Mounting a rear light on the helmet

iain_j
iain_j Posts: 1,941
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I upgraded one of my Cateye rear lights (the basic 3-led ten quid type) to a Blackburn Mars, so now I've got a spare light ... the more the merrier ... how would I go about mounting it on the back of my Giro Indicator helmet? Would it be a bodge job with cable ties/rubber bands or are there brackets available?

Rear view of the helmet...

18515girorb_alt2.jpg

Comments

• I've not seen a rear helmet mount, most of the helmet lights are velcro strapped to the top.. These are quite cool.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I fitted a front light to mine using half a dozen black cable ties. It doesn't look like a bodge; the black ties are camouflaged by the black of the helmet. It's very secure too.
  • jobysp
    jobysp Posts: 68
    I use a large cable tie across the back of my helmet and clip a Blackburn Mars 3 onto it. works a treat.

helmet.jpg
    My cycle blog at www.biking2work.co.uk and check out www.fightbaddriving.co.uk.
  • BiggerBoat
    BiggerBoat Posts: 168
    edited December 2009
    +1 for big f-off cable tie. Here's my brain bucket. I also put a cateye on the front left to increase side vis. I like the idea of helmet lights, they are higher up, easier to see and protect the rider when off the bike.

Helmet-795359.jpg
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • jobysp
    Quite like the idea of side mounting lights... Now I'm gonna have to spend more money!!!
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    edited December 2009
    im never happy strapping a light to the helm. Its just adding to stuff to smack in to your cranium in a crash. I would go for light on your back or on your bag if you are wanting more lights thank you can fit on your bike. ( and to give a differing position. )

http://www.theglowcompany.co.uk/acatalo ... _VEST.html

edit: though this looks good

http://www.theglowcompany.co.uk/acatalo ... LMETMARKER
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • My pic didn't go up, booger. Oh well, must be doing something wrong as usual. My side light is a Cateye SL LD 100 £8 from wiggle.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • jobysp
    BiggerBoat - its because your initial Image tag is [\img] instead of [img][/img]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd just go for reflective tape liberally applied to the helmet - lights work better if they are angled correctly and yours will be angled all over the place.

Fix the light onto the bike and you have more choice in where it is pointing, plus less chance of the damaging your head with the light in a spill ?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I've got 2 already on the back of my bike, soon to be 3, but I like the idea of having one high up as well on the back of my head - the only place I could put one on my (winter) jacket is the collar and that would irritate the hell out of me.

I'll investigate the mega cable tie method.
  • I have conducted my own little tests with a rear helmet light (Smart 1/2 watt on flashing). I watched how much space I was given with the light off vs. light on over several days. It was very clear that I was given more room with it on. On the bike I have a LD110 on constant (better to estimate distance apparently). I have noticed that bike mounted rear lights are the same colour and height to a cars rear lights, and in some instances they could be mistaken. I have found the additional height a helmet light brings pulls the eyes up and gets you noticed. A driver pulled up to me the other day and actually commented on how visible I was.

As for crashes, a Smart will break up to insignificance if struck, I can't really see an issue with it. If you have a backpack (I'm a pannier man) it may be a better mounting option for you. As for angle, this light can be seen from just about any angle and the fact that your head moves slightly as you ride can only be helpful.

It must be said, this works for my commute (not London). Results may vary!
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • jobysp
    I agree with you BiggerBoat.

Here's a youtube clip of the back of me in the dark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXgCEdnNSx8

Funnily enough - I still "don't get seen" by cars despite having lights at 4 levels :)
  • I like the vid Jobysp, looks like a mobile christmas tree. :shock: Unfortunately crashes happen, how often to cars hit each other? Quite often, and they are big and shiny and full of powerful lights. Go figure!

Where I commute, we are supposedly getting one of these Sustrans "path in a muddy field leisure" things put in to get us off the road. I'm not holding my breath!
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • jorhys
    jorhys Posts: 37
    Cable ties definitely work - you will need several for the perfect fit.
  • Helmet lights are the most visible I have noticed - when I am on the scooter.

I tried putting a light on the helmet but the wife nearly choked to death... :oops:
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • some abus helmets have one built into the adjustment wheel, really neat idea!

The best helmet rear light is the exposure one that piggybacks on the helmet mounted front light, insanely bright!
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    some abus helmets have one built into the adjustment wheel, really neat idea!

I've got one of those!

It is a good idea and fits neatly in but the light itself is pathetic, it's just 2 little LEDs with not a lot of power.
    Also, because it's quite low down on the adjuster strap bit, it gets easily blocked when I wear a rucksack.

I'm looking to get a Smart 1/2 watt to mount a bit higher up on the back of it.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Picked up a little flasher from tesco thats ok for £3 ,even comes with a velcro strap .

On top of that i run a smart lunar and standard smart flasher + 2 more cheap lights on the pannier clips.

Over took a guy with a real cheap rear light on that you couldn't even see till you were about 10 feet behind him so i had a nice chat and he took it very nicely and said he was off to get better ones .

Chain reaction had a sale on lats week
    picked up 2 of these for £5 each

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=14821
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Try using cable ties or buy the helmet lights from Argos [if available] or try Knogs
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    This is my hat light +reflectives

photo0047ju.jpg

Cheap camera phone so not good quality but you get the idea
    FCN 3/5/9
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    You can also get lights from Tesco's for about £4 that have a bit of elastic to put them on with that you can use for this and for the money are not bad at all.
    They come in as a red and white pair.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    cougie wrote:
    I'd just go for reflective tape liberally applied to the helmet - lights work better if they are angled correctly and yours will be angled all over the place.

Totally disagree, the fact that a rear helmet light will be moving will be far more effective (used as a secondary light) than a fixed red light amongst the hundreds of other red lights on vehicles.

I have a number of rear helmet lights, fixed with either an elasticised reflective helmet band (from Wiggle) or on a wide cable tie.

There are, IMO, the most effective safety feature you can have.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png