Commuting in ordinary clothes

elevensees
elevensees Posts: 21
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I always commute in proper cycling gear; lycra shorts under baggies, merino top under fleece, shoes ,helmet, gloves, etc., etc. My ride is only 10 miles each way and this week I've almost not felt the need for all the proper getup. Maybe I've not ridden as hard or maybe it's cold enough that I'm not getting as hot, but when I'm washing I keep thinking I could get away with ordinary clothes, maybe a change of shoes, although I gone to flat pedals recently, so might not even need that.
I think it would be nice to just turn up, lock up and go straight in to work.
My question is, what's the longest (distance or time) anyone commutes in their office kit and is it manageable day to day with maybe a set of waterproofs pants, jacket and overshoes (which I've already got)? I work in an office so I need to be clean and reasonably pleasant smelling!

Comments

• I cycle 9 miles each way. I prefer to have, at minimum, a change of trousers, mainly to avoid wearing them out where they contact the saddle.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Depends how hard you pedal, I still sweat in these conditions – it takes me around 15 min to do my close-to-5 miles each way commute.

How long do your 10 miles take? 1 hour?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I've cycled to friends houses in jeans, but even then I've had the padded inners from the baggy cycling shorts on as underwear and despite it being cold and at night, and not wanting to push at all hard, I'm not 100% fresh when I get there.
    I could probably do this going to work (all 2.5 miles of it) but I could always be earlier getting in, and there are two drags uphill on the way (nothing taxing, just gentle drags) so the idea of taking it gentle enough not to get sweaty just doesn't seem like it would happen every day. There are days when I get very sweaty, especially in the summer.
    Waterproofs are not going to help avois the sweat (boil in the bag being a common problem) and I'd worry about dirt from the road/oil marks on the legs etc. My cycling top has cycling pockets, ideal for sandwiches and a secondary lock and the like, not an option with a normal top.
    Showering at work after the ride in and changing into clean clothes is a much more attractive option.
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    edited December 2009
    Cycling in extraordinary clothes.

Saw a guy in Cambridge the other day cycling in a Tuxedo. :lol:
  • my commute is 2 miles but I'd be fine with a few more, just normal clothes, bike is big heavy with mudguards etc so while I get wet from rain, I don't get mucky.

I do make some considerations namely I try to wear trowsers that don't need bike clips.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    elevensees wrote:
    My question is, what's the longest (distance or time) anyone commutes in their office kit and is it manageable day to day with maybe a set of waterproofs pants, jacket and overshoes (which I've already got)? I work in an office so I need to be clean and reasonably pleasant smelling!

In my case I'd probably have oil on my shirt before I got the bike out of the garage.

Bob
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,210
    Personally I wouldn't do it - I sweat enough on my 12/13 miler to make a shower and change of clothes a 'must do'. Also if rains or you get covered in spray & crap, it's not going to be very nice.....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • my commute is also only about 15mins but I have to shower and whole new set of clothes for work as I get so hot. I can manage about a mile in 'normal' clothes but even thats pushing it. Maybe I should not try so hard? :shock:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Even with mudguards my legs get dirty from the lanes around here. I stick to lycra shorts and keep my office clothes in the pannier. It also means I have some dry stuff to change into if it is raining on the way.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    My commute's only 3.5 miles each way but I still wear my cycling kit. Then I know I've got a full change of clothes (and a shower at work) and don't have to worry about pushing too hard and getting sweaty, or getting soaked in the rain, or getting splashed with road muck, or getting my trouser leg trapped in the chain, etcetera etcetera...

I love the smug feeling on mornings when it's pouring down, everyone's arriving from the walk from the bus stop or car park with soggy socks and shoes and damp trousers, and I'm in a clean, dry set of clothes :lol:
  • I think, on balance, continuing with bike kit is probably the best way forward. Maybe I was just daydreaming of wafting along on a big old Pashley, rather than the murky half hour slog that I sometimes endure! Just got to thinking, because I've seen quite a few people recently who don't look at all prepared for winter, pootling along in civvies.
    Thanks for all the thoughts. :)