pain down the back of my right leg. Help

Paulkingk
Paulkingk Posts: 689
Hi i suffer from a pain which runs down the back of my right leg sometimes to my ankle have suffered with this for a few years now. I'm 27 and resonably fit have always done at least 3hrs a week on the bike. Was off the bike most of this summer due to a broken wrist. and have just started getting back into it.
I have visited doctors had xrays and physio and nothing seems to work. as far as i know it's not sciatica. does anyone else have a similar prob any ideas i'm getting really desperate.

Comments

• rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    get your back checked out, i had a mate with a similar problem, he had it for months, he happened to be getting Xrayed for something else and mentioned this problem and they checked out his back to find he had slipped a disc.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    I had pain in my ankle, the outer aspect of my calf and the back of my leg. Eventually I could hardly walk. Turned out to be a slipped disc, taken me about a year to get over it and I'm just back into the riding now.
    May be the same thing. Get a physio to have a look at it.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    My Bro had the same they had to shave a part of his back/spine/disc to stop it pinching a nerve that was causing him realy bad pain in his leg !
  • I have had some x rays and they have not shown anything like a slipped disc i assume this would show up on an xray.
  • I believe i am suffering from piriformis have found some great stretches and in less than a week the constant pain i was in has virtually gone. so happy!

Could be coincidance??
  • Gud effort Paul!
    A tight Piriformis can compress the sciatic nerve when it becomes tight, this compression leads to posterior leg pain and sometimes pins and needles in your foot but youv'e no doubt read bout this by now. If stretching relieves your symptoms so quickly sounds like your on the right lines. But dont forget to strengthen you gluts, espesh glut med since piriformis is a weak abductor and lateral rotator that frequently goes tight when over worked and called into substitue or aid weak gluts
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Steve - where do you work? You know your stuff.

My physio (also a bike rider) is really good - she's sorted me out several times. The right side of my body is cack, the left is fine. Recurring shoulder dislocation (almost sorted), dodgy muscle around my right scapula, flat right foot leading to weak inner knee (right) and that's also led to a dodgy hip on occasions - yet a week before a triathlon I was hobbling and felt pretty sore. Two intense physio sessions and I won the Sprint class.

Physio is absolutely brilliant - worth it's weight in gold.
  • Hi guys just to report back. No pun intended. After lots of nagging i managed to get an MRI scan and evertything is well with discs no compressed nerves also x rays and blood tests were fine. So it looks like i'm stuck with sciatic pain down my leg. What else is there to try i'm getting pretty bored of this now:-((.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Paulkingk wrote:
    I believe i am suffering from piriformis have found some great stretches and in less than a week the constant pain i was in has virtually gone. so happy!

Could be coincidance??

Take it this didn't work long term
  • Hell no!!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    shame :cry:
  • Dwhit
    Dwhit Posts: 10
    Have you continued doing the stretches regularly?
    I had a similar problem 2 years ago. It was made worse with sitting in the same position all day.
    Some days I could hardly walk it was that uncomfortable.
    My doc who seems to be pretty good with sporty types said it was a problem with the tendons between pelvis and thigh.
    He told me to carry on training the best I could but to make sure I stretched before and after training.
    There is a stretch machine at the gym and I use it everytime I go.
    So far so good as other than a few twinges in my lower back the pain down my leg has not returned.
    Dave W
    If you are of er, um, 'a certain age' like me, or want to lose weight or get fitter, you could find some tips at...Cycling For Fitness