Best / Toughest MTB Ride of 2009

boneyjoe
boneyjoe Posts: 369
edited December 2009 in XC and Enduro
Just curious to find out what sort of riding / events other people have been getting out to and enjoying this year.

I did the Isle of Man End2End in Sept - 65km with about 1350m of climbing. Really enjoyed it, but was struck by horrid cramp in the last 1/4 of the race. Final result, 207 out of about 850. Would love to go back with a bit more training and try improve on that.

Also did the Southern XC series, which was fun, though this year 4 of the 6 rounds were made really tough by torrential downpours the night before and on the day. Favourite course was Pippingford (in the dry!), though others were also very good.

I'm sure some do these events week in and week out, but are there any particular favourites? Alternatively, are there any epic rides you've done this year that really stand out? Keen to see what I've been missing / start making plans for next year! :)
Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)

Comments

• rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i did the beast of brecon that was quite enduring.
    i missed the start by 12 minutes got a bit lost before finding my way, i had the extra motivation of calving through the pack, not sure where i finished (it took 3hrs 38 for me to do the 62km), but i didnt have much power left to attack over the last 15 minutes due to expending too much energy on a certain 'the gap' climb
    ile be back to do it again next year, but probably on a lighter faster bike, i.e my hardtail!
    i also did the Brechfa long enduro-was amazing 4 hours or so
    and the forrest of dean 2 lap enduro-was great fun overtakin ppl on the decents, that one took about 1 hr 56

im hoping to be much fitter for next summer and will do some more races, last year was my 1st full year mountain biking, i understand the fitness side of it much better now and have developed much better endurance so i should be much faster i hope lol
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    for me the crickhowell merida probably. did the long course and the conditions were s*ite!! had no brakes for the last 30km. bolloxed by the end, but good fun.
    8)
    rhyko - did the beast last year and and loved it, we were lucky enough for a dry day and trails. how were the conditions this year?

boneyjoe - quite fancy the isle of man one, how much about is the crossing?
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Gaz, best to check out the ferry prices direct, and I think the End2End website might have a special "Ferry + B&B" deal for that weekend. I took the car on the ferry + 2 family members, and worked out about £190, but I'm sure there are cheaper options if you investigate.
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i was really lucky with the weather, it was a perfect day for it, it hadnt rained for over a week so everything was running quite fast. may do it again next year but the longer ecvent on my HT if its working
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    Boneyjoe- cheers for that, will check it out mate
    Rhyko7 - that was a result, can't beat them trails when dry. did the long one last year on an anthem, did you use the trance this year?
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • Hard to say the year has been filled with tough enduros across UK. But If i had pick one it would most likely be the Brass Monkeys series #1. Four grueling hours and 55 kms of knee deep mud rain and hail... My bike was fooked by the end and so was I :x My kit alone weighed 5.5kg... yes i weighed it when i got home, sad but true!
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.
  • The Maxx Exposure 80 mile night enduro ride accross the South Downs. There is somthing amazing about racing through villages in the middle of the night. It was my best cycling experience by some way.

It took an awful lot of Sunday morning training miles to get fit for it and I was rewarded with perfect weather and ground conditions.