Help Selecting a Messenger Bag

CheddarTrek
CheddarTrek Posts: 9
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I am looking to buy myself a nice Messenger Bag for Christmas, and to be honest spending up to 200 dollars on this is probably fine so long as I am extremely happy with the result.

I am looking to buy one that is between about 750 and 850 cubic inches (12-14 L). So far I am leaning towards the following:

CourierWare Super Deluxe Small

Eastpak Jr

I have also looked at some bags from Manhattan Portage, Chrome, Timbuk2, and various other places. I do not like Timbuk2 bags because their buckle is incredibly irritating to me. Most of the other places do not have bags in the correct size I am looking for, though MP has a few.

I use the bag when riding my bike as well as walking about. In fact I use my current bag (an 800 cu. backpack) for everything from a change of clothes to carrying items in theme parks to schoolbooks to day hiking -- so my use will of the bag will be very versatile, even though the majority of the usage will be bike-related.

So my questions are as follows:

(1) Does anyone have a CourierWare bag? I have heard that when closed they do not seal well and water pours into the bag if you have it out in the rain. Also I do not know what kind of buckle it will have or what it will look like or how it will work -- and that's important. I'd like to know.

(2) Does anyone know how I can purchase an Eastpak Jr in the United States other than using eBay? If not, does anyone know a site where I can see a picture of an Eastpak Jr both opened so I can see the inside and on a person so I can see what it looks like size-wise while worn?

(3) Can anyone suggest an alternative to these bags? Again I am looking for Messenger Style bags in the size range of 750-850 cubic inches (~12-14 L).

Thanks

Comments

• Not sure about the size but I find the North Face bags ok as a general bag.

Not perfect for riding by any means but I use mine in a similar way that you suggest so it needs to work well for lots of things.
  • I do not like Timbuk2 bags because their buckle is incredibly irritating to me.

OK- unhelpful comment, given what you've said, but never use the buckles on mine. The Velcro is always more than sufficient to seal the bag (I've had it getting on for ten years now).

The big plus in the Timbuk2 range is that you can custom-design your bag through their website. Pretty certain you'll like what you end up with doing it that way.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • www.baileyworks.com

I've got one of these and it has been superb. Massive, loads of pockets, comfy strap, completley waterproof and very hardwearing. Recommended.
    <a>road</a>
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've got one of these and it's superb, totally, utterly, superb. http://www.reloadbags.com/ Plus you can have them custom made.
  • leoccp
    leoccp Posts: 45
    These are very well regarded http://www.pacdesigns.com/ quite pricey though, but should last very well.

I have a timbuk2, it's still going strong and waterproof (2-3 years use), but agree worst thing is the adjustment buckle on the main strap. If you happen to knock it open with a heavy bag, you pretty much have to remove the bag to readjust. Also it's difficult to get into with the strap properly tightened.
  • Hey all! Thanks very much for your tips and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated.

Greg66 -- the buckle on the Timbuk2 I am complaining about isn't the one (ones) near the velcro, I am referring to the one leoccp mentions, the cam buckle, on the main strap.

North Face, BaileyWorks, ReloadBags, and Pac Designs -- checking all of these out. So far everything I have looked at has appeared to be of superb quality and all of them are customizable to the size that I would like to buy. I agree that Timbuk2 is high quality, and the high customization via their site is great, but the Cam Buckle I just couldn't abide when I tried using one.

Can't thank you all enough, but thanks. :wink: I'm still open to more suggestions as I have a few days left before I'm going to order it in time for Xmas, but between the ones I had found originally and all of these excellent suggestions I think I can definately find something to suit my needs.

Cheers,
    CT
  • What exactly is irritating about a cam buckle that enables instant adjustment, but stays put indefinitely if not touched?

Yes, personally I prefer to faff with adjusting a strap through a buckle every time I add or remove something from the bag.

:?
  • Can heartily recommend: http://bagaboo.hu/
  • O'Day
    O'Day Posts: 26
    Not sure about the size but I find the North Face bags ok as a general bag.

Not perfect for riding by any means but I use mine in a similar way that you suggest so it needs to work well for lots of things.

Likewise. I've got one of these:
    VS_NF_messangerbag.jpg
    Looks great, holds loads (20L), secure (buckles and zips), decent quality of manufacture and materials, and waterproof.

However, now that Summer's arrived with its wretched humidity, the downside of a 100% waterproof PVC bag resting on my back is apparent. You might want to consider bag fabric from both the perspectives of water resistance and breathability.