Who remember's Panaracer Dirt . Smoke .. Tyres

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited December 2009 in MTB general
I remember the days when those tyres were the In thing during the early days of MBT 's

Anyone else remember them ?

Comments

• Indeed I do
    :D

You may be interested to know that you can still buy them - Panaracer now call them "classic"
    I have a set on my HT - they are as good as I remember.
    "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Wasn't it 'Dart' and Smoke?

But with regard to front/rear specific tyres, did the Panaracer combo come before or after the Equilibrium and Propulsion tyres that were fitted to Konas at around the same time?

And did anyone else ever own a set of white Onza Porcupines?
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    AndyOgy wrote:
    Wasn't it 'Dart' and Smoke??

And did anyone else ever own a set of white Onza Porcupines?

^this and yes, respectively. but boy that was a long time ago!

My first cannondale came with Smokes back and front :shock: . It was good that they intro'd the Dart, the smoke was a bloody dangerous front tyre!

porcs were great but lasted about 2 weeks on the wrong surfaces
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    butterscotch tioga psychos were grippy as hell but last about 3 minutes
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • they were reissued last year. don't know if you can still get em tho..
  • Dart on the front and smoke on the rear, ah the old days....

also used Porcupines, but they were 'fragile' on tarmac

How about Girvin stems and forks then?
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Wasn't it Girvin who made the Flex Stem?
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    they were reissued last year. don't know if you can still get em tho..

Yes you can - I bought some in the summer...
    "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Tempestas wrote:
    How about Girvin stems and forks then?
    My Proflex 856 has Girvin forks and up until a few years ago it was sporting a pair of green Michelin Wildgrippers :shock: :)
    proflexoct08sui4.jpg
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Two Smokes, one dart, two lightly used porcs and two porcs still in their box just behind me as I write!

Black porcs unfortunately, never tried the white. Wouldn't ride anything but a Smoke lite/Dart combo back in the day.

[/misty eyed gush]

'Course we had no concept of 'rolling resistance' :lol:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • elPedro666
    hehe
    You lot need to get over to retrobike...
    :wink:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i used my smoke and darts till a few ayears ago, they were sat in the garage for years and then i put them on the maxlight to get it rolling :) dart is still the garage actually smoke has died :( awesome tyres, they are truly missed
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    speaking of retro anyone remember shark fins??? :lol: my dads old univega has one

now thats retro!!!
  • AndyOgy wrote:
    Wasn't it Girvin who made the Flex Stem?

Yep, that's the one...who needs 120mm of travel anyway, that's what your wrists are for :wink:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I had a green tinged dart 2 given to me at bike 98(?) best front tire I ever had for tracking, not so hot for braking but I was a kid then and skidded everywhere anyway. I locked it up in the snow once, the front slid in a perfectly straight line, excellent.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • anyone remember Tioga Farmer John tires? (tomac)

and "Cosmic Trail" fluro frame pads and shoulder bag!
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • anyone remember Tioga Farmer John tires? (tomac)

and "Cosmic Trail" fluro frame pads and shoulder bag!

When I first go into MTBs, it used be Tioga Factory DH and Factory Mud that used to be the tyre to have, I think just because they had Tioga in massive white writing on the side.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    elPedro666 wrote:
    Two Smokes, one dart, two lightly used porcs and two porcs still in their box just behind me as I write!

Black porcs unfortunately, never tried the white. Wouldn't ride anything but a Smoke lite/Dart combo back in the day.

[/misty eyed gush]

I used to run a Porc up fornt and a Smoke Lite at the rear on my Bontrager. Heck of a combination.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • The one that springs to mind is the Raleigh Extreme from cyclelife.com as it has a similar pattern to the old Michelin Bibcross-remember those?
  • In answer to a question up there ^^^ Kona started fitting Equalibrium and Propultion tyres in 1990 - Panaracers Smoke came out a year or two later, then the Dart a year or two after that. So from my memory, Kona were the first guys to sell a front /rear specific pairing.
  • i still got some ,2 of each, 2 had white walls- cant remember which 2
    i'll get them out and take a look
    i have loads of bikes, bits etc :lol:
  • god, been bugging me had to go and have a look
    yep panaracer fire xc pro 2.6 x 1.8 kevlar in all black x2
    and panaracer smoke lite 2.6 x 1.9 - not sure what you call them but not white walled more honey coloured x2
    cant remember when i bought them but seriously retro - not last years release but original :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I had smoke/dart on my old Carrera, annoyingly I threw them out last year, just thought "These are ancient, they'll be rubbish" without knowing they were a Retro Classic (TM). They were amazing in the day, when everyone else at school had full-centre skinny rubbish. One poor guy had those solid tyres, Green Wellies was it? The ones that you couldn't puncture (hurrah) but compensated by falling off the rims if you cornered too hard.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tri-sexual wrote:
    god, been bugging me had to go and have a look
    yep panaracer fire xc pro 2.6 x 1.8 kevlar in all black x2
    and panaracer smoke lite 2.6 x 1.9 - not sure what you call them but not white walled more honey coloured x2
    cant remember when i bought them but seriously retro - not last years release but original :)

Think they were referred to as "Gum wall."

Anyone have any Onza Dan & Daves, they were awesome, you could just tank it into any corner and they'd rail round.
  • elPedro666
    dave_hill wrote:
    elPedro666 wrote:

[/misty eyed gush]

I used to run a Porc up fornt and a Smoke Lite at the rear on my Bontrager. Heck of a combination.

Seriously Dave, did that work? Didn't the Porc squirm around all over the place while the Smoke just stuck till the bitter end? I'd rather have that working the other way round (front stuck, back mobile)!

I probably shouldn't start a tyre debate on near twenty year old rubber though... :roll: :lol:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    "What tyres for riding in the past?"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Vegman
    Vegman Posts: 35
    reluctant wrote:
    In answer to a question up there ^^^ Kona started fitting Equalibrium and Propultion tyres in 1990 - Panaracers Smoke came out a year or two later, then the Dart a year or two after that. So from my memory, Kona were the first guys to sell a front /rear specific pairing.
    Hey, I had those Joe Murrey inspired tyres, completely unsuited to UK riding unless we were having a 'California' summer, if my memory serves me (and it dose).
    Still got the Kona Hahana they came on as a hack bike,(well its a bit like Triggers broom in Only Fools and Horses five new heads and three new handles :lol: ) complete with a 'Butler Cycles' sticker. (Who are now the mighty WIGGLE).
    A bike..in my garage.....I MUST tinker.