XXL or Larger bike clothing?

privacy121
privacy121 Posts: 7
edited September 2015 in MTB general
Happy to admit I'm rather on the, ahem, larger side....
Even once I lose the 5 stone I'm carrying by mountain biking, gym and long walks I'm still a "big" frame i.e. broad shoulders. I lost 5 stone about 5 years ago but I still generally needed XXL T's, etc.
Can anyone recommend the best manufacturers that come up "big" and where do I buy from?
Any help greatly appreciated to get this fat arse moving - mainly after waterproof jkt and trs.......
Thanks

Comments

• some of the motorcross tops may be worth looking at, got a mate on the large side who wears some Thor gear - thats quality stuff. made to fit pads underneath if needed so plenty of room and usually cut for cycling so looks good too!
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    DHB shorts from Wiggle are available in big sizes
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    How about clothes for tall skinny people? Everything bike-related seems to be sized only in one dimension, e.g. Medium, and they assume you're sort of square (waist at least as big as your inside leg).

I have two pairs of "3/4 length shorts" which are 5/8 length at best - barely past my knee. And tops are always either way too baggy or too short...
  • cheers all
    do dhb come up pretty big then as also need the jkt
    am determined not to wimp out in the rain but would like to start with some protection.....
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    ahhhhh, one of my favourite complaints about biking........ Clothing Sizes.

I'm 6ft 5 tall and carrying a bit of additional bulk. For most clothing manufacturers, not just bikewear, Bigger just means WIDER.

For bikewear in particular, I have never before seen such a difference in sizing from one manufacturer to another. My best advice would be to find a particularly well stocked bike shop and try on as much stuff as you can get away with or if you're in a position to, order loads of items online and send back everything that doesn't fit. You'll find that the same type of clothing in an XL from one manufacturer will be an XXXL from another but saying that, a lot of bike clothing manufacturers think all cyclists are slim, well toned, fit people, which is why I can't fasten the Endura shorts I bought a couple of years ago even though I ordered the biggest size they make, and I'm only a 38 waist!!!!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Try Polaris, I have this one and it's very good with some neat touches.
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/110884.html
  • I have the same issue that most clothes come up on the small side for me over weight and naturally chunky even when at my best weight,
    Legs and hands are my bigest issue, my thights look like Chris Hoys but hairy and about 1/100th of the power!
    I find many size labels in cycle clothes are very missleading.
    I genealy can get into Endura XXL
    I would recomend you try before you buy
  • Craghoppers Kiwi trousers are perfect for cycling though would tie a lace around the leg to be on the safe side Wynnster do leggings with a velcre strap so do not flap about though use the lace to be safe These are waterproof, windproof and breathable
  • Hadaka
    Hadaka Posts: 68
    I have just brought an Altura Night Vision Jacket in XXXL and it fits a treat. Normal xxl or even some xxxl just dont fit, but this jacket is great.
  • Iv had this problem for years many manufactures just don't seem to supply for the bigger boned gentleman, but i did recently find that JE James Cycles now have funkier clothing in 5Xl sizing i have a 51" chest i the funkier jersey fits perfectly.
    I just want my cycle clothing to be stylist and not with huge slogans and the Funkier stuff offers that more pro style, and at a fraction of the cost of Moa and Castelli that i can't fit into!

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/funkier-bp1.html
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Also being the long side of 6 foot, I have found anything bike related a nightmare; frames/clothing.

I have found that if you call Prendas Ciclismo and Tredz and explain your size to the staff they generally seem to know their stock quite well; and will go on to tell you that this or that particular product line has been cut slightly larger.

Whilst it is a PITA , it has been the best way for me.

The reality is, cycling does not seem to be a sport cattered for by people over 6ft
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    ive just bought a thor top, it is gigantic and i reckon would fit even the chunkiest of rider!

the fabric feels thicker than the royal and 661 or endura tops i have tried before but still good quality and decent fit.
  • I think Endura do some XXL and XXXL clothing but you need to order it through your LBS that deals with them,a guy who i know at work is about 6'2" and 18-19st this is how he gets his
  • stay away from Italian brands; I had to get a 7(!)XL jersey to fit my (at the time) 48" chest - and it was not only very tight but still too short too

I find some of the 661 stuff comes up big so 'just' an XL with them