Hard Tail with longer forks.

dudemark1
dudemark1 Posts: 14
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Hi guys I hope everyone is well and not letting the weather put off your riding?

I know there have been a few discussions on here in the past regarding Hard Tail MTB's with longer forks.
Iv'e though previous theads and I think that the Pro's outway the Cons so thinking of
getting some 130mm or 140mm forks for my bike as cant afford a big full suss just yet.
Only thing is I'm not sure if my frame is suitable.
I have a 18inch Kona Cindercone it can definatelly take a bash or two (experience has told me that) but would like to know if anyone has done this already?

Im aware the geometry will change, which is what im looking for, for the downs sections.
Was also thinking of getting some high riser bars too.

any help/advice/opions would be greatly appreciated.
here is the standard spec if it helps:

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=cindercone
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I'd be very cautious putting a 140mm fork on a bike that comes with 100 as standard - the extra length of the fork puts more leverage on the frame, which i may not be designed to take. The end result will likely be a cracked frame or worst completely snapped frame.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I'd be very cautious putting a 140mm fork on a bike that comes with 100 as standard - the extra length of the fork puts more leverage on the frame, which i may not be designed to take. The end result will likely be a cracked frame or worst completely snapped frame.

Plus it will make it look like something off Orange County Choppers and it'll steer like a dead pig in lead boots.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Yeah That make sence I suppose.
    Think ill push the forks up to 120mm and get the high riser bars.
    This should give me the slacker angle im looking for without putting to much strain on
    frame rear end.

Still would like to hear other peoples opions if you have this bike or have upgraded another, any potensial issues you came accross?

Also anyone know if the hubs are any good or should think of upgrading these aswel?
    Only ask as was out a a very rooty/rocky trail last week and 1 of the guys on a RockHopper knacked his hubs?
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    My mate found out a wee while ago not to fit longer forks to a frame that was not designed for them...

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... er-frame-o
  • Wololo
    Wololo Posts: 36
    Your frame isn't suitable and it will invalidate the warranty if you put a longer fork on it.

Save your money towards something like a Kona Five-O.