling plans for the 2012 Olympics.

number9
number9 Posts: 440
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Exciting stuff:

http://www.jubileegreenway.org.uk/news/ ... e-greenway

http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?sec ... 140461&c=1

Greenway makeover by Arup and Adams & Sutherland will provide 2.3km route to Olympic park

Construction work has started on a multimillion-pound cycle and walking path that will link the Olympic park to West Ham station and Victoria Park.

Olympic organisers said the upgrade of a 2.3km stretch of the Greenway, designed by architect Adams & Sutherland with Arup, would include a wider path, new signage, seating and better access points.

Materials recycled from the Olympic park, such as bricks and drain covers, will be used in the construction process. Contractor Volker Fitzpatrick will carry out the work.

Olympic Delivery Authority chief executive David Higgins said: “These improvements will open up this important walking and cycling path to thousands more people before, during and after the London 2012 Games.

“Wildflowers and native bushes and trees along the Greenway will also create new habitats for wildlife and create a greener space for people.”

Comments

• Looks like a waste of money for the Greenway bit. The path is very wide all the way along. The image of how it will look shows a gravel strip separating the pedestrians from the cycle path. So pedestrians will be able to walk on the cycle half, but bikes won't be able to easily cross to the pedestrian side if there are people in the way.
  • number9
    Looks like a waste of money for the Greenway bit. The path is very wide all the way along. The image of how it will look shows a gravel strip separating the pedestrians from the cycle path. So pedestrians will be able to walk on the cycle half, but bikes won't be able to easily cross to the pedestrian side if there are people in the way.

Largest park in Europe for 150 years.

World-class architecture, Hadid's aquatic centre is shaped like someone doing the butterfly stroke!

The largest building site in Europe, £130 million pounds a month supporting the 7000 workers and unprecedented construction of the Olympic Park and Stratford City, next to Stratford International Station (1 hour 40 minutes to Paris).

40 hectares ( I think that's about 80 acres) of parkland, meadows and waterside planting, three hundred thousand reeds, sedges and wildflowers get planted next spring.

The wholescale decontamination of an area of East London that used to be a toilet of breakers' yards and fridge mountains.

A shift in the gravity of the capital, the biggest thing to hit East London since the Luftwaffe.

A chance for British cyclists to shine in the greatest sporting event in the world.

Local resident Mr Cellophane comments:

"It's going to be sh1t on toast, I don't know why we're bothering".
  • number9
    Pics here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 196&page=2

That's the Northern Sewage Outfall. Guarded by ex-Gurkhas because it's within the OP.
  • number9 wrote:
    Local resident Mr Cellophane comments:

"It's going to be sh1t on toast, I don't know why we're bothering".

Have you ever been along the Greenway ?

Greenway_upgraded_path.jpg

This picture is no wider than the existing path. It looks a worse facility than exists at present.

Sh1t on toast - I have been in all three of the pipes that comprise the NOS and I can assure you that you would not want to have anything that you feel brushing past your legs on toast.
  • number9
    And the baby's not wearing a helmet.

Fair play Mr, I haven't used the Greenway, but the cycling links look pretty good from Victoria Park and the North East. I think Boris's Super Highway links up too. Is that a proper picture of how it will be? It's a bit crap, the idea was stick a compass in the OP and draw a , what, 5 mile diameter circle? That's got to a 3 million people living in a cycleable distance.