Running directional tyres the wrong way ?

-liam-
-liam- Posts: 1,831
edited December 2009 in MTB general
I've taken off my panaracers and fitted some maxxis ignitors. Now I've read before, including with regards the panaracers about running the rear tyre in the wrong direction to help up hill grip.

Does this really help ? But to the detriment of what exactly ?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I noticed when I fitted my rear nevegal the wrong way round, it was a lot slower and actually grips better when pedalling in mud but not as good over rocks. I imagine different tyres will act in different ways.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    It'll affect rolling resistance and braking I imagine.

There are a few tyres that are best run the wrong way around, Michilin Comp 16s for example roll like crap and don't brake right the right way around. Turn them around (so that the spades are the same direction as on highrollers) and they're great.
  • IME it definitely makes a difference. I use Larsen's on the rear over summer and they are totally different depending on whether you have the ramped edges facing. I run them the wrong way (ramped edges to the rear) because they are a lot better for braking like that but it is at a noticeable cost to uphill traction. With the HR's I find little difference on climbing but I'm using 2.5 UST ST's so they're pretty grippy anyway! I've never noticed a difference in either tyre wrt rolling resistance. Having said that I ride a lot and my bike isn't exactly a race whippet!

Try them both ways, it doesn't take long (unless you're running tubeless) and you should see the difference pretty quickly.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    I've known 4X riders turn the rear HR the wrong way round to give them better traction off the line, but they roll slower like that. I tried it once, but I wasn't a fan of the total lack of braking.
  • Probably fine. MBR run most of their routes the wrong way round after all ;)
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    -Liam- wrote:
    I've taken off my panaracers and fitted some maxxis ignitors. Now I've read before, including with regards the panaracers about running the rear tyre in the wrong direction to help up hill grip.

Does this really help ? But to the detriment of what exactly ?

It will increase your uphill traction but braking will be compromised.

I'm not a fan of ramped edged tyres for the rear.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I too have run my rear high roller the wrong way round. It basically turns the ramped knobs into scoops.

So while this can help in the mud as it scoops into the mud to provide more traction the rolling resistance was more and didn't feel as confident during braking. overall I much preferred running them the normal way.

As said before, give it a try? you can always switch them back.
  • Reversing tyres is stupid especially chevron tyres The idea is on the road they push the water forward and outwards, on mud the slip pushes the mud to the outside cleaning the tread as is the case with tractor tyres Raleigh gave the same advice for their Bomber Check for direction arrows and if not default to the above An easy way to gain traction is cut out a rectangular milk bottle plastic tyre scraper Attachment not found.
  • Depends, I tend to run my rampages (similar to the nevegal) with the front with the square edge forwards and the rear facing backwards, that gives me traction at the back and cornering/braking grip at the front.

Works better than both the same way, for a little extra rolling resistance.